scraps

  • scanovicefighter <scanovicefighter@yahoo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2003
      Hello

      I am currently trying to get myself started in the sca. I have little
      money to start up my own armor, so i'm going to build my own with a
      few friends of mine who are already knights.

      I was just wondering if anyone had some scrap metal they'd be willing
      to part with. I'm mainly looking for 14 to 16 gauge, pieces of
      different sizes.

      On a side note, if anyone has some used armor or armor pieces they
      might be willing to part with, please let me know. I don't have an
      incredibly large amount of money to work with because I'm in college
      at the moment, but any help is appreciated, and I'll do my best to
      work with you on price.

      Thanks and my most humble appreciation
      Michael Z.
    • Caius Livius Germanicus, KSCA <eq_german
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2003
        -Well, my best reccomendation would be to look around your local area
        for a "Play it Again Sports" store which has used sports gear for
        cheap. You can use and modify much of the stuff there for sca armor,
        just needs covered up somehow with tunics and pants or surcoats or
        something.

        Also the local knights should have resources and knowledge to help
        get you into either loaner bits of armor or garage made plastic or
        scrap metal armor. You'd be suprised what you can find at the local
        hardware store and goodwill.

        Strapping material comes a lot of time from old belts from goodwill.
        Same with cheap fabric : sheets, blankets, curtains. Same with
        sporting goods. I've cut up leather jackets from goodwill too.

        After a while you'll start looking at scrap car parts and think "I
        can cut that up and make a breastplate!"

        Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you need any more ideas.

        In Omnia Veritas
        C. Livius Germanicus, KSCA

        -- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "scanovicefighter
        <scanovicefighter@y...>" <scanovicefighter@y...> wrote:
        > Hello
        >
        > I am currently trying to get myself started in the sca. I have
        little
        > money to start up my own armor, so i'm going to build my own with a
        > few friends of mine who are already knights.
      • chemistbb3
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2003
          Another place to look is your local public works department. Ask
          about getting the damaged street signs. (Smaller cities and local
          county precents are easiest to work with.) They are usually a heavy
          enough gauge aluminum, especily the state ones) . You can not use
          then to make a helm, but they are good for knee & elbow cops, 1/2 and
          full gauntlets, and plates for body armor.

          As always, check with your local marsals and knights to be sure you
          are legal.

          William

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Caius Livius Germanicus, KSCA

        • Mark <picmark69@aol.com>
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2003
            You could also make a pretty inexpencive Coat of plates. Bacicly
            you are making a tunic with leather or another heavy durable
            material. Then you plastic plates on thr inside . what you end up
            with is a decent looking piece of armor that protects you and cost
            very little other than some time.
            mark
            p.s. you can make plastic plates from 5 or 55 gallon barrels usually
            hotels have their cleaning supplies delivered in them. make sure you
            clean them thouroghly and know what kind of cleaner was in them see
            if you can get one that had a mild chem inside.
          • Mike atpennstate
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 9, 2003
              oh cool! that's a great idea. Thanks again, you've been very helpful.
              mike
              chemistbb3 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Another place to look is your local public works department. Ask