Re: [SCA Newcomers] any age limit?

  • picmark69@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 16, 2003
      At 15 you are welcome to participate in the sca with parental permission.
      However you can't participate in heavy combat till your 18.
      Magnus

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 16, 2003
        In a message dated 2/16/2003 6:59:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

        > I am currently 15 yrs old, and not turning 16 untill the end of
        > summer. Do you know anyone who has joined SCA this early, and/or if
        > there is an ange limit in SCA? thanks!!

        Yes, my husband and I had what we referred to as an "SCA foster child" - a
        young man who joined at 15, but whose parents were not interested in joining.
        After his parents had met us several times, they felt comfortable letting us
        take him to nearby day events, and gradually to overnight camping events.
        This worked out very well, and eventually he decided that he wanted to be an
        equerry, a sort of man-servant for us, which was very useful for us as it
        gave us an extra pair of hands in camp and gave him a role and the chance to
        meet lots of other SCA people in the course of taking care of our business
        (not business in the commercial sense). Unfortunately, he left us a year ago
        to join the Army (the real one), and we miss him a great deal.

        Most activities in the SCA are open to a 15 year old, with a few exceptions.
        You cannot hold any office that requires you to handle money for the group
        until you turn 18. In many kingdoms, the minimum age for being able to
        participate in armored combat and fencing with the adults is at 16 with
        parental consent; in some it is 18. Some kingdoms do have a youth combat
        program, however. Other than that, you can do pretty much anything that
        interests you.

        My suggestion is to get in touch with your local group, and make sure that
        some representative of that group meets and talks with your family. It's
        probably best if your family attends one or two activities to see what you
        are getting into. At that point they may decide they are interested, or you
        may find your own SCA foster parents. Your parents will need to sign waivers
        for you to attend events until you are 18, and some groups sponsoring events
        want the parents of minors on site; it's best to check with the autocrat
        (person running the event) to make sure you are welcome on your own or with
        foster parents rather than your actual parents. We always encouraged
        Leonardo to do that himself; a minor who makes an effort to be responsible
        about that sort of thing gets a much better reception.

        Welcome!

      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 16, 2003
          On Sunday 16 February 2003 07:00, picmark69@... wrote:
          > At 15 you are welcome to participate in the sca with parental permission.
          > However you can't participate in heavy combat till your 18.

          I'm not sure what kingdom is being discussed, but here in the Middle Kingdom,
          we have youth combat for teens and boffer (foam) combat all the way down to
          age nine! Anyone under 18 has to have a parent or legal guardian's permission
          to do combat activities.

          Here in the Middle Kingdom, parental permission is not required to attend
          regular shire meetings -- if you can get there, they assume it's okay with
          your parents -- but you have to have a parent pre-sign a waiver in order for
          you to attend an event. I can go into the Midrealm rules in detail if this
          is the kingdom of interest, but since it varies from kingdom to kingdom, I
          won't waste the bandwidth here unless this information would actually be
          useful. :-)

          To the original questioner: Whereabout do you live? (As a young person, you
          shouldn't post your full address to a mailing list -- I'm just asking for
          a general location like "northeastern Ohio", so that we know in what kingdom
          you reside.)

          fesswise reversed sable.

        • kalshi007 <heraldtamryne@hotmail.com>
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 16, 2003
            I love in east texas, so im not sure about the rules, but my parents
            said that they would possibly come to the meetings and events if ned
            be. i haven't mentioned the foster-kid thing yet, but they would
            probably say yes to that.

            http://4th.com/sca/justin/
            http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey
          • kalshi007 <heraldtamryne@hotmail.com>
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 16, 2003
              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "kalshi007 <heraldtamryne@h...>"
              <heraldtamryne@h...> wrote:
              > I live in east texas, so im not sure about the rules, but my
              parents
              > said that they would possibly come to the meetings and events if
              ned
              > be. i haven't mentioned the foster-kid thing yet, but they would
              > probably say yes to that.
              >

              > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Iustinos Tekton called Justin
              > <justin@4...> wrote:
              > > On Sunday 16 February 2003 07:00, picmark69@a... wrote:
              > > > At 15 you are welcome to participate in the sca with parental
              > permission.
              > > > However you can't participate in heavy combat till your 18.
              > >
              > > I'm not sure what kingdom is being discussed, but here in the
              > Middle Kingdom,
              > > we have youth combat for teens and boffer (foam) combat all the
              way
              > down to
              > > age nine! Anyone under 18 has to have a parent or legal
              guardian's
              > permission
              > > to do combat activities.
              > >
              > > Here in the Middle Kingdom, parental permission is not required
              > attend
              > > regular shire meetings -- if you can get there, they assume it's
              > okay with
              > > your parents -- but you have to have a parent pre-sign a waiver
              in
              > order for
              > > you to attend an event. I can go into the Midrealm rules in
              detail
              > if this
              > > is the kingdom of interest, but since it varies from kingdom to
              > kingdom, I
              > > won't waste the bandwidth here unless this information would
              > actually be
              > > useful. :-)
              > >
              > > To the original questioner: Whereabout do you live? (As a young
              > person, you
              > > shouldn't post your full address to a mailing list -- I'm just
              > asking for
              > > a general location like "northeastern Ohio", so that we know in
              > what kingdom
              > > you reside.)
              > >
              > > Justin
              > >
              > > --