Re: [SCA Newcomers] I got my blue card....

  • R Gray
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4 7:42 AM
      Congrats!!! I haven't decided if I'm going to take
      the plunge right away and become a member within 2
      months of joining my shire. Anyone have any thoughts
      on this subject??

      Anplica de Spina (aka Rae)
      --- Maya Johnson <maya@...> wrote:
      > I am very happy today!!!!
      > I went to the mail this morning and what should be
      > there...but My Blue
      > card!! WOOOHOOOOO.....after being in the SCA a year
      > (but never a member) I
      > finally went and sent it in about a month ago...and
      > I got it today!!! I am
      > sooooo happy!!!! YEAH!!!!!
      >
      > --Dhanwanti of Varanasi
      > Chronicler for the Canton of Aschehyrst...
      > in the Barony of Carolingia
      > in the Kingdom of the East

      http://tax.yahoo.com
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4 8:01 AM
        On Friday 04 April 2003 10:42, R Gray wrote:
        > Congrats!!! I haven't decided if I'm going to take
        > the plunge right away and become a member within 2
        > months of joining my shire. Anyone have any thoughts
        > on this subject??

        With the $3 nonmember event surcharge, if you're pretty sure you are going
        to continue in this hobby, the membership is a definite worthwhile thing to
        do. It also lets you hold office, something that I would encourage more new
        members to try. A lot of new folks are hesitant, and indeed it's good to have
        *some* experience, but you can learn most of the group offices by being a
        deputy for six months or so. If you plan to go to Pennsic, you will save
        most of the cost of a membership on that event alone.

        There's also something to be said for supporting the organization where we
        all have fun. The corporate offices pay a great deal of money to our insurance
        company each year, so that local groups don't have to buy expensive liability
        policies. And this policy *does* get used. The corporate office also has legal
        counsel on retainer to handle lawsuits, which happen from time to time in any
        large organization. It's very good not to have to worry about these things in
        your local shire, because most of us would rather have fun than worry about
        lawsuits and insurance. Your membership dues help to pay for these things,
        and they also fund other administrative things that we thus don't have to
        do locally.

        Your membership also gets you a subscription to your Kingdom newsletter, which
        is a great way to know what events are coming up.

        Finally, I would suggest to all who are joining the SCA to consider, depending
        on your financial resources, paying the extra money for a subscription to
        Tournaments Illuminated. This is a fantastic magazine, full of great research
        articles. It's always been "good" in my opinion, but in the past several years
        I have been amazed to see how the quality and content have gotten even better.
        If you can afford it, TI is a very worthwhile research investment.

        Who should *not* buy a membership? People who are just attending their first
        event or two, and who aren't sure if this is a hobby they will continue to
        pursue. The SCA isn't for everyone, and it's nice to be able to "try it out"
        without paying for a membership.

        Just my opinion, probably worth exactly what you paid for it. ;-)

        fesswise reversed sable.

      • chemistbb3
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 4 4:21 PM
          Sorry, I'm probably the wrong guy to ask. I had my blue card before
          I even went to my first meeting, much less my first event.

          William

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, R Gray <winterstar74@y...> wrote:
          > Congrats!!! I haven't decided if I'm going to take
          > the plunge right away and become a member within 2
          > months of joining my shire. Anyone have any thoughts
          > on this subject??
          >
          > Anplica de Spina (aka Rae)
        • katrynia
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4 9:53 PM
            i am right along with you William.. i was going to things before my
            blue card came..meeting people.. and making some new friends....and
            within this two months .. i have taken up archery.. and going to the
            fletching guild..to make my set of arrows.. and going to our April
            *swap* moot... to see if i can pick up some things i probly
            need...borrowing some garb for the occasion.. as my own garb is not
            completed yet..
            i don't see the reason for waiting.. hehe.. but some like to try
            things out first.. me...i jump right in i guess...
            katrynia
            from the Barony of Jararvellir
            Kingdom of the Middle...

