Re: [SCA Newcomers] Household & such

  • pandoradcat
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 13, 2003
      While I appreciate your response to my question, I have to say I am offended
      that you said I should not join a household, because I am new. I will be lest apt
      to post a question in the future if I post at all. I will deal with my own kingdom
      from now on. Thanks anyway-ysabelot PS By the way I am not new to SCA,
      Just come from a big kingdom & cant get to all the events
    • mablight <mablight@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2003
        I am de lurking to respond to this thread.

        I do not believe you have to be in the SCA for any certain period of
        time before joining a household. I joined a household within 3
        months of becoming an SCA member, granted it happened to be the same
        household that my fiance is a member of.

        I think that as long as you have fun with the people in the
        household that you should try to join. If you find down the road
        that the fit was not as good as you originally thought, then find a
        new household.

        On the other hand, don't rush into a household just to have people
        to hang out with. I think you should get to know the people in the
        household and go from there.

        I am now going to resume lurk mode

        Katrine
        House Noctum Gladius
        Barony of Gyldenholt, Caid

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, pandoradcat <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:
        > While I appreciate your response to my question, I have to say I
        am offended
        > that you said I should not join a household, because I am new. I
        will be lest apt
        > to post a question in the future if I post at all. I will deal
        with my own kingdom
        > from now on. Thanks anyway-ysabelot PS By the way I am not new
        to SCA,
        > Just come from a big kingdom & cant get to all the events
      • Shannon Prate
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 13, 2003
          I found the information given to be quite helpful to me as I am new and
          I had questions along those same lines. I agree that getting to know
          people first is a better way to go about it and am relieved to know
          that joining a household isn't required. It will help me to better
          find where I fit in to the big picture. Once again, thank you, as your
          post was very helpful to me.

          Grainne

          > While I appreciate your response to my question, I have to say I
          > am offended
          >
          > that you said I should not join a household, because I am new. I
          > will be lest apt
          >
          > to post a question in the future if I post at all. I will deal
          > with my own kingdom
          >
          > from now on. Thanks anyway-ysabelot PS By the way I am not new
          > to SCA,
          >
          > Just come from a big kingdom & cant get to all the events
          >

          > </tt>
          >

          > <tt>

          > </tt>
          >

          > <tt>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          > Service.</tt></br>

        • Caius Livius Germanicus, KSCA <eq_german
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 13, 2003
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, pandoradcat <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > While I appreciate your response to my question, I have to say I am
            offended
            > that you said I should not join a household, because I am new. I
            will be lest apt
            > to post a question in the future if I post at all. I will deal with
            my own kingdom
            > from now on. Thanks anyway-ysabelot PS By the way I am not new
            to SCA,
            > Just come from a big kingdom & cant get to all the events

            Salvete!

            Well, I am sincerely sorry you are offended at our responses. I'm
            fairly certain no insult was intended. Your question was one that is
            extremely common here coming from Newcomers (hence the name of the
            group). I'm sure you can understand the confusion and the assumption.

            Since you are experienced in the SCA and obviously fully aware of the
            good and bad of Households in the SCA I can tell you that the only way
            to join one is to find people you like and talk to them. If they are
            part of a household then ask to join. If they are not, then maybe you
            can make one of your own.

            I would for the record like to reiterate that Newcomers should
            seriously consider pause before joining any group before you know what
            you are getting in to. Households are not bad. Nor are they good. Each
            is simply a gathering of personalities of common purpose. Take your
            time and find out what the true purpose is before joining. (True
            purpose as opposed to professed purpose).

            Respectfully,

            Vale bene,

            Caius Livius Germanicus
          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 14, 2003
              On Monday 13 January 2003 20:55, pandoradcat wrote:
              > While I appreciate your response to my question, I have to say I am
              > offended that you said I should not join a household, because I am new. I
              > will be lest apt to post a question in the future if I post at all. I will
              > deal with my own kingdom from now on. Thanks anyway-ysabelot PS By the
              > way I am not new to SCA, Just come from a big kingdom & cant get to all the
              > events

              I am truly sorry to have offended you, for that was certainly not my intent.
              And I salute you for speaking out directly on that point, for only because you
              did so do I now have the opportunity to apologize.

              As someone else mentioned, I assumed since the question was posted on the
              "newcomers" list that you were new to the SCA. Apparently, that was an
              incorrect assumption and I therefore owe you an apology.

              I stand by my assertion that people who *are* new to the SCA should not rush
              into joining a household right away. It takes time to get to know people well
              enough to know whether you belong in a close, long-term association with them,
              which is what a household represents.

              When you choose a household, you implicitly choose its members as friends, and
              you may (or may not) be, by implication, choosing certain other households or
              social circles as implied enemies. When you join a household, you associate
              yourself with its reputation, for good or for ill. Isn't it a good idea to
              understand the relationships of a household to other social groups in your
              area, and to know something of the household's reputation among the general
              populace, before making a commitment to that household? Gaining the knowledge
              to make this kind of choice takes time. You, personally, have already gained
              this knowledge, but a person who is new to the SCA will not have had time yet
              to do so.

              Since you are not new to the SCA, the issues above do not apply to you. You're
              no doubt well acquainted with the local politics in your area, and so the
              question simply becomes one of how do you, logistically speaking, actually go
              about joining your chosen household. That process doesn't have a single answer,
              because it differs from household to household. The SCA itself does not have
              rules in this area, because households are not official branches of the SCA.

              Kind regards,

              fesswise reversed sable.

            • vujadea200@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 14, 2003
                I have my own 2 cents about a household. I agree with so many people so far.
                When joining the SCA, it is better get to know the workings of the society
                before joining a group that could hinder that. When new to the SCA, joining
                the first household you come accross is generally a bad idea. Also, joining
                a household is something that is not required. I would consider myself VERY
                close with about 4 local households, and just recently joined one of them.
                ONe drw back of joining a household when you are still unfammiliar with the
                SCA is that you have to concentrate on getting to know the household, instead
                of the SCA. I have one friend who continually calls our home baroness and
                baron "king and queen" because he pledged hs first event, and is now busy
                with working for his house.

                I guess that might have been 3.5 cents, but oh well!!

                Adena Terricsdotter