RE: [SCA Newcomers] Household & such

  • gypsycaine
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 13, 2003
      Justin's written a great essay on Households. I wanted to let you know that
      as a newbie, households *aren't* forbidden! In June, right after I
      celebrated my first year with SCA (quietly...grins at Justin!) my ex-fiancé
      and his family and I formed a household together. (House of the Night Owl)

      We already knew each other for years from outside the SCA realm, and
      compliment each other. I am not a cook--I admit it heartily. Mom gave me a
      crock pot this Christmas, and my cooking skills rose by 75%! Angelique, who
      is Jayne in persona, is an excellent cook. If the kids are kept out of the
      cooking area, she can do feasts. I like kids. I also do not mind terribly
      dishes and housework. Do you see the connection? smiles. Barry (and dang
      it, I can't recall how to spell your persona name, Bear!) is also great with
      kids. My son Ian is his god-child, and we take all 4 kids away from Jayne,
      let her cook, and work with them in boffer, or other activities, and she is
      happy, we're happy, and it works. The household is small: myself, Bear,
      Jayne, and the kids: Vincent, Nicholas, Alexander and Ian. We keep an open
      door in case anyone else is ever interested. Oh, one other interesting
      comment. Bear's family is from Gwyntarian. Ian and I are Alderford. We
      just crossed the shire boundary, but that's mainly because I moved from
      Akron to Canton in '98!

      Don't think that you "CAN'T" join a household, or even form a loose one with
      someone to help. I've heard tales of how Justin helps others in his
      household--he not only does the duties he's usually assigned at events, but
      assists with raising tents (esp. for his household members who cannot do it
      themselves), helps with the cooking, and the man likes doing dishes!

      You can see how he earned his much downplayed award, eh?

      I'm certain when the time comes to raise tents again in June in our Shire
      (Oaken Melee School), Bear will be there, and together he and I will kick
      out the job fast. Each of us knows the other's strengths and weaknesses,
      and that's the thrill of being a household. Working together as a team in
      one way or another.

      Mary Henline
      (Dee)
    • Caius Livius Germanicus, KSCA <eq_german
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2003
        <justin@4...> wrote:>
        > My first advice is this: "If you are new enough to the SCA that you
        need to
        > ask the preceding question, then you should *not* join a household
        yet."

        First off: AMEN

        Second off there are many alternatives to households. There should be
        lots of folks available to assist you in learning stuff, building and
        sewing stuff and fostering you as a newcomer WITHOUT joining any
        group.

        Check with the local Branch Chatelaine and they should be able to
        direct you to the right folks.

        Beware any group that asks membership for knowledge. The cool folks
        will give it away freely. The ones that don't are usually not worth
        the knowledge gained.

        If you'd like I know several folks all over the area that may be able
        to assist you as well. Email me with you particulars and i'll see if
        there is anyone local to you willing to point you in a safe direction.

        Caius Livius Germanicus, KSCA
        :AnTir:
      • pandoradcat
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 13, 2003
          While I appreciate your response to my question, I have to say I am offended
          that you said I should not join a household, because I am new. I will be lest apt
          to post a question in the future if I post at all. I will deal with my own kingdom
          from now on. Thanks anyway-ysabelot PS By the way I am not new to SCA,
          Just come from a big kingdom & cant get to all the events
        • mablight <mablight@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 13, 2003
            I am de lurking to respond to this thread.

            I do not believe you have to be in the SCA for any certain period of
            time before joining a household. I joined a household within 3
            months of becoming an SCA member, granted it happened to be the same
            household that my fiance is a member of.

            I think that as long as you have fun with the people in the
            household that you should try to join. If you find down the road
            that the fit was not as good as you originally thought, then find a
            new household.

            On the other hand, don't rush into a household just to have people
            to hang out with. I think you should get to know the people in the
            household and go from there.

            I am now going to resume lurk mode

            Katrine
            House Noctum Gladius
            Barony of Gyldenholt, Caid

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, pandoradcat <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:
            > While I appreciate your response to my question, I have to say I
            am offended
            > that you said I should not join a household, because I am new. I
            will be lest apt
            > to post a question in the future if I post at all. I will deal
            with my own kingdom
            > from now on. Thanks anyway-ysabelot PS By the way I am not new
            to SCA,
            > Just come from a big kingdom & cant get to all the events
          • Shannon Prate
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 13, 2003
              I found the information given to be quite helpful to me as I am new and
              I had questions along those same lines. I agree that getting to know
              people first is a better way to go about it and am relieved to know
              that joining a household isn't required. It will help me to better
              find where I fit in to the big picture. Once again, thank you, as your
              post was very helpful to me.

