Re: [SCA Newcomers] Digest Number 232

  • lotsofteapots@charter.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2002
      Well, I don't know a thing about fighting, but the bodice question...

      The answer is yes! Bodices most certainly did lace up the front in
      mid-1500's England (Henry VIII right?). Let's see if I can find some
      links...

      Pictures where you can see the laces:
      http://www.abcgallery.com/C/cranach/cranach61.html

      http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/sca/tudor/morefamily.jpg

      http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/sca/tudor/cecilia.jpg

      http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/sca/tudor/lockley.jpg

      If you look *very* *carefully* along the right side of the front of the
      bodice, you will see pinheads, indicating that this is a stomacher pinned
      over a front-opening bodice:
      http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/sca/tudor/redjane.jpg

      This is laced, but hook & eye up the front instead:
      http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/sca/tudor/margaret.jpg

      Hope these help you out!

      **********************
      Rebecca Schmitt
      aka Mistress Agnes Cabot, wife of Master Peter Cabot, cod merchant of
      Bristol,
      BRF FOF

      So many books, so little time

      lotsofteapots@...
      **********************

      Subject: Garb Questions and more!

      Okay, garb questions- Can anyone find any historical documentation
      for front lacing bodices in the mid 1500's in england? and where
      does one buy very very small grommets? (size 00 two peice grommets
      and a setter.) i refuse to use eyelets, they irk me.
      also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
      but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
      woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.
      and is there a basic website that has something of a general
      overveiw of different periods and cultures that one can chose a
      persona from?
      and about what time period did light weapons fighting come into
      being?