Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: scraps

  • Mike atpennstate
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 9, 2003
      oh cool! that's a great idea. Thanks again, you've been very helpful.
      chemistbb3 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Another place to look is your local public works department. Ask
      about getting the damaged street signs. (Smaller cities and local
      county precents are easiest to work with.) They are usually a heavy
      enough gauge aluminum, especily the state ones) . You can not use
      then to make a helm, but they are good for knee & elbow cops, 1/2 and
      full gauntlets, and plates for body armor.

      As always, check with your local marsals and knights to be sure you
      are legal.

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Caius Livius Germanicus, KSCA
      <eq_germanicus@y...>" <eq_germanicus@y...> wrote:
      > -Well, my best reccomendation would be to look around your local
      > for a "Play it Again Sports" store which has used sports gear for
      > cheap. You can use and modify much of the stuff there for sca
      > just needs covered up somehow with tunics and pants or surcoats or
      > something.
      > Also the local knights should have resources and knowledge to help
      > get you into either loaner bits of armor or garage made plastic or
      > scrap metal armor. You'd be suprised what you can find at the local
      > hardware store and goodwill.
      > Strapping material comes a lot of time from old belts from
      > Same with cheap fabric : sheets, blankets, curtains. Same with
      > sporting goods. I've cut up leather jackets from goodwill too.
      > After a while you'll start looking at scrap car parts and think "I
      > can cut that up and make a breastplate!"
      > Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you need any more ideas.
      > In Omnia Veritas
      > C. Livius Germanicus, KSCA
      > -- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "scanovicefighter
      > <scanovicefighter@y...>" <scanovicefighter@y...> wrote:
      > > Hello
      > >
      > > I am currently trying to get myself started in the sca. I have
      > little
      > > money to start up my own armor, so i'm going to build my own with
      > > few friends of mine who are already knights.

      Do you Yahoo!?