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, chemistbb3 <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:
            > Sorry, I'm probably the wrong guy to ask. I had my blue card
            before
            > I even went to my first meeting, much less my first event.
            >
            > William
            >
            > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, R Gray <winterstar74@y...>
            wrote:
            > > Congrats!!! I haven't decided if I'm going to take
            > > the plunge right away and become a member within 2
            > > months of joining my shire. Anyone have any thoughts
            > > on this subject??
            > >
            > > Anplica de Spina (aka Rae)
          • Jack Dingler
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 9 9:59 AM
              <justin@4...> wrote:
              > On Friday 04 April 2003 10:42, R Gray wrote:
              > > Congrats!!! I haven't decided if I'm going to take
              > > the plunge right away and become a member within 2
              > > months of joining my shire. Anyone have any thoughts
              > > on this subject??
              >
              > With the $3 nonmember event surcharge, if you're pretty sure you are
              going
              > to continue in this hobby, the membership is a definite worthwhile
              thing to
              > do. It also lets you hold office, something that I would encourage
              more new
              > members to try. A lot of new folks are hesitant, and indeed it's
              good to have
              > *some* experience, but you can learn most of the group offices by
              being a
              > deputy for six months or so. If you plan to go to Pennsic, you will save
              > most of the cost of a membership on that event alone.

              Ok, thanks for the encouragement. :)

              I've applied for the position of Minister of A&S, in my local chapter.
              I joined primarily because this is my interest. Since our local group
              doesn't have an officer, I was at a loss as to how to get in touch
              with folks regarding A&S.

              I'm meeting with our Seneschal this evening...

              Holding my nose, jumping in feet first...

              Jack Dingler
              The Shire of Emerald Keep
              Kingdom of Ansteorra
            • chemistbb3
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 9 1:12 PM
                If you haven't gotten a copy of the Black Star, let me know and I'll
                send you the contact info for your regional Minister of A&S, Lady
                Julianna Verture and the Kingdom Minister of A&S, Mistress Kasilda
                Kubasek. They should be able to help you and get you started. Also,
                if you have any Laurels or Apprentices in your group, they would be a
                great source of info and help, especially as it would be in their
                interest for you to succeed.

                A first step would be to find out what guilds/groups are already
                organized. Another thing would be to do a survey of who has what
                skills and what are the interests of the populace. You can work from
                there.

                William

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Dingler"
                <weaseldog2001@y...> wrote:
                > Ok, thanks for the encouragement. :)
                >
                > I've applied for the position of Minister of A&S, in my local
                chapter.
                > I joined primarily because this is my interest. Since our local
                group
                > doesn't have an officer, I was at a loss as to how to get in touch
                > with folks regarding A&S.
                >
                > I'm meeting with our Seneschal this evening...
                >
                > Holding my nose, jumping in feet first...
                >
                > Jack Dingler
                > The Shire of Emerald Keep
                > Kingdom of Ansteorra
              • Jack Dingler
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 9 1:22 PM
                  Thank you very much. I have received my first Black Star, but my wife
                  has only allowed me one glance at it so far. :)

                  Looks like she's already making arrangements for us to go to Warlord
                  XXX. She's having some success sewing her first dress and is getting
                  into the spirit.

                  Jack Dingler

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, chemistbb3 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > If you haven't gotten a copy of the Black Star, let me know and I'll
                  > send you the contact info for your regional Minister of A&S, Lady
                  > Julianna Verture and the Kingdom Minister of A&S, Mistress Kasilda
                  > Kubasek. They should be able to help you and get you started. Also,
                  > if you have any Laurels or Apprentices in your group, they would be a
                  > great source of info and help, especially as it would be in their
                  > interest for you to succeed.
                  >
                  > A first step would be to find out what guilds/groups are already
                  > organized. Another thing would be to do a survey of who has what
                  > skills and what are the interests of the populace. You can work from
                  > there.
                  >
                  > William
                  >

                  > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Dingler"
                  > <weaseldog2001@y...> wrote:
                  > > Ok, thanks for the encouragement. :)
                  > >
                  > > I've applied for the position of Minister of A&S, in my local
                  > chapter.
                  > > I joined primarily because this is my interest. Since our local
                  > group
                  > > doesn't have an officer, I was at a loss as to how to get in touch
                  > > with folks regarding A&S.
                  > >
                  > > I'm meeting with our Seneschal this evening...
                  > >
                  > > Holding my nose, jumping in feet first...
                  > >
                  > > Jack Dingler
                  > > The Shire of Emerald Keep
                  > > Kingdom of Ansteorra
                • R Gray
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 9 2:07 PM
                    Go Jack Go! I've been thinking about taking the
                    plunge myself and going for my shire's Herald
                    position. Our current Herald is only around until we
                    find a replacement or until the end of the year,
                    whatever comes first, & we have about 6 or so active
                    members, most of whom have been in the SCA for 10+ yrs
                    but still! Eeeeeeeekkkkk! Am I ready for that kind
                    of committment? (Or am I ready to be committed?!)

