Re: [SCA Newcomers] Question: How did you find the SCA

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15 5:58 AM
      In a message dated 2/15/2003 6:56:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > My question: how did you all find the SCA and how did you first get
      > involved?

      I don't know if you've heard about Pennsic yet or not - it's the largest SCA
      event of all, and takes place every August near Pittsburgh. For many SCA
      folks, it's like a pilgrimage. You need that info to understand my answer.

      Thirteen years ago, I was half working and half hanging out at the PA
      Reaissance Faire, as I'd been doing for several years,so had gotten to know
      some of the Faire folk. I had met a few SCAdians through a college
      Renaissance festival that we usually attended, and knew basically what the
      SCA was. I even had contact info for some of the local groups that I hadn't
      used yet.
      Anyway, some of my friends from the Faire came up to me in July and said,
      "Can you get a week off in August?" I said I probably could and asked why.
      They wanted to go to Pennsic, but none of their ratty old cars was up to the
      trip, so they invited me along so we could take mine. I didn't mind; that's
      the sort of group this was. So I got the time off, and we put 4 people, a
      canvas cabin tent, a couple of coolers, some cooking gear, our bedding, and
      all the Faire garb we owned into my Chevy Corsica and headed out.
      Now, this being before the days of pre-registration or anything like that, we
      had a standing invite to camp with our SCA friends from the college ren fest
      if we ever made it to Pennsic. So, when we got out there, we signed in and
      said we were camping with Ostgardr (which somehow I knew how to spell), and
      looked at the map and thought we figured out where they were supposed to be.
      Started driving down the road, and luckily ran into one of the very people
      who had invited us, which was a good thing, as we'd never have found the camp
      if we hadn't - no sign up or anything, and this was Tuesday of War week! Had
      a blast, and when I got home, called one of my friends and asked how to join,
      and I've been here ever since.