Re: [SCA Newcomers] New Comer questions

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2003
      In a message dated 1/10/2003 9:20:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > I just sent my membership form in to the SCA & attended a Commons meeting
      > of the Barony of Carillion here in NJ. I have read both the SCA & the
      > Kingdom of the East websites but still seem to be at a loss of where to
      > start --- any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Welcome! One person you may have heard mentioned or introduced at the
      Commons meeting was the "Chatelaine". This officer's job in the SCA is to
      help new folks get started. Your best bet for local help is to contact your
      local chatelaine - it's possible that there are regular newcomer meetings or
      classes to help you out, and there will at least be more informal help
      available.

      > Do I start by deciding what part of the Knowne World I wish to be from or
      > should I begin somewhere else?

      Well, do you mean what country your persona is from, or what SCA group you
      are from? To us, the "Known World" refers to the SCA world, so it's likely
      that in the "Known World", you are from the Barony of Carillion. Some people
      decide where they would like their persona to be from early; other's just do
      a sort of generic medieval persona until they find something they really
      like. Either is fine.

      > Also, any suggestions on where to obtain patterns for (or completed) garb
      > would be most welcome.

      One of the best websites for basic garb patterns is <http://www.virtue.to>;
      click on the "Medieval Clothing Articles". There are lots of online
      merchants who sell SCA garb, and it can sometimes be found on E-bay as well.
      It's also very likely that Carillion has a collection of loaner clothing,
      called "Gold Key", which you can borrow until you buy or make something. The
      chatelaine would be able to help you with that. There are also often garb
      merchants at events.

      Brangwayna Morgan
      also from the East Kingdom; Shire of Silver Rylle (Lancaster, PA)

    • julienne <jacks@blazenet.net>
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 13, 2003
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 1/10/2003 9:20:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        > scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:
        >

        > > I just sent my membership form in to the SCA & attended a Commons
        meeting
        > > of the Barony of Carillion here in NJ. I have read both the SCA
        & the
        > > Kingdom of the East websites but still seem to be at a loss of
        where to
        > > start --- any help would be greatly appreciated.
        >

        > Welcome! One person you may have heard mentioned or introduced at
        the
        > Commons meeting was the "Chatelaine". This officer's job in the
        SCA is to
        > help new folks get started. Your best bet for local help is to
        contact your
        > local chatelaine - it's possible that there are regular newcomer
        meetings or
        > classes to help you out, and there will at least be more informal
        help
        > available.
        >

        > > Do I start by deciding what part of the Knowne World I wish to be
        from or
        > > should I begin somewhere else?
        >

        > Well, do you mean what country your persona is from, or what SCA
        group you
        > are from? To us, the "Known World" refers to the SCA world, so
        it's likely
        > that in the "Known World", you are from the Barony of Carillion.
        Some people
        > decide where they would like their persona to be from early;
        other's just do
        > a sort of generic medieval persona until they find something they
        really
        > like. Either is fine.
        >

        > > Also, any suggestions on where to obtain patterns for (or
        completed) garb
        > > would be most welcome.
        > >

        > One of the best websites for basic garb patterns is
        <http://www.virtue.to>;
        > click on the "Medieval Clothing Articles". There are lots of
        online
        > merchants who sell SCA garb, and it can sometimes be found on E-bay
        as well.
        > It's also very likely that Carillion has a collection of loaner
        clothing,
        > called "Gold Key", which you can borrow until you buy or make
        something. The
        > chatelaine would be able to help you with that. There are also
        often garb
        > merchants at events.
        >
        > Brangwayna Morgan
        > also from the East Kingdom; Shire of Silver Rylle (Lancaster, PA)
        >
        > Good day, Brangwayna!
        I would be in the same Shire as you if I joined.
        But I got a problem. I have emailed the chatelaine several times and
        have heard nothing! If you could please email me, I would love to get
        started! By the way...I'm in Elizabethtown.

        Thanks, Julienne
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 14, 2003
          In a message dated 1/14/2003 10:15:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

          > I would be in the same Shire as you if I joined.
          > But I got a problem. I have emailed the chatelaine several times and
          > have heard nothing! If you could please email me, I would love to get
          > started! By the way...I'm in Elizabethtown.
          >
          > Thanks, Julienne

          I've emailed Julienne privately...I'm confused, because I'm the Chatelaine!
          Just a reminder to make sure to change ALL references to the Chatelaine when
          the person holding the office changes, I guess...