                    Anplica de Spina

                    > I've applied for the position of Minister of A&S, in
                    > my local chapter.
                    > I joined primarily because this is my interest.
                    > Since our local group
                    > doesn't have an officer, I was at a loss as to how
                    > to get in touch
                    > with folks regarding A&S.
                    >
                    > I'm meeting with our Seneschal this evening...
                    >
                    > Holding my nose, jumping in feet first...
                    >
                    > Jack Dingler
                    > The Shire of Emerald Keep
                    > Kingdom of Ansteorra

                    http://tax.yahoo.com
                  • Steve Rourke
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 9 2:14 PM
                      Actually The Central Regional A&S Minister in Ansteorra is H.L. Asa
                      Hrafnasdottir.

                      Dohmnall
                      Central Regional Hospitaler & MoAS Canton of Loch Ruadh
                      > If you haven't gotten a copy of the Black Star, let me know and I'll
                      > send you the contact info for your regional Minister of A&S, Lady
                      > Julianna Verture and the Kingdom Minister of A&S, Mistress Kasilda
                      > Kubasek. They should be able to help you and get you started. Also,
                      > if you have any Laurels or Apprentices in your group, they would be a
                      > great source of info and help, especially as it would be in their
                      > interest for you to succeed.
                      >
                      > A first step would be to find out what guilds/groups are already
                      > organized. Another thing would be to do a survey of who has what
                      > skills and what are the interests of the populace. You can work from
                      > there.
                      >
                      > William
                      >

                      > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Dingler"
                      > <weaseldog2001@y...> wrote:
                      > > Ok, thanks for the encouragement. :)
                      > >
                      > > I've applied for the position of Minister of A&S, in my local
                      > chapter.
                      > > I joined primarily because this is my interest. Since our local
                      > group
                      > > doesn't have an officer, I was at a loss as to how to get in touch
                      > > with folks regarding A&S.
                      > >
                      > > I'm meeting with our Seneschal this evening...
                      > >
                      > > Holding my nose, jumping in feet first...
                      > >
                      > > Jack Dingler
                      > > The Shire of Emerald Keep
                      > > Kingdom of Ansteorra

                      ---
                    • chemistbb3
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 9 6:29 PM
                        Must be a change since the info went into the elusive March edition.

                        William

                        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Rourke"

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 9 6:33 PM
                          Come, Come to the dark side young one... (LMHO)

                          I was working on that myself (deputy herald-in-training) until
                          the "other thing" came up. I thing heraldry, both field and book, is
                          a lot of fun. Well, it is something I can fall back on later.

                          William

                          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, R Gray <winterstar74@y...> wrote:
                          > Go Jack Go! I've been thinking about taking the
                          > plunge myself and going for my shire's Herald
                          > position. Our current Herald is only around until we
                          > find a replacement or until the end of the year,
                          > whatever comes first, & we have about 6 or so active
                          > members, most of whom have been in the SCA for 10+ yrs
                          > but still! Eeeeeeeekkkkk! Am I ready for that kind
                          > of committment? (Or am I ready to be committed?!)
                          >
                          > Anplica de Spina

                        • Steve Rourke
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 9 11:50 PM
                            > Must be a change since the info went into the elusive March edition.
                            >
                            > William

                            The change became effective at Coronation in January, but like many things
                            it takes time for the chroniclers to make the nessesary changes.

                            Dohmnall

                            ---
                          • R Gray
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 10 9:37 AM
                              --- chemistbb3 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                              > Come, Come to the dark side young one... (LMHO)

                              LOL - Well we'll just have to see. Our shire's
                              meeting is tonight, & I faxed my application for
                              membership yesterday, so there's nothing to stop me
                              from becoming one with the dark side (or would that be
                              the sable side?). I did find a name for myself, and
                              an working on a blazon by myself, so maybe I have what
                              it takes.

                              Of course, if I become a herald, wouldn't I just HAVE
                              to go out shopping for lots of fun books and fabrics
                              and other stuff. Hmmmmm...maybe I should do that
                              anyways! :)

                              Anplica de Spina

                              http://tax.yahoo.com