Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Garb Questions and more!

  • Lily Lang
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
      I should probably stop the lurking thing too. I did enjoy in recent "Equal Oppertunity Destroyers" comment, so true, so true. I don't know to much about history but I do know somegreat SCAer's in the San Antonio & Austin, Texas area if anyone needs that kinda information. :))
      Lily
      "vengasd <vengasd@...>" <vengasd@...> wrote:Greetings,

      I guess this is a good time to de-lurk in this newsgroup since I may
      have some useful knowledge.

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Erin Truesdell
      <Lilith2592@a...>" <Lilith2592@a...> wrote:

      > also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
      > but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
      > woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.

      There was a Lady fighting at the Queen's Champion Tourney in
      Calafia. She fought with a rapier in each hand while wearing a skirt
      and seemed evenly matched with her opponent. There was a great deal
      of anticipation among the audience while each fencer jockeyed for
      advantage. Finally, the Lady's endurance seemed to wane underneath
      the noontime heat. For a brief moment her blade wavered and her
      opponent leaped in for an attack, mortally wounding the Lady. The
      crowd applauded her efforts, for she died well.

      Here's a website with some interesting images of women dueling:

      http://www.lothene.demon.co.uk/others/women17.html

      > and about what time period did light weapons fighting come into
      > being?

      From "A Brief History of Fencing":

      "rapier technique had its birth in the late 16th century, while
      the 17th century was the golden age of this weapon."

      You can read more at:

      http://www.geocities.com/cofc_fencing/information/history.html

      I'd be interested in seeing anything else you come up with on your
      search.

      Robert

    • Wolfgang von Eifel
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
        <Wolfie pops head up>
        Did some one say San Antonio?
        <gets back to wasting taxpayer money>

        Wolfgang von Eifel

        From: Lily Lang <lily_sca@...>
        To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Garb Questions and more!
        Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:50:47 -0800 (PST)

        I should probably stop the lurking thing too. I did enjoy in recent "Equal
        Oppertunity Destroyers" comment, so true, so true. I don't know to much
        about history but I do know somegreat SCAer's in the San Antonio & Austin,
        Texas area if anyone needs that kinda information. :))
        Lily
        "vengasd <vengasd@...>" <vengasd@...> wrote:Greetings,

        I guess this is a good time to de-lurk in this newsgroup since I may
        have some useful knowledge.

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Erin Truesdell
        <Lilith2592@a...>" <Lilith2592@a...> wrote:

        > also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
        > but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
        > woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.

        There was a Lady fighting at the Queen's Champion Tourney in
        Calafia. She fought with a rapier in each hand while wearing a skirt
        and seemed evenly matched with her opponent. There was a great deal
        of anticipation among the audience while each fencer jockeyed for
        advantage. Finally, the Lady's endurance seemed to wane underneath
        the noontime heat. For a brief moment her blade wavered and her
        opponent leaped in for an attack, mortally wounding the Lady. The
        crowd applauded her efforts, for she died well.

        Here's a website with some interesting images of women dueling:

        http://www.lothene.demon.co.uk/others/women17.html

        > and about what time period did light weapons fighting come into
        > being?

        From "A Brief History of Fencing":

        "rapier technique had its birth in the late 16th century, while
        the 17th century was the golden age of this weapon."

        You can read more at:

        http://www.geocities.com/cofc_fencing/information/history.html

        I'd be interested in seeing anything else you come up with on your
        search.

        Robert

      • chemistbb3
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
          The majority of the Lady Rapier fighters I have seen wear skirts /
          dresses around these parts.

          William