Some questions about medieval music.

  • mr_marouka <mlewald@mcintoshstudent.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2003
      Hi.

      I'm a young history buff, and an art student. For the past year I've
      been immersing myself in the histories of both Ancient Rome and
      Medieval Europe. Of course every time I learn something new it leads
      to more and more inquiry.

      I've dedicated much of my time to the visuals, lifestyle, politics,
      and of course my favorite topic--war. But recently I have been
      curious about music in the middle ages. No doubt we've all heard it
      (or think we have) in movies, television, and computer games
      (Activision's "Medieval: Total War" has an impressive musical score).
      Lately I've been wondering if that's all accurate? I know that over
      time things can be lost, forgotten, or just changed to fit modern
      standards. Do people in this contemporary age know what medieval
      music really sounded like?

      If anyone could help me, I'd like to know where I can find accurate
      reproductions of medieval music (with the right instruments and
      everything). I did a search for "Medieval Music" on Kazaa and found a
      couple of songs that were very nice, but it would be great to know if
      that's what medieval tunes were really like.

      I appreciate anyone's help in this matter---and I look forward to
      sharing my interests with this group. This place certainly is a
      pleasant discovery!

      Thanks!!
      -Mark
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25, 2003
        On Tuesday 25 February 2003 22:01, "mr_marouka wrote:
        > But recently I have been
        > curious about music in the middle ages. No doubt we've all heard it
        > (or think we have) in movies, television, and computer games
        > (Activision's "Medieval: Total War" has an impressive musical score).
        > Lately I've been wondering if that's all accurate? I know that over
        > time things can be lost, forgotten, or just changed to fit modern
        > standards. Do people in this contemporary age know what medieval
        > music really sounded like?

        I'm not an expert, but for starters try the Academy of Ancient Music.
        This is a performance group that has extensively studied, and attempts
        to reproduce, a very authentic period sound using instruments that are
        close reproductions of period instruments.

        http://www.aam.co.uk/

        fesswise reversed sable.

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 26, 2003
          In a message dated 2/26/2003 8:34:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

          > If anyone could help me, I'd like to know where I can find accurate
          > reproductions of medieval music (with the right instruments and
          > everything). I did a search for "Medieval Music" on Kazaa and found a
          > couple of songs that were very nice, but it would be great to know if
          > that's what medieval tunes were really like.

          Actually, there's a lot out there if you know where to look. For instance, I
          have here, sitting above the computer, a 4 CD set called "The Medieval
          Experience: Sacred and Secular Music from the Hihg Middle Ages to the early
          Renaissance". It's put out by a German company called Deutsche Grammophon,
          a division of PolyGram Group Canada. The four CD's are two of Monks and
          Troubadors, one Masses and Memorials, and one Motets.

          Another good place to look is for the group Anonymous 4. They've done a
          number of excellent recordings of medieval music. I also have a CD called
          Istanpitta, but I can't remember if that's the name of the group or the name
          of the album...