Medieval Event***TORONTO

  • lilolondonnowoeoforwic
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 3, 2003
      Awright, me lords an' ladies,
      I 'as a scroill fer ya ta read from Hightower's superior courts, an'
      tha Imperial courts of Ultima Thule...
      *unfurls tha scroll*

      ((Please note the date has been changed to Sunday May 25))

      ********** EVENT NOTICE **********
      *~ May Day Festival in Hightower~*

      DATE: SUNDAY, May 25, 2003
      ASHBRIDGES BAY park (at the foot of Coxwell Avenue)
      TORONTO, Ontario Canada

      1)arrive at the beach EARLYE! 11ish

      2)NOON:the Bridal show to determin the most beautiful (best bribes)
      lord & lady of the competition to be crowned the King and Queen of
      the Mayday festival
      *Competitors MUST be single!
      *they should submit arts & sciences contribution with documention,
      (talent & intelligence portion)
      *Bribe, (the historical portion, HRM LOVES red wine)
      *beauty portion (insignificant as it's the bribe that counts)

      3)Boffer Tourney

      4)Children's activity, fae-dust treasure hunt,

      5)Kitchen Utensils Tourney

      6) Feaste/picnic on the beach

      7)Court

      8) Bardic circle, drumming dancing

      9) Ren Dancing

      (come dressed in garb as the change rooms are far away..)
      BYOB/BYOF
      WE are on the beach so be prepared for spectators, geese and gulls!!
      If inclement weather, the event will be held at the Queen's Palace
      unless we find a larger site.
      There is no site fee although people are asked to donate to the
      kingdom to offset our debts.

      You may join our local kingdom court at:

      for up to date local gatherings for moots, medieval movies, bardic
      circle, and arts & sciences meetings.
      These are usually held at the Queen's palace every second and fourth
      Friday of the month!

      For more info: kindly email HRM Anastasia the Innocent at:
      kingdom_of_hightower@...
      or
      alternatively at:
      ldy_anastasia@...

      *ahem..*

      Might I add that this event be open ta ALL good gentles of Medieval
      enactment belongin' ta noble organizations one an' all.

      CHEERS!
      £i£

      (who ain't renewin' 'er membership ta tha SCA fer a while since it
      ain't worth it since 'er local canton don't throw enuff events ta
      make it worth 'er while, and they shoot down other folks ideas fer
      events. No more blue card fer this gal. FEr tha one er two events
      goin' it's cheaper ta jus' pay tha $4 surcharge.)

      -- Iustinos Tekton called Justin wrote:
      > On Thursday 03 April 2003 18:01, Maya Johnson wrote:
      > > I am very happy today!!!!
      > > I went to the mail this morning and what should be there...but My
      Blue
      > > card!!
      >
      > Terrific news! Welcome to the rolls of paid membership!
    • R Gray
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4, 2003
        Congrats!!! I haven't decided if I'm going to take
        the plunge right away and become a member within 2
        months of joining my shire. Anyone have any thoughts
        on this subject??

        Anplica de Spina (aka Rae)
        --- Maya Johnson <maya@...> wrote:
        > I am very happy today!!!!
        > I went to the mail this morning and what should be
        > there...but My Blue
        > card!! WOOOHOOOOO.....after being in the SCA a year
        > (but never a member) I
        > finally went and sent it in about a month ago...and
        > I got it today!!! I am
        > sooooo happy!!!! YEAH!!!!!
        >
        > --Dhanwanti of Varanasi
        > Chronicler for the Canton of Aschehyrst...
        > in the Barony of Carolingia
        > in the Kingdom of the East

        http://tax.yahoo.com
      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 4, 2003
          On Friday 04 April 2003 10:42, R Gray wrote:
          > Congrats!!! I haven't decided if I'm going to take
          > the plunge right away and become a member within 2
          > months of joining my shire. Anyone have any thoughts
          > on this subject??

