Re: New to SCA and Nervous

  • Wenyeva atte Grene
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6, 2003
      Delurking for my favorite topic...

      At 12:07 PM +0000 3/6/03, scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      >Anyway, more to the point of my message . . . I've been thinking
      >about my character and name and history and garb for the past week or
      >so . . . Everyone seems to have excessively complicated names in
      >different languages, etc etc. I just want to be a lower-class peasant
      >woman in Tudor England with a very simple name . . . probably
      >something like Elizabeth Thorpe or Elizabeth Campden or something
      >similar.

      To my ear, those both sound like marvelous names. Elizabeth is a fine
      period name, and both Thorpe and Campden are documentable to period
      (though the quick glance I did at my books showed variant spellings,
      see below).

      >Am I going to get shot down and told that I need a more
      >unique name so people don't confuse me with other members?

      It just needs to not conflict. For example, if there is an Elizabeth
      Thorp already registered, then Elizabeth Thorpe would conflict. But
      if there is no conflict, then you are fine. It doesn't matter if
      there are multiple Elizabeths as long as the full name is different.
      (I searched for a conflict -- see below.)

      >And for
      >that matter, the entire issue of researching the name and providing
      >documentation to the herald so the name can be registered . . . I
      >mean, how can I document a name like Elizabeth? Everyone was named
      >it, and I'd figure that it's so common as to not even need
      >documentation. Same with any of the last names I'd pick.

      It's not that big a deal. I will give you basic documentation right
      here for these particular names, because they are easy ones. Good
      choices! :)

      >And I dont
      >really want a coat-of-arms or whatever . . . I don't even see why a
      >lower-class englishwoman would have one to begin with . . . Am I
      >going to be required to make one for myself anyway?

      It is not required. You can make one if you want, because they are
      fun... even if your persona wouldn't have had one. :) You can always
      decide not to display it if it seems inappropriate. But you don't
      have to register one if you don't want.

      Now, regarding your name ideas, here's some really quick documentation:

      Elizabeth
      found in E.G. Withycombe, _The Oxford Dictionary of English Christian
      Names_, 3rd Ed. pp. 99-100. Described as becoming common in the 16th
      century, accounting for 16% of female baptisms by 1560 and 20% by
      1600. Cited dating from 1205 forward.

      Campden
      Reaney & Wilson, _A Dictionary of English Surnames_, rev. 3rd ed., p.
      81, s.n. Cambden, Camden. Cited period spelling is 'de Campeden' in
      1190-1260. No 16th C. spellings given.

      Thorpe
      Reaney & Wilson, _A Dictionary of English Surnames_, rev. 3rd ed., p.
      445, s.n. Thorp, Thorpe, Tharp. Cited period spellings are 'de Torp,'
      'de Thorp,' 'in le Thorp,' and 'del Thorp,' from 1158-1332. No later
      spellings given.

      So... Elizabeth is not a problem. The surnames are documented to
      period as well, but not with 16th Century forms, or with your
      spelling. So to make the names completely accurate, I would want to
      go looking for 16th C. forms. I am sure they could be found. I may
      even have them here somewhere in a different book. (Ask me later and
      I can search for them for you.)

      The Withycombe and Reaney/Wilson are both on the Laurel "No
      Photocopy" list, so you don't need photocopies of that documentation.
      You can just copy the text right here from this letter into a name
      application if you like.

      Regarding conflict: I find no conflicts with Elizabeth Campden or
      Elizabeth Thorpe (unless a conflicting name was registered in the
      last few months and isn't in the online records yet). There is a
      Penelope Cambden, but that's not a conflict. I think either name
      would be a really good period-appropriate choice.

      If you decide you don't want either of those names and want help with
      name research with different names, just let me know. Name research
      is just about my favorite thing. :)

      --
      Wenyeva atte grene, newbie herald-at-large, also has a simple name...
      but from a couple of centuries earlier!
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2003
        In our group it might very well be Army of Darkness on the VCR/DVD.
        Campy, but the armor is actually pretty good.

        BTW, you forgot the pulling out of the PDA to check a date and e-mail
        address. LOL

        William