Re: [SCA Newcomers] Garb Questions and more!

  • Green Thumb
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
      At my first event there were women rapiers in both
      skirts and "tights" (light weight cotton workout
      pants) and a slightly longer tunic over the tights.

      Reu, the unnamed

      =====
      "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them." -Ray Bradbury

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Lily Lang
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
        I should probably stop the lurking thing too. I did enjoy in recent "Equal Oppertunity Destroyers" comment, so true, so true. I don't know to much about history but I do know somegreat SCAer's in the San Antonio & Austin, Texas area if anyone needs that kinda information. :))
        Lily
        "vengasd <vengasd@...>" <vengasd@...> wrote:Greetings,

        I guess this is a good time to de-lurk in this newsgroup since I may
        have some useful knowledge.

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Erin Truesdell
        <Lilith2592@a...>" <Lilith2592@a...> wrote:

        > also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
        > but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
        > woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.

        There was a Lady fighting at the Queen's Champion Tourney in
        Calafia. She fought with a rapier in each hand while wearing a skirt
        and seemed evenly matched with her opponent. There was a great deal
        of anticipation among the audience while each fencer jockeyed for
        advantage. Finally, the Lady's endurance seemed to wane underneath
        the noontime heat. For a brief moment her blade wavered and her
        opponent leaped in for an attack, mortally wounding the Lady. The
        crowd applauded her efforts, for she died well.

        Here's a website with some interesting images of women dueling:

        http://www.lothene.demon.co.uk/others/women17.html

        > and about what time period did light weapons fighting come into
        > being?

        From "A Brief History of Fencing":

        "rapier technique had its birth in the late 16th century, while
        the 17th century was the golden age of this weapon."

        You can read more at:

        http://www.geocities.com/cofc_fencing/information/history.html

        I'd be interested in seeing anything else you come up with on your
        search.

        Robert

      • Wolfgang von Eifel
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
          <Wolfie pops head up>
          Did some one say San Antonio?
          <gets back to wasting taxpayer money>

          Wolfgang von Eifel

          From: Lily Lang <lily_sca@...>
          To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Garb Questions and more!
          Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:50:47 -0800 (PST)

          I should probably stop the lurking thing too. I did enjoy in recent "Equal
          Oppertunity Destroyers" comment, so true, so true. I don't know to much
          about history but I do know somegreat SCAer's in the San Antonio & Austin,
          Texas area if anyone needs that kinda information. :))
          Lily
          "vengasd <vengasd@...>" <vengasd@...> wrote:Greetings,

          I guess this is a good time to de-lurk in this newsgroup since I may
          have some useful knowledge.

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Erin Truesdell
          <Lilith2592@a...>" <Lilith2592@a...> wrote:

          > also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
          > but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
          > woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.

          There was a Lady fighting at the Queen's Champion Tourney in
          Calafia. She fought with a rapier in each hand while wearing a skirt
          and seemed evenly matched with her opponent. There was a great deal
          of anticipation among the audience while each fencer jockeyed for
          advantage. Finally, the Lady's endurance seemed to wane underneath
          the noontime heat. For a brief moment her blade wavered and her
          opponent leaped in for an attack, mortally wounding the Lady. The
          crowd applauded her efforts, for she died well.

          Here's a website with some interesting images of women dueling:

          http://www.lothene.demon.co.uk/others/women17.html

          > and about what time period did light weapons fighting come into
          > being?

          From "A Brief History of Fencing":

          "rapier technique had its birth in the late 16th century, while
          the 17th century was the golden age of this weapon."

          You can read more at:

          http://www.geocities.com/cofc_fencing/information/history.html

          I'd be interested in seeing anything else you come up with on your
          search.

          Robert

        • chemistbb3
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
            The majority of the Lady Rapier fighters I have seen wear skirts /
            dresses around these parts.

            William