Re: [SCA Newcomers] New to SCA and Nervous

  • Jessi King-Markham
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2003
      M'Lady Elizabeth,

      Not everyone has complicated names. Two of my friends are Nell and Caitlyn. Being you are from England, the names aren't too bad to pronounce, in that time period. As for documentation, it really isn't that hard. It took me maybe 1/2 hour to find everything I needed and I have Marguerite as one name (pretty common). You don't even have to register a name, if you don't want to along with your device. You don't even need to have a device. I have a friend that has been playing for 10 years and just started registering their name that they have been using for the last 9 years. If you register, the Heralds just want to make sure you are unique. Think about it, how many people have you run into in your life that has exactly your mundane name? How many have just your first or last name? There always seems to be a way to differentiate between Elizabeths, Jessicas, Jennifers, etc...

      Personally, I haven't figured out the persona thing. It is starting to come the longer I play and get comfortable with who I am in the SCA. Little things just pop up and I write them down. I know a person who has been 14C French for 6 years and just went Viking in the last month. One nice thing is that this is a continuously changing group and what you want today isn't necessarily what you want next month. When the event isn't really important, I dress in basic garb with a little better bodice fabric or put on sleeves. For big events, I put on my best Elizabethan court gown and have a blast. No one expects you to have a complete garb wardrobe exact to a time period right away or even in a few years. As long as you look vainly period and gave it the ol college try, they are happy.

      As for the revel, I don't think I have any recipes for you. If you have a wood plate or bowl, bring your dessert on that. If not, wrap the Tupperware in a piece of fabric and voila! you are close enough.

      Sorry for the long response.

      Yours in service,

      Odillia Marguerite du Parc

      Shire of Rivenwood Tower