Re: [SCA Newcomers] Very new person....

  • Michell Light
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 6, 2003
      Yes, the Barony of Gyldenholt has a Newcomers' Guild.
      I've been in the SCA for just a little over a year,
      and have just now started attending said meetings.
      It's a great place to meet some of the faces that you
      see wondering around at events. I've responded to
      Kristin off list as we are both in Gyldenholt, and I
      would be more than happy to introduce her to our
      Chatelaine. I recently met her a couple months ago
      and she is just the sweetest lady! Oh well, enough
      rambling for now. I really must get some work done
      this morning.

      Katrine

      --- Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>
      wrote:
      > On Wednesday 05 March 2003 22:50, Nataku wrote:
      > > Unfortunately, the
      > > Newcomers Guild of Gyldenholt meets Friday nights,
      > when I have work.
      >
      > Your barony has a Newcomers' Guild?! How very cool!
      > I've never seen such a
      > thing (I live in Ohio, so maybe it's a regional
      > custom where you are).
      >
      > Don't let it worry you if you can't make these
      > meetings, though. Tens of
      > thousands of people have joined the SCA and gotten
      > along without a specific
      > guild to help them. There's also the Chatelaine to
      > help, and you will find
      > that 99.99% of the people who've been in for a while
      > will be glad to help
      > you as well.
      >
      > Not that I'm saying the Newcomers' Guild is a bad
      > idea. Quite the contrary,
      > I think it's a fabulous idea. But you'll do fine
      > with or without this extra
      > bit of assistance.
      >
      > Welcome!
      >
      > Justin
      >
      > (P.S. -- We do, in fact, bite people on this list.
      > Really. Man, you should
      > have seen the tattered remains of the last person
      > .... [BIG GRIN])
      >
      > --
      > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
      > <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
      > Maistor Iustinos Tekton called Justin (Scott
      > Courtney)
      > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable, on a chief
      > dovetailed Or, two keys
      > fesswise reversed sable.
      >
      > Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio)
      > http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      > justin@... PGP Public Key at
      > http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • gypsycaine
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 6, 2003
        Reading your mind, milord Justin--just hush for two more months! Come May
        4th, I can start implementing things such as this!

        Grins.

        Mary

        wrote:
        > On Wednesday 05 March 2003 22:50, Nataku wrote:
        > > Unfortunately, the
        > > Newcomers Guild of Gyldenholt meets Friday nights,
        > when I have work.
        >
        > Your barony has a Newcomers' Guild?! How very cool!
        > I've never seen such a
        > thing (I live in Ohio, so maybe it's a regional
        > custom where you are).
        >
        > Don't let it worry you if you can't make these
        > meetings, though. Tens of
        > thousands of people have joined the SCA and gotten
        > along without a specific
        > guild to help them. There's also the Chatelaine to
        > help, and you will find
        > that 99.99% of the people who've been in for a while
        > will be glad to help
        > you as well.
        >
        > Not that I'm saying the Newcomers' Guild is a bad
        > idea. Quite the contrary,
        > I think it's a fabulous idea. But you'll do fine
        > with or without this extra
        > bit of assistance.
        >
        > Welcome!
        >
        > Justin
        >
        > (P.S. -- We do, in fact, bite people on this list.
        > Really. Man, you should
        > have seen the tattered remains of the last person
        > .... [BIG GRIN])
        >
        > --
        > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
        > <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
        > Maistor Iustinos Tekton called Justin (Scott
        > Courtney)
        > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable, on a chief
        > dovetailed Or, two keys
        > fesswise reversed sable.
        >
        > Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio)
        > http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        > justin@... PGP Public Key at
        > http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Richilla de Cardif
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 6, 2003
          Greetings!

          I am from a VERY small group - Marche of the Thistle, Oaken Region,
          Middle Kingdom - Wooster, Ohio.

          At any given meeting, we will have 3 or 4 people. This is VERY
          discouraging for a newbie such as myself. Luckily, Thistle is part of
          a proposed Barony. Thru the Barony I have found the most interesting
          people. I am hoping to try to go to some other groups meetings as my
          groups meetings are on Sunday... a VERY busy day with 2 kids!

          With such a small group, we have not chateline or welcoming guild or
          anything. Luckily, I am one that will go out and find what I need.

          Richilla de Cardif

          mka Andi Williams

        • gypsycaine
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 6, 2003
            Milady Richilla,

            Might I propose something? If you see the opening in the officer-line up,
            step in! As you have now been around for a little while (and it was GREAT
            to meet you and your daughter at the Masque!), you have an idea of what the
            Chatelaine's role is and how to fill the shoes. The only problem is that if
            you do the job for long enough, the rest of them will vote you in! Grins....
            (MoY! lol)

            And I am thinking strongly of the newcomers' guild part, but with an area as
            large as ours, no car, and other small details (like college!), it might
            take a bit of time to get it started. Care to join me in the planning?

            :)

            Mary

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 6, 2003
              On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 04:28 PM, gypsycaine wrote:

              > And I am thinking strongly of the newcomers' guild part, but with an
              > area as
              > large as ours, no car, and other small details (like college!), it
              > might
              > take a bit of time to get it started.  Care to join me in the planning?

              Count me in!

              Richilla de Cardif
              mom to David de Cardif and Jeliana de Cardif

              mka Andi Williams

            • Hannah Blake
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 6, 2003
                While my shire doesn't have a *guild*, we do have meetings for newcomers
                once a month hosted by the Chatelaine. We're also having a garb-making
                session this month, for folks who need their first basic T-tunic. :)

                I was kind of hesitant about starting in the SCA all by myself--I'm a bit
                shy and retiring until I warm up ;) --and these meetings have been great for
                me! Now I'm branching out a bit--have gone to a shire business meeting, and
                just this week I went to a planning meeting for our April event.

                Justin's advice about locating your Chatelaine is right on the money. Mine
                was a great help at my first event. Even introduced me to a number of folks
                wearing shiny hats. :)

                Peace,
                Willie
                Shire of Roxbury Mill