RE: [SCA Newcomers] Garb Questions and more!

  • Jherle HX
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 11, 2002
      If you are interested in fighting, I suggest the Ironrose web site.
      http://www.peak.org/~grainne/Ironrose/ There's a lot of information
      regarding women fighting there. Both with heavy and light weapons. I
      fight heavy weapons and wear pretty much the same armor as the men do.

      Women in pants aren't common in some time periods. I wear pants as my
      garb and have yet to have anyone bother me about it.

      Alvör

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
        At my first event there were women rapiers in both
        skirts and "tights" (light weight cotton workout
        pants) and a slightly longer tunic over the tights.

        Reu, the unnamed

        =====
        "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them." -Ray Bradbury

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Lily Lang
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
          I should probably stop the lurking thing too. I did enjoy in recent "Equal Oppertunity Destroyers" comment, so true, so true. I don't know to much about history but I do know somegreat SCAer's in the San Antonio & Austin, Texas area if anyone needs that kinda information. :))
          Lily
          "vengasd <vengasd@...>" <vengasd@...> wrote:Greetings,

          I guess this is a good time to de-lurk in this newsgroup since I may
          have some useful knowledge.

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Erin Truesdell
          <Lilith2592@a...>" <Lilith2592@a...> wrote:

          > also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
          > but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
          > woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.

          There was a Lady fighting at the Queen's Champion Tourney in
          Calafia. She fought with a rapier in each hand while wearing a skirt
          and seemed evenly matched with her opponent. There was a great deal
          of anticipation among the audience while each fencer jockeyed for
          advantage. Finally, the Lady's endurance seemed to wane underneath
          the noontime heat. For a brief moment her blade wavered and her
          opponent leaped in for an attack, mortally wounding the Lady. The
          crowd applauded her efforts, for she died well.

          Here's a website with some interesting images of women dueling:

          http://www.lothene.demon.co.uk/others/women17.html

          > and about what time period did light weapons fighting come into
          > being?

          From "A Brief History of Fencing":

          "rapier technique had its birth in the late 16th century, while
          the 17th century was the golden age of this weapon."

          You can read more at:

          http://www.geocities.com/cofc_fencing/information/history.html

          I'd be interested in seeing anything else you come up with on your
          search.

          Robert

        • Wolfgang von Eifel
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
            <Wolfie pops head up>
            Did some one say San Antonio?
            <gets back to wasting taxpayer money>

            Wolfgang von Eifel

            From: Lily Lang <lily_sca@...>
            To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Garb Questions and more!
            Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:50:47 -0800 (PST)

            I should probably stop the lurking thing too. I did enjoy in recent "Equal
            Oppertunity Destroyers" comment, so true, so true. I don't know to much
            about history but I do know somegreat SCAer's in the San Antonio & Austin,
            Texas area if anyone needs that kinda information. :))
            Lily
            "vengasd <vengasd@...>" <vengasd@...> wrote:Greetings,

            I guess this is a good time to de-lurk in this newsgroup since I may
            have some useful knowledge.

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Erin Truesdell
            <Lilith2592@a...>" <Lilith2592@a...> wrote:

            > also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
            > but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
            > woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.

            There was a Lady fighting at the Queen's Champion Tourney in
            Calafia. She fought with a rapier in each hand while wearing a skirt
            and seemed evenly matched with her opponent. There was a great deal
            of anticipation among the audience while each fencer jockeyed for
            advantage. Finally, the Lady's endurance seemed to wane underneath
            the noontime heat. For a brief moment her blade wavered and her
            opponent leaped in for an attack, mortally wounding the Lady. The
            crowd applauded her efforts, for she died well.

            Here's a website with some interesting images of women dueling:

            http://www.lothene.demon.co.uk/others/women17.html

            > and about what time period did light weapons fighting come into
            > being?

            From "A Brief History of Fencing":

            "rapier technique had its birth in the late 16th century, while
            the 17th century was the golden age of this weapon."

            You can read more at:

            http://www.geocities.com/cofc_fencing/information/history.html

            I'd be interested in seeing anything else you come up with on your
            search.

            Robert

          • chemistbb3
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
              The majority of the Lady Rapier fighters I have seen wear skirts /
              dresses around these parts.

              William