Re: [SCA Newcomers] Household & such

  • Caius Livius Germanicus, KSCA <eq_german
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 13, 2003
      <justin@4...> wrote:>
      > My first advice is this: "If you are new enough to the SCA that you
      need to
      > ask the preceding question, then you should *not* join a household
      yet."

      First off: AMEN

      Second off there are many alternatives to households. There should be
      lots of folks available to assist you in learning stuff, building and
      sewing stuff and fostering you as a newcomer WITHOUT joining any
      group.

      Check with the local Branch Chatelaine and they should be able to
      direct you to the right folks.

      Beware any group that asks membership for knowledge. The cool folks
      will give it away freely. The ones that don't are usually not worth
      the knowledge gained.

      If you'd like I know several folks all over the area that may be able
      to assist you as well. Email me with you particulars and i'll see if
      there is anyone local to you willing to point you in a safe direction.

      Caius Livius Germanicus, KSCA
      :AnTir:
    • pandoradcat
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2003
        While I appreciate your response to my question, I have to say I am offended
        that you said I should not join a household, because I am new. I will be lest apt
        to post a question in the future if I post at all. I will deal with my own kingdom
        from now on. Thanks anyway-ysabelot PS By the way I am not new to SCA,
        Just come from a big kingdom & cant get to all the events
      • mablight <mablight@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 13, 2003
          I am de lurking to respond to this thread.

          I do not believe you have to be in the SCA for any certain period of
          time before joining a household. I joined a household within 3
          months of becoming an SCA member, granted it happened to be the same
          household that my fiance is a member of.

          I think that as long as you have fun with the people in the
          household that you should try to join. If you find down the road
          that the fit was not as good as you originally thought, then find a
          new household.

          On the other hand, don't rush into a household just to have people
          to hang out with. I think you should get to know the people in the
          household and go from there.

          I am now going to resume lurk mode

          Katrine
          House Noctum Gladius
          Barony of Gyldenholt, Caid

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, pandoradcat <no_reply@y...>
          wrote:
          > While I appreciate your response to my question, I have to say I
          am offended
          > that you said I should not join a household, because I am new. I
          will be lest apt
          > to post a question in the future if I post at all. I will deal
          with my own kingdom
          > from now on. Thanks anyway-ysabelot PS By the way I am not new
          to SCA,
          > Just come from a big kingdom & cant get to all the events
        • Shannon Prate
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 13, 2003
            I found the information given to be quite helpful to me as I am new and
            I had questions along those same lines. I agree that getting to know
            people first is a better way to go about it and am relieved to know
            that joining a household isn't required. It will help me to better
            find where I fit in to the big picture. Once again, thank you, as your
            post was very helpful to me.

            Grainne

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 13, 2003
              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, pandoradcat <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > While I appreciate your response to my question, I have to say I am
              offended
              > that you said I should not join a household, because I am new. I
              will be lest apt
              > to post a question in the future if I post at all. I will deal with
              my own kingdom
              > from now on. Thanks anyway-ysabelot PS By the way I am not new
              to SCA,
              > Just come from a big kingdom & cant get to all the events

              Salvete!

              Well, I am sincerely sorry you are offended at our responses. I'm
              fairly certain no insult was intended. Your question was one that is
              extremely common here coming from Newcomers (hence the name of the
              group). I'm sure you can understand the confusion and the assumption.

              Since you are experienced in the SCA and obviously fully aware of the
              good and bad of Households in the SCA I can tell you that the only way
              to join one is to find people you like and talk to them. If they are
              part of a household then ask to join. If they are not, then maybe you
              can make one of your own.

              I would for the record like to reiterate that Newcomers should
              seriously consider pause before joining any group before you know what
              you are getting in to. Households are not bad. Nor are they good. Each
              is simply a gathering of personalities of common purpose. Take your
              time and find out what the true purpose is before joining. (True
              purpose as opposed to professed purpose).

              Respectfully,

              Vale bene,

              Caius Livius Germanicus
            • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 14, 2003
                On Monday 13 January 2003 20:55, pandoradcat wrote:
                > While I appreciate your response to my question, I have to say I am
                > offended that you said I should not join a household, because I am new. I
                > will be lest apt to post a question in the future if I post at all. I will
                > deal with my own kingdom from now on. Thanks anyway-ysabelot PS By the
                > way I am not new to SCA, Just come from a big kingdom & cant get to all the
                > events

                I am truly sorry to have offended you, for that was certainly not my intent.
                And I salute you for speaking out directly on that point, for only because you
                did so do I now have the opportunity to apologize.

                As someone else mentioned, I assumed since the question was posted on the
                "newcomers" list that you were new to the SCA. Apparently, that was an
                incorrect assumption and I therefore owe you an apology.

                I stand by my assertion that people who *are* new to the SCA should not rush
                into joining a household right away. It takes time to get to know people well
                enough to know whether you belong in a close, long-term association with them,
                which is what a household represents.

                When you choose a household, you implicitly choose its members as friends, and
                you may (or may not) be, by implication, choosing certain other households or
                social circles as implied enemies. When you join a household, you associate
                yourself with its reputation, for good or for ill. Isn't it a good idea to
                understand the relationships of a household to other social groups in your
                area, and to know something of the household's reputation among the general
                populace, before making a commitment to that household? Gaining the knowledge
                to make this kind of choice takes time. You, personally, have already gained
                this knowledge, but a person who is new to the SCA will not have had time yet
                to do so.

                Since you are not new to the SCA, the issues above do not apply to you. You're
                no doubt well acquainted with the local politics in your area, and so the
                question simply becomes one of how do you, logistically speaking, actually go
                about joining your chosen household. That process doesn't have a single answer,
                because it differs from household to household. The SCA itself does not have
                rules in this area, because households are not official branches of the SCA.

                Kind regards,

                fesswise reversed sable.

              • vujadea200@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 14, 2003
                  I have my own 2 cents about a household. I agree with so many people so far.
                  When joining the SCA, it is better get to know the workings of the society
                  before joining a group that could hinder that. When new to the SCA, joining
                  the first household you come accross is generally a bad idea. Also, joining
                  a household is something that is not required. I would consider myself VERY
                  close with about 4 local households, and just recently joined one of them.
                  ONe drw back of joining a household when you are still unfammiliar with the
                  SCA is that you have to concentrate on getting to know the household, instead
                  of the SCA. I have one friend who continually calls our home baroness and
                  baron "king and queen" because he pledged hs first event, and is now busy
                  with working for his house.

                  I guess that might have been 3.5 cents, but oh well!!

                  Adena Terricsdotter