Re: [SCA Newcomers] Garb Questions and more!

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 11, 2002
      On Tuesday 10 December 2002 20:52, "Erin Truesdell wrote:
      > also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
      > but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
      > woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.

      I can't speak to rapier combat, but in armoured combat, a female fighter wears
      essentially the same clothing as a male fighter. Wear what is comfortable and
      safe, without trailing skirts or other cloth that might get caught in another
      person's armor during melee combat. Make sure it breathes well, wicking the
      perspiration away from your body, because we Chirurgeons don't want to treat
      you for heat exhaustion.

      There is no fundamental attempt by most fighters of either gender to look
      specifically male or female, respectively, because on the list field everyone
      is either an ally or an enemy, without prejudice. We fighters pride ourselves
      on being "Equal Opportunity Destroyers." :-)

      Welcome to combat. I hope we get to slay each other some day.

      fesswise reversed sable.

    • vengasd <vengasd@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 11, 2002
        Greetings,

        I guess this is a good time to de-lurk in this newsgroup since I may
        have some useful knowledge.

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Erin Truesdell
        <Lilith2592@a...>" <Lilith2592@a...> wrote:

        > also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
        > but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
        > woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.

        There was a Lady fighting at the Queen's Champion Tourney in
        Calafia. She fought with a rapier in each hand while wearing a skirt
        and seemed evenly matched with her opponent. There was a great deal
        of anticipation among the audience while each fencer jockeyed for
        advantage. Finally, the Lady's endurance seemed to wane underneath
        the noontime heat. For a brief moment her blade wavered and her
        opponent leaped in for an attack, mortally wounding the Lady. The
        crowd applauded her efforts, for she died well.

        Here's a website with some interesting images of women dueling:

        http://www.lothene.demon.co.uk/others/women17.html

        > and about what time period did light weapons fighting come into
        > being?

        From "A Brief History of Fencing":

        "rapier technique had its birth in the late 16th century, while
        the 17th century was the golden age of this weapon."

        You can read more at:

        http://www.geocities.com/cofc_fencing/information/history.html

        I'd be interested in seeing anything else you come up with on your
        search.

        Robert
      • Jherle HX
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 11, 2002
          If you are interested in fighting, I suggest the Ironrose web site.
          http://www.peak.org/~grainne/Ironrose/ There's a lot of information
          regarding women fighting there. Both with heavy and light weapons. I
          fight heavy weapons and wear pretty much the same armor as the men do.

          Women in pants aren't common in some time periods. I wear pants as my
          garb and have yet to have anyone bother me about it.

          Alvör

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
            At my first event there were women rapiers in both
            skirts and "tights" (light weight cotton workout
            pants) and a slightly longer tunic over the tights.

            Reu, the unnamed

            =====
            "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them." -Ray Bradbury

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • Lily Lang
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
              I should probably stop the lurking thing too. I did enjoy in recent "Equal Oppertunity Destroyers" comment, so true, so true. I don't know to much about history but I do know somegreat SCAer's in the San Antonio & Austin, Texas area if anyone needs that kinda information. :))
              Lily
              "vengasd <vengasd@...>" <vengasd@...> wrote:Greetings,

              I guess this is a good time to de-lurk in this newsgroup since I may
              have some useful knowledge.

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Erin Truesdell
              <Lilith2592@a...>" <Lilith2592@a...> wrote:

              > also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
              > but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
              > woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.

              There was a Lady fighting at the Queen's Champion Tourney in
              Calafia. She fought with a rapier in each hand while wearing a skirt
              and seemed evenly matched with her opponent. There was a great deal
              of anticipation among the audience while each fencer jockeyed for
              advantage. Finally, the Lady's endurance seemed to wane underneath
              the noontime heat. For a brief moment her blade wavered and her
              opponent leaped in for an attack, mortally wounding the Lady. The
              crowd applauded her efforts, for she died well.

              Here's a website with some interesting images of women dueling:

              http://www.lothene.demon.co.uk/others/women17.html

              > and about what time period did light weapons fighting come into
              > being?

              From "A Brief History of Fencing":

              "rapier technique had its birth in the late 16th century, while
              the 17th century was the golden age of this weapon."

              You can read more at:

              http://www.geocities.com/cofc_fencing/information/history.html

              I'd be interested in seeing anything else you come up with on your
              search.

              Robert

            • Wolfgang von Eifel
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
                <Wolfie pops head up>
                Did some one say San Antonio?
                <gets back to wasting taxpayer money>

                Wolfgang von Eifel

                From: Lily Lang <lily_sca@...>
                To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Garb Questions and more!
                Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:50:47 -0800 (PST)

                I should probably stop the lurking thing too. I did enjoy in recent "Equal
                Oppertunity Destroyers" comment, so true, so true. I don't know to much
                about history but I do know somegreat SCAer's in the San Antonio & Austin,
                Texas area if anyone needs that kinda information. :))
                Lily
                "vengasd <vengasd@...>" <vengasd@...> wrote:Greetings,

                I guess this is a good time to de-lurk in this newsgroup since I may
                have some useful knowledge.

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Erin Truesdell
                <Lilith2592@a...>" <Lilith2592@a...> wrote:

                > also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
                > but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
                > woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.

                There was a Lady fighting at the Queen's Champion Tourney in
                Calafia. She fought with a rapier in each hand while wearing a skirt
                and seemed evenly matched with her opponent. There was a great deal
                of anticipation among the audience while each fencer jockeyed for
                advantage. Finally, the Lady's endurance seemed to wane underneath
                the noontime heat. For a brief moment her blade wavered and her
                opponent leaped in for an attack, mortally wounding the Lady. The
                crowd applauded her efforts, for she died well.

                Here's a website with some interesting images of women dueling:

                http://www.lothene.demon.co.uk/others/women17.html

                > and about what time period did light weapons fighting come into
                > being?

                From "A Brief History of Fencing":

                "rapier technique had its birth in the late 16th century, while
                the 17th century was the golden age of this weapon."

                You can read more at:

                http://www.geocities.com/cofc_fencing/information/history.html

                I'd be interested in seeing anything else you come up with on your
                search.

                Robert

              • chemistbb3
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
                  The majority of the Lady Rapier fighters I have seen wear skirts /
                  dresses around these parts.

                  William