Garb Questions and more!

  • Erin Truesdell <Lilith2592@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 10, 2002
      Okay, garb questions- Can anyone find any historical documentation
      for front lacing bodices in the mid 1500's in england? and where
      does one buy very very small grommets? (size 00 two peice grommets
      and a setter.) i refuse to use eyelets, they irk me.
      also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
      but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
      woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.
      and is there a basic website that has something of a general
      overveiw of different periods and cultures that one can chose a
      persona from?
      and about what time period did light weapons fighting come into
      being?
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 11, 2002
        On Tuesday 10 December 2002 20:52, "Erin Truesdell wrote:
        > also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
        > but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
        > woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.

        I can't speak to rapier combat, but in armoured combat, a female fighter wears
        essentially the same clothing as a male fighter. Wear what is comfortable and
        safe, without trailing skirts or other cloth that might get caught in another
        person's armor during melee combat. Make sure it breathes well, wicking the
        perspiration away from your body, because we Chirurgeons don't want to treat
        you for heat exhaustion.

        There is no fundamental attempt by most fighters of either gender to look
        specifically male or female, respectively, because on the list field everyone
        is either an ally or an enemy, without prejudice. We fighters pride ourselves
        on being "Equal Opportunity Destroyers." :-)

        Welcome to combat. I hope we get to slay each other some day.

        fesswise reversed sable.

      • vengasd <vengasd@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 11, 2002
          Greetings,

          I guess this is a good time to de-lurk in this newsgroup since I may
          have some useful knowledge.

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Erin Truesdell
          <Lilith2592@a...>" <Lilith2592@a...> wrote:

          > also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
          > but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
          > woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.

          There was a Lady fighting at the Queen's Champion Tourney in
          Calafia. She fought with a rapier in each hand while wearing a skirt
          and seemed evenly matched with her opponent. There was a great deal
          of anticipation among the audience while each fencer jockeyed for
          advantage. Finally, the Lady's endurance seemed to wane underneath
          the noontime heat. For a brief moment her blade wavered and her
          opponent leaped in for an attack, mortally wounding the Lady. The
          crowd applauded her efforts, for she died well.

          Here's a website with some interesting images of women dueling:

          http://www.lothene.demon.co.uk/others/women17.html

          > and about what time period did light weapons fighting come into
          > being?

          From "A Brief History of Fencing":

          "rapier technique had its birth in the late 16th century, while
          the 17th century was the golden age of this weapon."

          You can read more at:

          http://www.geocities.com/cofc_fencing/information/history.html

          I'd be interested in seeing anything else you come up with on your
          search.

          Robert
        • Jherle HX
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 11, 2002
            If you are interested in fighting, I suggest the Ironrose web site.
            http://www.peak.org/~grainne/Ironrose/ There's a lot of information
            regarding women fighting there. Both with heavy and light weapons. I
            fight heavy weapons and wear pretty much the same armor as the men do.

            Women in pants aren't common in some time periods. I wear pants as my
            garb and have yet to have anyone bother me about it.

            Alvör

            Okay, garb questions- Can anyone find any historical documentation
            for front lacing bodices in the mid 1500's in england? and where
            does one buy very very small grommets? (size 00 two peice grommets
            and a setter.) i refuse to use eyelets, they irk me.
            also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
            but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
            woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.
            and is there a basic website that has something of a general
            overveiw of different periods and cultures that one can chose a
            persona from?
            and about what time period did light weapons fighting come into
            being?

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Green Thumb
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
              At my first event there were women rapiers in both
              skirts and "tights" (light weight cotton workout
              pants) and a slightly longer tunic over the tights.

              Reu, the unnamed

              =====
              "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them." -Ray Bradbury

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • Lily Lang
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
                I should probably stop the lurking thing too. I did enjoy in recent "Equal Oppertunity Destroyers" comment, so true, so true. I don't know to much about history but I do know somegreat SCAer's in the San Antonio & Austin, Texas area if anyone needs that kinda information. :))
                Lily
                "vengasd <vengasd@...>" <vengasd@...> wrote:Greetings,

                I guess this is a good time to de-lurk in this newsgroup since I may
                have some useful knowledge.

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Erin Truesdell
                <Lilith2592@a...>" <Lilith2592@a...> wrote:

                > also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
                > but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
                > woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.

                There was a Lady fighting at the Queen's Champion Tourney in
                Calafia. She fought with a rapier in each hand while wearing a skirt
                and seemed evenly matched with her opponent. There was a great deal
                of anticipation among the audience while each fencer jockeyed for
                advantage. Finally, the Lady's endurance seemed to wane underneath
                the noontime heat. For a brief moment her blade wavered and her
                opponent leaped in for an attack, mortally wounding the Lady. The
                crowd applauded her efforts, for she died well.

                Here's a website with some interesting images of women dueling:

                http://www.lothene.demon.co.uk/others/women17.html

                > and about what time period did light weapons fighting come into
                > being?

                From "A Brief History of Fencing":

                "rapier technique had its birth in the late 16th century, while
                the 17th century was the golden age of this weapon."

                You can read more at:

                http://www.geocities.com/cofc_fencing/information/history.html

                I'd be interested in seeing anything else you come up with on your
                search.

                Robert

              • Wolfgang von Eifel
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
                  <Wolfie pops head up>
                  Did some one say San Antonio?
                  <gets back to wasting taxpayer money>

                  Wolfgang von Eifel

                  From: Lily Lang <lily_sca@...>
                  To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Garb Questions and more!
                  Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:50:47 -0800 (PST)

                  I should probably stop the lurking thing too. I did enjoy in recent "Equal
                  Oppertunity Destroyers" comment, so true, so true. I don't know to much
                  about history but I do know somegreat SCAer's in the San Antonio & Austin,
                  Texas area if anyone needs that kinda information. :))
                  Lily
                  "vengasd <vengasd@...>" <vengasd@...> wrote:Greetings,

                  I guess this is a good time to de-lurk in this newsgroup since I may
                  have some useful knowledge.

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Erin Truesdell
                  <Lilith2592@a...>" <Lilith2592@a...> wrote:

                  > also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
                  > but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
                  > woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.

                  There was a Lady fighting at the Queen's Champion Tourney in
                  Calafia. She fought with a rapier in each hand while wearing a skirt
                  and seemed evenly matched with her opponent. There was a great deal
                  of anticipation among the audience while each fencer jockeyed for
                  advantage. Finally, the Lady's endurance seemed to wane underneath
                  the noontime heat. For a brief moment her blade wavered and her
                  opponent leaped in for an attack, mortally wounding the Lady. The
                  crowd applauded her efforts, for she died well.

                  Here's a website with some interesting images of women dueling:

                  http://www.lothene.demon.co.uk/others/women17.html

                  > and about what time period did light weapons fighting come into
                  > being?

                  From "A Brief History of Fencing":

                  "rapier technique had its birth in the late 16th century, while
                  the 17th century was the golden age of this weapon."

                  You can read more at:

                  http://www.geocities.com/cofc_fencing/information/history.html

                  I'd be interested in seeing anything else you come up with on your
                  search.

                  Robert

                • chemistbb3
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 12, 2002
                    The majority of the Lady Rapier fighters I have seen wear skirts /
                    dresses around these parts.

                    William