Re: [SCA Newcomers] Ren Fairers vs. Scadians

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2003
      On Wednesday 05 March 2003 22:29, Shmi Skywalker wrote:
      > It's kind of funny that I got all riled up by this and I haven't even
      > gone to any meetings or gotten involved at all. But anyway, I just
      > boggled at what she said considering the usually close relationship
      > between ren faires and SCA . . .

      Well, all I can say is, "You go, girl!!!"

      I am *really* surprised that they reacted as they did. The Rennies that I've
      met have usually been quite cordial to the SCA. They have their game, we have
      our game, and the world is big enough for both. They are a business, we are
      hobbiests. There's actually a fair number of people who work Ren and play in
      the SCA. And lots of SCAdians go to Ren Faires for fun sometimes.

      These folks need to switch to decaf coffee. :-\

      fesswise reversed sable.

    • Mickey Loft
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2003
        Hi all,

        Well I have been going to Ren Faires for a number of years. To the level
        that my husband and I are frequently mistaken for players by customers and
        players alike. We know the directions to the privies and to the stages. We
        even tend to know where the different events are and when even. It is quite
        humerious even.

        We were very uninterested in becoming part of the play though. It was not
        really our style to be characters we did not pick. Anyway. I have noticed a
        distinct attitude about the SCA from the faire folks and the other way
        around. It is humourus sometimes, and sad other times.

        Most of the time it is just two groups that have misunderstood each other
        over the last few years. We are both so very much alike.

        I am sorry your friend has a bad impression of the SCA.

        Marressa Jonsdottir

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9, 2003
          In a message dated 3/6/2003 7:08:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

          > It's kind of funny that I got all riled up by this and I haven't even
          > gone to any meetings or gotten involved at all. But anyway, I just
          > boggled at what she said considering the usually close relationship
          > between ren faires and SCA . . .

          What a "lot of people know" about the SCA at RenFaires and such is what
          they've been told by other people who were told by other people who were told
          by someone who spent 10 minutes at an event and decided they didn't like it
          because it wasn't what they were used to.
          I ran a demo at a miniature wargamers convention this weekend, and ran into
          two diametrically opposed preconceived opinions of the SCA within 24 hours.
          The guy who asked us to do the demo said some of his people had told him the
          SCA wouldn't be authentic enough for what they wanted. And one of our
          Laurels was told to be careful, because the SCA was there and they would be
          nitpicking about her costume not being authentic enough.

          I've heard that all Civ War reenactors are hardcore down to having the
          correct thread count in each fabric of their uniform and only allowing people
          to have very specific roles (like women can't do anything but US Sanitary
          Commision or balls). But the Civ War reenactors I know (who also do SCA)
          include a woman who tucks her very long braid down the back of her jacket
          while portraying an infantryman. I've also heard that all Civ War reenactors
          think the SCA is a joke - but that certainly didn't describe the 10 or so
          that we talked at length with this weekend.

          Brangwayna Morgan

          > ~elizabeth campden~

          I love the name. There is a lady in my shire whose name is Elizabeth
          Spynnere.

        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 10, 2003
            On Sunday 09 March 2003 20:39, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
            > I've also heard that all Civ War reenactors
            > think the SCA is a joke - but that certainly didn't describe the 10 or so
            > that we talked at length with this weekend.

            Wouldn't describe the two or three who live near here, who play in both
            groups depending on their whims, either.

            Adults are mature enough to realize that each club has different rules and
            that it's okay to choose the one(s) you want to join, without putting down
            the others because they're not the same. Too bad there are still people
            out there who are adults only in the chronological sense.

            fesswise reversed sable.