Re: [SCA Newcomers] tunic and trews

  • s.b.loyd
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2003
      ---
      From: athterath@...
      We're in the "thinking about it" stage of SCA involvement. We don't
      have personae yet, and are unsure what period we'll pick for them.
      I've been doing some research online regarding "starter garb" and
      have pretty much settled on the generic-tunic-and-trews approach.

      The instructions for "Your First Set of Clothes" on the
      Reconstructing History site
      <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners/FirstGarb.html> are
      sufficient to give me some confidence that I can whip up the tunics
      without any trouble. But I'm having no luck finding comparable
      instructions for making trews or hosen for my partner and son. Can
      anyone point me in the direction of a decent write-up on the topic?
      ---

      Keep in mind that, really, you're not required to even go so far as to
      choose/build a full fledged persona. Some people choose a name and a
      general culture, and are done ('Yngvar, a Viking' or 'Achmed, a Moor'),
      wearing only the most generic garb. Heck, I didn't even nail down a
      specific culture for... felt like forever!

      Inasmuch as looking for some generic starter garb for your family...

      http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/hose.html has some
      articles on hose, and on some Norse trousers.

      http://www.virtue.to/articles/in_depth_garb.html does not feature hose, nor
      trousers, but has a lot of other good 'starter garb' information.

      When I started, it was suggested to me that 'Mongol Pants' were good starter
      garb trousers... http://sca.warhawkhobbies.com/mongols.htm

      s.b.loyd