Re: [SCA Newcomers] layering

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15 5:58 AM
      In a message dated 2/15/2003 6:56:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > I've been chugging along with my research, and have come to suspect
      > I'm going to be happier with a couple of layers in my starter garb,
      > at least across my chest. I thought I remembered reading somewhere
      > that you could wear one tunic over another (usually longer- and
      > longer-sleeved) one. Now I can't find that statement, so I don't
      > know how reliable the source was.

      Multiple layers is pretty much the rule in medieval and renaissance clothing,
      rather than the exception. Most people, in most European cultures during the
      SCA period, would have been wearing a minimum of two layers, and as many as 4
      or 5 at times. Those aren't always tunics; the underlayer is always a linen
      or possibly cotton undergarment, like a modern slip or men's white T-shirt
      under your modern clothes. Sometimes it's basically a shirt, sometimes a
      full length slip, sometimes fancy, sometimes plain, but it's always there.
      This is a layer that a lot of SCA folk don't use, which I've grown to realize
      is a mistake. Usually, unless it's very hot or you spill something on the
      outer clothes, you only need to wash the inner one most of the time - which
      saves a lot of wear and tear on the outer garments and also means you don't
      need as many outer garments. This undergarment, in its various forms, goes
      under all sorts of things other than tunics - cotehardies, doublets,
      Elizabethan gowns, you name it.

      > Assuming that's a viable option (and please tell me if it's not), I'd
      > like some input on the practicality/comfort/relative merits of that
      > approach, and of instead making a thigh- or calf-length chemise cut
      > to a looser, pleat-necked design (like the one on Reconstructing
      > History at
      > <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners/chemise.html>).

      Wearing two tunics is a perfectly viable option. The shorter sleeve/shorter
      hem over the longer look is very Anglo-Saxon. It's practical as I noted
      above, and is also more versatile in terms of dealing with temperature
      changes. I would suggest, though, that you seriously consider using a
      chemise as well, making that your underlayer most times (in which case you'd
      wear the long skirted/long sleeved tunic over it, and could put the shorter
      one on over all as needed for warmth).
      Now, I'm not sure whether the chemise you mentioned is actually designed to
      go with a tunic or not. Knowing Kass, who wrote that page, somewhere on
      there will be information as to what style of outer clothing that chemise
      goes with. The style I do, which is 12th century English, the chemise is
      basically made along exactly the same lines as the tunic. In other styles,
      the pleating or other features become more prevalent.