Re: [SCA Newcomers] SCA and having young children

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2003
      In a message dated 2/16/2003 6:59:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > I haven't joined the Sca yet. I am wondering what you all do with
      > young children? I find its been hard to find sitters as it is. 1.Are
      > children welcome at some functions? 2.Are there any for them? 3.Do
      > you have any unique stories about raising your children in the SCA?

      Lots of people in the SCA have kids. In my shire there is one couple with a 4
      year old, a 10 year old, and a 14 year old, another mother with a 10 year
      old, another mother with a 14 year old, and a household of two families with
      3 children under the age of 5. And we're a small group! My SCA household
      leaders have a 7 year old who has been coming to events since she was a few
      months old.

      In general, children are welcome at most events; usually there will be a note
      about "adult themes" or "not really suitable for children" if there is a real
      problem. Many events have some form of children's activities - not a drop
      off thing, but something you share with your child. Some local groups have a
      children's group that does stuff together. My own shire has just started
      such a group and the first meeting was quite a success.

      One thing you will hear a lot is "remember that you are responsible for your
      child". This may seem strange to a new member, but to people who've been in
      the SCA a while, their group feels like their family, and sometimes they make
      the mistake of assuming that other memebers will watch their kids for them,
      without asking. Or they may ask someone to watch their child for a few
      minutes, and then get caught up in something and not come back for several
      hours. I'm not saying that you will do this, but it will help explain if
      someone complains about kids at events.

      Brangwayna Morgan
      who is hoping to be able to raise kids in the SCA.