          With the $3 nonmember event surcharge, if you're pretty sure you are going
          to continue in this hobby, the membership is a definite worthwhile thing to
          do. It also lets you hold office, something that I would encourage more new
          members to try. A lot of new folks are hesitant, and indeed it's good to have
          *some* experience, but you can learn most of the group offices by being a
          deputy for six months or so. If you plan to go to Pennsic, you will save
          most of the cost of a membership on that event alone.

          There's also something to be said for supporting the organization where we
          all have fun. The corporate offices pay a great deal of money to our insurance
          company each year, so that local groups don't have to buy expensive liability
          policies. And this policy *does* get used. The corporate office also has legal
          counsel on retainer to handle lawsuits, which happen from time to time in any
          large organization. It's very good not to have to worry about these things in
          your local shire, because most of us would rather have fun than worry about
          lawsuits and insurance. Your membership dues help to pay for these things,
          and they also fund other administrative things that we thus don't have to
          do locally.

          Your membership also gets you a subscription to your Kingdom newsletter, which
          is a great way to know what events are coming up.

          Finally, I would suggest to all who are joining the SCA to consider, depending
          on your financial resources, paying the extra money for a subscription to
          Tournaments Illuminated. This is a fantastic magazine, full of great research
          articles. It's always been "good" in my opinion, but in the past several years
          I have been amazed to see how the quality and content have gotten even better.
          If you can afford it, TI is a very worthwhile research investment.

          Who should *not* buy a membership? People who are just attending their first
          event or two, and who aren't sure if this is a hobby they will continue to
          pursue. The SCA isn't for everyone, and it's nice to be able to "try it out"
          without paying for a membership.

          Just my opinion, probably worth exactly what you paid for it. ;-)

          fesswise reversed sable.

        • chemistbb3
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4, 2003
            Sorry, I'm probably the wrong guy to ask. I had my blue card before
            I even went to my first meeting, much less my first event.

            William

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, R Gray <winterstar74@y...> wrote:
            > Congrats!!! I haven't decided if I'm going to take
            > the plunge right away and become a member within 2
            > months of joining my shire. Anyone have any thoughts
            > on this subject??
            >
            > Anplica de Spina (aka Rae)
          • katrynia
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 4, 2003
              i am right along with you William.. i was going to things before my
              blue card came..meeting people.. and making some new friends....and
              within this two months .. i have taken up archery.. and going to the
              fletching guild..to make my set of arrows.. and going to our April
              *swap* moot... to see if i can pick up some things i probly
              need...borrowing some garb for the occasion.. as my own garb is not
              completed yet..
              i don't see the reason for waiting.. hehe.. but some like to try
              things out first.. me...i jump right in i guess...
              katrynia
              from the Barony of Jararvellir
              Kingdom of the Middle...

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, chemistbb3 <no_reply@y...>
              wrote:
              > Sorry, I'm probably the wrong guy to ask. I had my blue card
              before
              > I even went to my first meeting, much less my first event.
              >
              > William
              >
              > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, R Gray <winterstar74@y...>
              wrote:
              > > Congrats!!! I haven't decided if I'm going to take
              > > the plunge right away and become a member within 2
              > > months of joining my shire. Anyone have any thoughts
              > > on this subject??
              > >
              > > Anplica de Spina (aka Rae)
            • Jack Dingler
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
                <justin@4...> wrote:
                > On Friday 04 April 2003 10:42, R Gray wrote:
                > > Congrats!!! I haven't decided if I'm going to take
                > > the plunge right away and become a member within 2
                > > months of joining my shire. Anyone have any thoughts
                > > on this subject??
                >
                > With the $3 nonmember event surcharge, if you're pretty sure you are
                going
                > to continue in this hobby, the membership is a definite worthwhile
                thing to
                > do. It also lets you hold office, something that I would encourage
                more new
                > members to try. A lot of new folks are hesitant, and indeed it's
                good to have
                > *some* experience, but you can learn most of the group offices by
                being a
                > deputy for six months or so. If you plan to go to Pennsic, you will save
                > most of the cost of a membership on that event alone.