              Grainne

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 13, 2003
                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, pandoradcat <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > While I appreciate your response to my question, I have to say I am
                offended
                > that you said I should not join a household, because I am new. I
                will be lest apt
                > to post a question in the future if I post at all. I will deal with
                my own kingdom
                > from now on. Thanks anyway-ysabelot PS By the way I am not new
                to SCA,
                > Just come from a big kingdom & cant get to all the events

                Salvete!

                Well, I am sincerely sorry you are offended at our responses. I'm
                fairly certain no insult was intended. Your question was one that is
                extremely common here coming from Newcomers (hence the name of the
                group). I'm sure you can understand the confusion and the assumption.

                Since you are experienced in the SCA and obviously fully aware of the
                good and bad of Households in the SCA I can tell you that the only way
                to join one is to find people you like and talk to them. If they are
                part of a household then ask to join. If they are not, then maybe you
                can make one of your own.

                I would for the record like to reiterate that Newcomers should
                seriously consider pause before joining any group before you know what
                you are getting in to. Households are not bad. Nor are they good. Each
                is simply a gathering of personalities of common purpose. Take your
                time and find out what the true purpose is before joining. (True
                purpose as opposed to professed purpose).

                Respectfully,

                Vale bene,

                Caius Livius Germanicus
              • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 14, 2003
                  On Monday 13 January 2003 20:55, pandoradcat wrote:
                  > While I appreciate your response to my question, I have to say I am
                  > offended that you said I should not join a household, because I am new. I
                  > will be lest apt to post a question in the future if I post at all. I will
                  > deal with my own kingdom from now on. Thanks anyway-ysabelot PS By the
                  > way I am not new to SCA, Just come from a big kingdom & cant get to all the
                  > events

                  I am truly sorry to have offended you, for that was certainly not my intent.
                  And I salute you for speaking out directly on that point, for only because you
                  did so do I now have the opportunity to apologize.

                  As someone else mentioned, I assumed since the question was posted on the
                  "newcomers" list that you were new to the SCA. Apparently, that was an
                  incorrect assumption and I therefore owe you an apology.

                  I stand by my assertion that people who *are* new to the SCA should not rush
                  into joining a household right away. It takes time to get to know people well
                  enough to know whether you belong in a close, long-term association with them,
                  which is what a household represents.

                  When you choose a household, you implicitly choose its members as friends, and
                  you may (or may not) be, by implication, choosing certain other households or
                  social circles as implied enemies. When you join a household, you associate
                  yourself with its reputation, for good or for ill. Isn't it a good idea to
                  understand the relationships of a household to other social groups in your
                  area, and to know something of the household's reputation among the general
                  populace, before making a commitment to that household? Gaining the knowledge
                  to make this kind of choice takes time. You, personally, have already gained
                  this knowledge, but a person who is new to the SCA will not have had time yet
                  to do so.

                  Since you are not new to the SCA, the issues above do not apply to you. You're
                  no doubt well acquainted with the local politics in your area, and so the
                  question simply becomes one of how do you, logistically speaking, actually go
                  about joining your chosen household. That process doesn't have a single answer,
                  because it differs from household to household. The SCA itself does not have
                  rules in this area, because households are not official branches of the SCA.

                  Kind regards,

                  fesswise reversed sable.

                • vujadea200@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 14, 2003
                    I have my own 2 cents about a household. I agree with so many people so far.
                    When joining the SCA, it is better get to know the workings of the society
                    before joining a group that could hinder that. When new to the SCA, joining
                    the first household you come accross is generally a bad idea. Also, joining
                    a household is something that is not required. I would consider myself VERY
                    close with about 4 local households, and just recently joined one of them.
                    ONe drw back of joining a household when you are still unfammiliar with the
                    SCA is that you have to concentrate on getting to know the household, instead
                    of the SCA. I have one friend who continually calls our home baroness and
                    baron "king and queen" because he pledged hs first event, and is now busy
                    with working for his house.

                    I guess that might have been 3.5 cents, but oh well!!

                    Adena Terricsdotter