Music sites

  • wambat13@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23, 2003
      Someone was looking for music/instrument info?

      Cheerio
      Along the coast road, by the headland
      the early lights of winter glow.
      I'll pour a cup to you my darling.
      And raise it up say Cheerio.
      Jethro Tull

      http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/
      Medieval Music FAQ page

      http://www.s-hamilton.k12.ia.us/antiqua/instrumt.html
      Medieval instrument info

      http://www.georgetown.edu/labyrinth/subjects/music/music.html
      Music database
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/classical/history/medieval.shtml
      Though inevitably a great deal has been lost, a large amount of music has
      come down to us from the beginnings of the written Western tradition up
      to the start of the Renaissance. Music associated with the church
      predominates. Though much is anonymous, the works of Hildegard of Bingen,
      an eleventh century German abbess, have become particularly admired over
      recent years. Less of the secular music of the age has survived, but from
      around 1250 there are examples of songs by troubadours and other
      entertainers whose traditions were primarily oral, not written.
      Church music
      Plainsong (or plainchant) refers to the unison chanting of the Latin
      liturgy. Both the Western and the Eastern churches were developing
      plainsong from around the fourth century, and by the eighth the two
      dominant types were Gregorian chant and Ambrosian chant.
      Polyphonic music arose within the Western church during the late Middle
      Ages as choirs made up of clergy responded to the desire for more
      sophisticated forms of worship. The term 'polyphony' (from the Greek for
      'many sounding') refers to the use of a number of simultaneous vocal
      lines as opposed to the single line (or 'monophony') of plainchant. The
      fourteenth-century French composer Guillaume de Machaut composed one of
      the earliest polyphonic settings of the Mass, the 'Messe de Nostre Dame'.
      Central to the polyphonic music of the period is the motet, which also
      originated at Notre Dame in Paris. 23 examples by Machaut survive.
      Secular music
      The most important forms of the late middle ages were all French in
      origin and derived from the dance.

      The virelai was a vocal form with a long repeated refrain
      The rondeau had its origins in the round dance.
      The ballade consisted of three stanzas and a concluding refrain.