new to everything!

  • smeehan76
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
      I have just recently found out about the SCA and was wondering what
      do I do to get started? I have contacted a hospitaler and don't know
      what steps to take now, should I go ahead and begin on my garment? or
      go to a meeting, just curious as to other peoples experiences and
      what they did.
      Thanks for all the help,
      Eithne Ui Bhriain
    • gypsycaine
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
        Do the meeting!

        May I ask a few more personal questions of you? What area of the country
        are you in? As an example, I am considered North East Ohio in general, and
        a member of the Marche of Alderford (aka Stark County) in general. That'll
        help us get you into the right direction.

        As for garb, work on it when you can--do you have a pattern that you can
        follow, or would you like some suggestions of potential period garb? By
        your name I shall assume Welsh (or there abouts--I'm a bit shaky myself on
        Wales and Ireland!) as country of your choice.

        Welcome aboard, and may you have as much joy as I have!

        Mary Henline
        MoY for the Marche of Alderford
        Chatelaine of the Barony of Brendoken

        I have just recently found out about the SCA and was wondering what
        do I do to get started? I have contacted a hospitaler and don't know
        what steps to take now, should I go ahead and begin on my garment? or
        go to a meeting, just curious as to other peoples experiences and
        what they did.
        Thanks for all the help,
        Eithne Ui Bhriain

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8, 2003
          In a message dated 3/5/2003 8:12:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

          > I have just recently found out about the SCA and was wondering what
          > do I do to get started? I have contacted a hospitaler and don't know
          > what steps to take now, should I go ahead and begin on my garment? or
          > go to a meeting, just curious as to other peoples experiences and
          > what they did.

          Welcome!
          If you've contacted a hospitaler, that person should be able to give you
          suggestions for what to do next - that is, after all, their job. They should
          be able to point you to resources or people in your local area who can help
          you learn more about things you are interested in, help you find the things
          you need, etc.
          My suggestion would be to go to a meeting or activity and start getting to
          know people. Your group may have some loaner clothing for you to start out
          with while you are working on something of your own; if so, the hospitaler
          should know. It's fine if your first outfit isn't absolutely perfect or if
          you decide later that you like a different style better - I've gone through
          about 6 until I finally settled where I'm happy.

        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 8, 2003
            On Saturday 08 March 2003 07:10, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
            > It's fine if your first outfit isn't absolutely perfect or if
            > you decide later that you like a different style better - I've gone through
            > about 6 until I finally settled where I'm happy.

            Heck, some of us have multiple styles of garb even after we settle on a
            persona. I'm Byzantine, but I wear some garb that is decidedly European,
            just because it works out better for outdoor events. It's really tough to
            cook over a campfire in long, flowing Byzantine robes with large sleeves.
            Well, actually, it's *easy* to cook over a campfire. But I want to cook
            food, not myself, so.....European garb. :-)

            Maistor Iustinos Tekton called Justin, Publisher and Webmaster
            SCAtoday.net -- Your independent source for news of the Current Middle Ages

            justin@... http://scatoday.net/
          • gypsycaine
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 8, 2003
              Speaking of campfires--should you kind gentles need entertainment during the
              long nights of Pennsic, seek thee out Maister Justin and inquire about the
              tale of the Turtle Killer.

              "Oh, Frank!"

              Chuckles...

              Mary