                Ok, thanks for the encouragement. :)

                I've applied for the position of Minister of A&S, in my local chapter.
                I joined primarily because this is my interest. Since our local group
                doesn't have an officer, I was at a loss as to how to get in touch
                with folks regarding A&S.

                I'm meeting with our Seneschal this evening...

                Holding my nose, jumping in feet first...

                Jack Dingler
                The Shire of Emerald Keep
                Kingdom of Ansteorra
              • chemistbb3
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
                  If you haven't gotten a copy of the Black Star, let me know and I'll
                  send you the contact info for your regional Minister of A&S, Lady
                  Julianna Verture and the Kingdom Minister of A&S, Mistress Kasilda
                  Kubasek. They should be able to help you and get you started. Also,
                  if you have any Laurels or Apprentices in your group, they would be a
                  great source of info and help, especially as it would be in their
                  interest for you to succeed.

                  A first step would be to find out what guilds/groups are already
                  organized. Another thing would be to do a survey of who has what
                  skills and what are the interests of the populace. You can work from
                  there.

                  William

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Dingler"
                  <weaseldog2001@y...> wrote:
                  > Ok, thanks for the encouragement. :)
                  >
                  > I've applied for the position of Minister of A&S, in my local
                  chapter.
                  > I joined primarily because this is my interest. Since our local
                  group
                  > doesn't have an officer, I was at a loss as to how to get in touch
                  > with folks regarding A&S.
                  >
                  > I'm meeting with our Seneschal this evening...
                  >
                  > Holding my nose, jumping in feet first...
                  >
                  > Jack Dingler
                  > The Shire of Emerald Keep
                  > Kingdom of Ansteorra
                • Jack Dingler
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
                    Thank you very much. I have received my first Black Star, but my wife
                    has only allowed me one glance at it so far. :)

                    Looks like she's already making arrangements for us to go to Warlord
                    XXX. She's having some success sewing her first dress and is getting
                    into the spirit.

                    Jack Dingler

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, chemistbb3 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > If you haven't gotten a copy of the Black Star, let me know and I'll
                    > send you the contact info for your regional Minister of A&S, Lady
                    > Julianna Verture and the Kingdom Minister of A&S, Mistress Kasilda
                    > Kubasek. They should be able to help you and get you started. Also,
                    > if you have any Laurels or Apprentices in your group, they would be a
                    > great source of info and help, especially as it would be in their
                    > interest for you to succeed.
                    >
                    > A first step would be to find out what guilds/groups are already
                    > organized. Another thing would be to do a survey of who has what
                    > skills and what are the interests of the populace. You can work from
                    > there.
                    >
                    > William
                    >

                    > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Dingler"
                    > <weaseldog2001@y...> wrote:
                    > > Ok, thanks for the encouragement. :)
                    > >
                    > > I've applied for the position of Minister of A&S, in my local
                    > chapter.
                    > > I joined primarily because this is my interest. Since our local
                    > group
                    > > doesn't have an officer, I was at a loss as to how to get in touch
                    > > with folks regarding A&S.
                    > >
                    > > I'm meeting with our Seneschal this evening...
                    > >
                    > > Holding my nose, jumping in feet first...
                    > >
                    > > Jack Dingler
                    > > The Shire of Emerald Keep
                    > > Kingdom of Ansteorra
                  • R Gray
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
                      Go Jack Go! I've been thinking about taking the
                      plunge myself and going for my shire's Herald
                      position. Our current Herald is only around until we
                      find a replacement or until the end of the year,
                      whatever comes first, & we have about 6 or so active
                      members, most of whom have been in the SCA for 10+ yrs
                      but still! Eeeeeeeekkkkk! Am I ready for that kind
                      of committment? (Or am I ready to be committed?!)

