YKYITSCAW (You Know You're In The SCA When...)

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2003
      ...You start to sit down, and find yourself instinctively checking to see that
      your legs are together even though you're wearing jeans -- and you're a guy!

      ...You have spent more on tents than on your house.

      ...You accidentally slide off the road in an ice storm, hitting a road sign,
      and your first thought isn't, "Damn, I dented my car," but rather, "Oooh!
      I wonder if they'll notice if I swipe the bent sign for armor?"

      ...You're at Warwick Castle in England and the docent lets you try on the
      gauntlets, because she thinks it's cool that you've also made your own at
      home. (True story...this happened to me!)

      ...You buy a four-bedroom house, even with no kids in the family, so that you
      can dedicate a bedroom for storage of your garb and camping gear. (Also
      true...we moved into the new house yesterday!)

      fesswise reversed sable.

    • katfletcher
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2003
        You know you're in the SCA when you spend most of your child's first
        parent teacher conference in Kindergarten explaining WHY your
        daughter knows how to spell cotehardie. (Yes, true!)

        When your daughter comes home from school in the 6th grade, disgusted
        because the teacher put Dad's tunic on a girl and called it a dress
        during the medieval unit. "You could see her legs, Mom!" (A month
        ago!)

        Kathryn