Re: [SCA Newcomers] Question: How did you find the SCA

  • Arden and Juliana
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2003
      We lived in Napa, CA for five years and on my way to work in San Rafael I
      drove past Black Point, where one of the BIG renfests used to be held. I
      wanted to go really bad but my husband kept saying "we'll do it next year"
      and we never did.... Something has always pulled me toward wanting to learn
      about life in the middle ages... it's either genetic memory or I was just
      born 400 or 500 years too late LOL.

      Then after we moved to Texas a friend of his gave us free tickets to the
      Excalibur Faire in Smithville, TX. We went for the day and the kids loved
      it.... and hubby enjoyed it... and of course I had a wonderful time.

      So we went home and that night we looked up the SCA and found a very small
      local group in Bastrop, not far from where we lived. Because of the extreme
      heat that summer, they had moved their meeting time to a few hours later
      than usual, but that wasn't listed on the net, so it took us a while to hook
      up. Once we did, we had a good time. This was in Ansteorra and no one in
      that small group did the heavy fighting, so hubby was learning rapier
      fighting. I learned to sew and made my first "pseudo Elizabethan" outfit.

      Then we moved here to Forgotten Sea area and really jumped in with both
      feet. If you want to learn more you can see it on our web page -
      www.foxcroftcottage.com.

      Juliana Foxcroft
      Elkanah Macdonald of Arden