Re: Garb Questions and more!

  • vengasd <vengasd@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 11, 2002
      Greetings,

      I guess this is a good time to de-lurk in this newsgroup since I may
      have some useful knowledge.

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Erin Truesdell
      <Lilith2592@a...>" <Lilith2592@a...> wrote:

      > also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
      > but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
      > woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.

      There was a Lady fighting at the Queen's Champion Tourney in
      Calafia. She fought with a rapier in each hand while wearing a skirt
      and seemed evenly matched with her opponent. There was a great deal
      of anticipation among the audience while each fencer jockeyed for
      advantage. Finally, the Lady's endurance seemed to wane underneath
      the noontime heat. For a brief moment her blade wavered and her
      opponent leaped in for an attack, mortally wounding the Lady. The
      crowd applauded her efforts, for she died well.

      Here's a website with some interesting images of women dueling:

      http://www.lothene.demon.co.uk/others/women17.html

      > and about what time period did light weapons fighting come into
      > being?

      From "A Brief History of Fencing":

      "rapier technique had its birth in the late 16th century, while
      the 17th century was the golden age of this weapon."

      You can read more at:

      http://www.geocities.com/cofc_fencing/information/history.html

      I'd be interested in seeing anything else you come up with on your
      search.

      Robert
    • Jherle HX
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 11, 2002
        If you are interested in fighting, I suggest the Ironrose web site.
        http://www.peak.org/~grainne/Ironrose/ There's a lot of information
        regarding women fighting there. Both with heavy and light weapons. I
        fight heavy weapons and wear pretty much the same armor as the men do.

        Women in pants aren't common in some time periods. I wear pants as my
        garb and have yet to have anyone bother me about it.

        Alvör

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
          At my first event there were women rapiers in both
          skirts and "tights" (light weight cotton workout
          pants) and a slightly longer tunic over the tights.

          Reu, the unnamed

          =====
          "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them." -Ray Bradbury

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Lily Lang
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
            I should probably stop the lurking thing too. I did enjoy in recent "Equal Oppertunity Destroyers" comment, so true, so true. I don't know to much about history but I do know somegreat SCAer's in the San Antonio & Austin, Texas area if anyone needs that kinda information. :))
            Lily
            "vengasd <vengasd@...>" <vengasd@...> wrote:Greetings,

            I guess this is a good time to de-lurk in this newsgroup since I may
            have some useful knowledge.

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Erin Truesdell
            <Lilith2592@a...>" <Lilith2592@a...> wrote:

            > also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
            > but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
            > woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.

            There was a Lady fighting at the Queen's Champion Tourney in
            Calafia. She fought with a rapier in each hand while wearing a skirt
            and seemed evenly matched with her opponent. There was a great deal
            of anticipation among the audience while each fencer jockeyed for
            advantage. Finally, the Lady's endurance seemed to wane underneath
            the noontime heat. For a brief moment her blade wavered and her
            opponent leaped in for an attack, mortally wounding the Lady. The
            crowd applauded her efforts, for she died well.

            Here's a website with some interesting images of women dueling:

            http://www.lothene.demon.co.uk/others/women17.html

            > and about what time period did light weapons fighting come into
            > being?

            From "A Brief History of Fencing":

            "rapier technique had its birth in the late 16th century, while
            the 17th century was the golden age of this weapon."

            You can read more at:

            http://www.geocities.com/cofc_fencing/information/history.html

            I'd be interested in seeing anything else you come up with on your
            search.

            Robert

          • Wolfgang von Eifel
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
              <Wolfie pops head up>
              Did some one say San Antonio?
              <gets back to wasting taxpayer money>

              Wolfgang von Eifel

              From: Lily Lang <lily_sca@...>
              To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Garb Questions and more!
              Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:50:47 -0800 (PST)

              I should probably stop the lurking thing too. I did enjoy in recent "Equal
              Oppertunity Destroyers" comment, so true, so true. I don't know to much
              about history but I do know somegreat SCAer's in the San Antonio & Austin,
              Texas area if anyone needs that kinda information. :))
              Lily
              "vengasd <vengasd@...>" <vengasd@...> wrote:Greetings,

              I guess this is a good time to de-lurk in this newsgroup since I may
              have some useful knowledge.

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Erin Truesdell
              <Lilith2592@a...>" <Lilith2592@a...> wrote:

              > also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
              > but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
              > woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.

              There was a Lady fighting at the Queen's Champion Tourney in
              Calafia. She fought with a rapier in each hand while wearing a skirt
              and seemed evenly matched with her opponent. There was a great deal
              of anticipation among the audience while each fencer jockeyed for
              advantage. Finally, the Lady's endurance seemed to wane underneath
              the noontime heat. For a brief moment her blade wavered and her
              opponent leaped in for an attack, mortally wounding the Lady. The
              crowd applauded her efforts, for she died well.

              Here's a website with some interesting images of women dueling:

              http://www.lothene.demon.co.uk/others/women17.html

              > and about what time period did light weapons fighting come into
              > being?

              From "A Brief History of Fencing":

              "rapier technique had its birth in the late 16th century, while
              the 17th century was the golden age of this weapon."

              You can read more at:

              http://www.geocities.com/cofc_fencing/information/history.html

              I'd be interested in seeing anything else you come up with on your
              search.

              Robert

            • chemistbb3
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
                The majority of the Lady Rapier fighters I have seen wear skirts /
                dresses around these parts.

                William