Re: Ren Fairers vs. Scadians

  • megrimulf
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2003
      Elizabeth,

      First let me say that I've been directly or indirectly involved in
      Faires for around ten years, and SCA for five. I've heard a number
      of different reasons why people on one side don't like the other, and
      most of the time it's sheer ignorance; in other words, if all the
      facts are known, their reasons don't hold water. The primary cause
      of this is, in my opinion, that Renaissance/Medieval/Fantasy faires
      and the SCA have fundamentally different purposes for existing. If
      that basic concept is understood, that your goals are not the same as
      my goals, (being hypothetical "your" and "my," rather than literally
      meaning Elizabeth and me), I think a lot of those kinds of things
      would simply go away.

      Now, I should point out that, while I've heard quite a number of
      these kinds of conflicts, they are, in the grand scheme of things,
      actually quite rare. That is to say, only a small percentage of
      SCAdians and Rennies ever actually seem to have such conflicts. For
      one thing, far more Rennies than you'd think have never even _heard_
      of the SCA. To use myself as an example, I was involved in Faire for
      more than five years before I ever discovered the existence of the
      SCA. And it's been my experience that an awful lot of SCAdians have
      never been to faire, either.

      All of that having been said, I will say that I've heard more Rennies
      who don't like SCA than the other way 'round. And one thing I've
      heard from them, and I've seen it happen and agree with them, is that
      some SCA people have a snobbish attitude toward faire. They will
      come to faire, spend the day there, eat the food, watch the shows,
      and so on, and then criticize faire for "doing it wrong." These
      would be the same types we would call "authenticity police." A very
      tiny percentage, to be sure, but vocal enough to get noticed and turn
      some faire-folk off to the SCA.

      Both of these activities are a great deal of fun to be involved in,
      and have the potential to be mutually beneficial to one another.
      Can't we all just get along? ;)

      Grímólfr

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Shmi Skywalker" <shmi85@y...>

    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2003
        On Wednesday 05 March 2003 22:29, Shmi Skywalker wrote:
        > It's kind of funny that I got all riled up by this and I haven't even
        > gone to any meetings or gotten involved at all. But anyway, I just
        > boggled at what she said considering the usually close relationship
        > between ren faires and SCA . . .

        Well, all I can say is, "You go, girl!!!"

        I am *really* surprised that they reacted as they did. The Rennies that I've
        met have usually been quite cordial to the SCA. They have their game, we have
        our game, and the world is big enough for both. They are a business, we are
        hobbiests. There's actually a fair number of people who work Ren and play in
        the SCA. And lots of SCAdians go to Ren Faires for fun sometimes.

        These folks need to switch to decaf coffee. :-\

        fesswise reversed sable.

      • Mickey Loft
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 6, 2003
          Hi all,

          Well I have been going to Ren Faires for a number of years. To the level
          that my husband and I are frequently mistaken for players by customers and
          players alike. We know the directions to the privies and to the stages. We
          even tend to know where the different events are and when even. It is quite
          humerious even.

          We were very uninterested in becoming part of the play though. It was not
          really our style to be characters we did not pick. Anyway. I have noticed a
          distinct attitude about the SCA from the faire folks and the other way
          around. It is humourus sometimes, and sad other times.

          Most of the time it is just two groups that have misunderstood each other
          over the last few years. We are both so very much alike.

          I am sorry your friend has a bad impression of the SCA.

          Marressa Jonsdottir

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 9, 2003
            In a message dated 3/6/2003 7:08:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

            > It's kind of funny that I got all riled up by this and I haven't even
            > gone to any meetings or gotten involved at all. But anyway, I just
            > boggled at what she said considering the usually close relationship
            > between ren faires and SCA . . .

            What a "lot of people know" about the SCA at RenFaires and such is what
            they've been told by other people who were told by other people who were told
            by someone who spent 10 minutes at an event and decided they didn't like it
            because it wasn't what they were used to.
            I ran a demo at a miniature wargamers convention this weekend, and ran into
            two diametrically opposed preconceived opinions of the SCA within 24 hours.
            The guy who asked us to do the demo said some of his people had told him the
            SCA wouldn't be authentic enough for what they wanted. And one of our
            Laurels was told to be careful, because the SCA was there and they would be
            nitpicking about her costume not being authentic enough.

            I've heard that all Civ War reenactors are hardcore down to having the
            correct thread count in each fabric of their uniform and only allowing people
            to have very specific roles (like women can't do anything but US Sanitary
            Commision or balls). But the Civ War reenactors I know (who also do SCA)
            include a woman who tucks her very long braid down the back of her jacket
            while portraying an infantryman. I've also heard that all Civ War reenactors
            think the SCA is a joke - but that certainly didn't describe the 10 or so
            that we talked at length with this weekend.

            Brangwayna Morgan

            > ~elizabeth campden~

            I love the name. There is a lady in my shire whose name is Elizabeth
            Spynnere.

          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 10, 2003
              On Sunday 09 March 2003 20:39, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
              > I've also heard that all Civ War reenactors
              > think the SCA is a joke - but that certainly didn't describe the 10 or so
              > that we talked at length with this weekend.

              Wouldn't describe the two or three who live near here, who play in both
              groups depending on their whims, either.

              Adults are mature enough to realize that each club has different rules and
              that it's okay to choose the one(s) you want to join, without putting down
              the others because they're not the same. Too bad there are still people
              out there who are adults only in the chronological sense.

              fesswise reversed sable.