Re: [SCA Newcomers] Household and such

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2003
      In a message dated 1/13/2003 9:20:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > How does one go about finding & joining a household? I have trouble even
      > locating households in my barony. Any help would be greatly appreciated-

      First, realize that membership in a household is not universal, nor is it
      required. A household is, in the simplest definition, simply a bunch of
      people who like to do stuff together. Sometimes there is a focus to it, or a
      common tendency; for instance, my household is a service household, and we
      are heavy on cooks, brewers, and chirurgeons as well as bards. Sometimes
      it's just people who like to camp or hang out as a group.
      Second, don't get in a rush to join one. Get to know the various ones in
      your area, find out what they do and how they do things, and if one looks
      interesting, ask if you can hang out with them for a while without joining,
      to get to know them and see if you really do want to join. People have found
      themselves in very uncomfortable situations by rushing to join a household
      and then finding out that they don't get along with the people in it.
      As you spend more time in your kingdom, you will start to hear about various
      households and meet people who are in households and get to know them.

      Lancaster, PA