Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: language resources

  • Dee
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2002
      As I go out today at 3pm to take my Western Civilization class, and deal with a man named Justinian (Byzantine Empire) who assembled various books of law in his domain, I have to wonder something, and I thought who better than the other Justin to help?

      Grins.

      And if he can't then I've asked on list!

      What language DID the Byzantium folks speak down there before being sacked in 1453?

      Grins.

      Mary
      ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2002
        On Monday 09 December 2002 09:54, Dee wrote:
        > What language DID the Byzantium folks speak down there before being sacked
        > in 1453?

        Mostly Greek, but some Latin.

        Incidentally, there were *two* Justinian emperors, both of whom were wise and
        well-respected by their people for their great public works projects and for
        codifying the laws that became the basis for much of western civilization's
        modern legal code.

        There were two emperors Justin as well. They were illiterate despots, hated by
        all. I think one of them was assassinated, and if so, deserved it.

        Guess which ones I'm named after. ;-)

        Moral of the story: Do your research *before* you pick your SCA name.

        Justin
        Charter Member, Alderford Poultry Protection League

        fesswise reversed sable.