Re: language resources

  • njal_tjorkilsson <njal_tjorkilsson@yahoo
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 9, 2002
      Tough question!
      For me personally, there is a relatively good selection of books and
      websites devoted to Scandinavian languages and Old English (Anglo-
      Saxon). I generally just Google Search, looking under different
      combinations of: Language (culture), sayings, idioms, dictionary,
      etc...

      I'll admit that sometimes I fudge on vocabulary, since Old Norse is
      effectively defunct except in Iceland, I *occasionally* use Swedish,
      Danish or Norweigan expressions.

      Even more than that I use plain ol' romanticized pseudo-medieval
      speech when I can pull it off and not sound silly.

      In all honesty, I generally use true period language etc when doing
      scribal work. Otherwise I just sound weird and folks rarely
      understand what i'm trying to pull off. IMO it's great to learn,
      rarely practical to use at events.

      I hope this has been helpful. I'm sure there are others who use this
      more often than I.

      In Omnia Veritas,
      Njall Tjorkilsson, KSCA

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Bon Johnston <baubo@s...> wrote:
      > Hi!
      >
      > What kinds of resources are you all using to get more familiar with
      your
      > chosen historical period -- I'm especially interested in language-
      related
      > (vocabulary, unusual expressions, idioms)?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Bon Johnston
      > baubo@s...
    • Tina Paxton
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2002
        I found a website online that has some good, basic,
        information on the Scots language. Scots is the
        language of the Lallan (Lowland) Scots. It is a
        separate language from that of the Highlanders (who
        spoke gaelic) or the English but it did derive from
        Gaelic, English, as well as Norwegian and Flanders.
        Anyway, if your persona is from the Borderlands, this
        might be of interest to you.

        http://www.scots-online.org/

        If you are interested in a different area, I suspect
        you could find similar websites for the area.

        --- Bon Johnston <baubo@...> wrote:
        > Hi!
        >
        > What kinds of resources are you all using to get
        > more familiar with your
        > chosen historical period -- I'm especially
        > interested in language-related
        > (vocabulary, unusual expressions, idioms)?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Bon Johnston
        > baubo@...

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Dee
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2002
          Thank you! I play a Scotts!

          :)

          Mary Henline
          Denise R
          US2002106703
          HoCU Ohio #008
          http://home.neo.rr.com/hcu/
          AIM = DeeUS2002106703//Yahoo = GypsyCaine

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 9, 2002
            You are most welcome. So, what part of the Lallans
            are you from, if I may ask!?