                      Anplica de Spina

                      > I've applied for the position of Minister of A&S, in
                      > my local chapter.
                      > I joined primarily because this is my interest.
                      > Since our local group
                      > doesn't have an officer, I was at a loss as to how
                      > to get in touch
                      > with folks regarding A&S.
                      >
                      > I'm meeting with our Seneschal this evening...
                      >
                      > Holding my nose, jumping in feet first...
                      >
                      > Jack Dingler
                      > The Shire of Emerald Keep
                      > Kingdom of Ansteorra

                      http://tax.yahoo.com
                    • Steve Rourke
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
                        Actually The Central Regional A&S Minister in Ansteorra is H.L. Asa
                        Hrafnasdottir.

                        Dohmnall
                        Central Regional Hospitaler & MoAS Canton of Loch Ruadh
                        > If you haven't gotten a copy of the Black Star, let me know and I'll
                        > send you the contact info for your regional Minister of A&S, Lady
                        > Julianna Verture and the Kingdom Minister of A&S, Mistress Kasilda
                        > Kubasek. They should be able to help you and get you started. Also,
                        > if you have any Laurels or Apprentices in your group, they would be a
                        > great source of info and help, especially as it would be in their
                        > interest for you to succeed.
                        >
                        > A first step would be to find out what guilds/groups are already
                        > organized. Another thing would be to do a survey of who has what
                        > skills and what are the interests of the populace. You can work from
                        > there.
                        >
                        > William
                        >

                        > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Dingler"
                        > <weaseldog2001@y...> wrote:
                        > > Ok, thanks for the encouragement. :)
                        > >
                        > > I've applied for the position of Minister of A&S, in my local
                        > chapter.
                        > > I joined primarily because this is my interest. Since our local
                        > group
                        > > doesn't have an officer, I was at a loss as to how to get in touch
                        > > with folks regarding A&S.
                        > >
                        > > I'm meeting with our Seneschal this evening...
                        > >
                        > > Holding my nose, jumping in feet first...
                        > >
                        > > Jack Dingler
                        > > The Shire of Emerald Keep
                        > > Kingdom of Ansteorra

                        ---
                      • chemistbb3
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
                          Must be a change since the info went into the elusive March edition.

                          William

                          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Rourke"

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
                            Come, Come to the dark side young one... (LMHO)

                            I was working on that myself (deputy herald-in-training) until
                            the "other thing" came up. I thing heraldry, both field and book, is
                            a lot of fun. Well, it is something I can fall back on later.

                            William

                            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, R Gray <winterstar74@y...> wrote:
                            > Go Jack Go! I've been thinking about taking the
                            > plunge myself and going for my shire's Herald
                            > position. Our current Herald is only around until we
                            > find a replacement or until the end of the year,
                            > whatever comes first, & we have about 6 or so active
                            > members, most of whom have been in the SCA for 10+ yrs
                            > but still! Eeeeeeeekkkkk! Am I ready for that kind
                            > of committment? (Or am I ready to be committed?!)
                            >
                            > Anplica de Spina

                          • Steve Rourke
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
                              > Must be a change since the info went into the elusive March edition.
                              >
                              > William

                              The change became effective at Coronation in January, but like many things
                              it takes time for the chroniclers to make the nessesary changes.

                              Dohmnall

                              ---
                            • R Gray
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 10, 2003
                                --- chemistbb3 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                > Come, Come to the dark side young one... (LMHO)

                                LOL - Well we'll just have to see. Our shire's
                                meeting is tonight, & I faxed my application for
                                membership yesterday, so there's nothing to stop me
                                from becoming one with the dark side (or would that be
                                the sable side?). I did find a name for myself, and
                                an working on a blazon by myself, so maybe I have what
                                it takes.

                                Of course, if I become a herald, wouldn't I just HAVE
                                to go out shopping for lots of fun books and fabrics
                                and other stuff. Hmmmmm...maybe I should do that
                                anyways! :)

                                Anplica de Spina

                                http://tax.yahoo.com