Re: [SCA Newcomers] Medieval Event***TORONTO

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2002
      In a message dated 12/31/2002 9:07:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > The Kingdom of Hightower in Empire Ironthorn cordially
      > invites you to attend
      >
      > their first gala
      > 12th Nyte event -Saturday, January 4/03 TORONTO, Ont

      OK, I'm not a newcomer and I'm confused. The Toronto SCA group is Eoforwic,
      which is in your email address. The yahoo groups you posted links to mention
      the SCA along with other groups; one specifically says that newcomers can ask
      SCA-related questions there.
      Is this an SCA activity, an activity open to SCA members as well as other
      folks, or a event by a different group which you think SCA members might be
      interested in? What is Empire Ironthorne? I really couldn't get any clear
      idea from the intro page to the yahoogroup, other than the fact that there
      are no membership dues. Is there any difference between what Ironthorne does
      and what SCA does?

      I also think it's interesting that the event anouncement states that it's a
      Medieval living history event, and then details a number of activities, few
      if any of which appear to be anything other than modern activities with
      medieval names (50/50 raffles, people auctions, state fair contests come to
      mind). Mind you, I'm fully aware that these things happen in the SCA as well
      (I don't like them there, either). But to my mind, a "living history" event
      implies historically accurate activities. Were I interested in serious
      medieval living history and came to this event, I think I'd be disappointed.

    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2002
        (A partial explaination, maybe...)

        Ironthorne is another group. They welcome SCA members, along with
        other groups, and recognise SCA titles, per my understanding. This
        looks to be their event and they want to be sure other groups are
        aware. The "Medieval living history event" part , I think, is their
        way of saying that garb is required.

        Hope this helps, if you want more info., give Lady A an email.

        William