language resources

  • Bon Johnston
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2002
      Hi!

      What kinds of resources are you all using to get more familiar with your
      chosen historical period -- I'm especially interested in language-related
      (vocabulary, unusual expressions, idioms)?

      Thanks!

      Bon Johnston
      baubo@...
    • njal_tjorkilsson <njal_tjorkilsson@yahoo
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2002
        Tough question!
        For me personally, there is a relatively good selection of books and
        websites devoted to Scandinavian languages and Old English (Anglo-
        Saxon). I generally just Google Search, looking under different
        combinations of: Language (culture), sayings, idioms, dictionary,
        etc...

        I'll admit that sometimes I fudge on vocabulary, since Old Norse is
        effectively defunct except in Iceland, I *occasionally* use Swedish,
        Danish or Norweigan expressions.

        Even more than that I use plain ol' romanticized pseudo-medieval
        speech when I can pull it off and not sound silly.

        In all honesty, I generally use true period language etc when doing
        scribal work. Otherwise I just sound weird and folks rarely
        understand what i'm trying to pull off. IMO it's great to learn,
        rarely practical to use at events.

        I hope this has been helpful. I'm sure there are others who use this
        more often than I.

        In Omnia Veritas,
        Njall Tjorkilsson, KSCA

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Bon Johnston <baubo@s...> wrote:
        > Hi!
        >
        > What kinds of resources are you all using to get more familiar with
        your
        > chosen historical period -- I'm especially interested in language-
        related
        > (vocabulary, unusual expressions, idioms)?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Bon Johnston
        > baubo@s...
      • Tina Paxton
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2002
          I found a website online that has some good, basic,
          information on the Scots language. Scots is the
          language of the Lallan (Lowland) Scots. It is a
          separate language from that of the Highlanders (who
          spoke gaelic) or the English but it did derive from
          Gaelic, English, as well as Norwegian and Flanders.
          Anyway, if your persona is from the Borderlands, this
          might be of interest to you.

          http://www.scots-online.org/

          If you are interested in a different area, I suspect
          you could find similar websites for the area.

          --- Bon Johnston <baubo@...> wrote:
          > Hi!
          >
          > What kinds of resources are you all using to get
          > more familiar with your
          > chosen historical period -- I'm especially
          > interested in language-related
          > (vocabulary, unusual expressions, idioms)?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Bon Johnston
          > baubo@...

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Dee
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 9, 2002
            Thank you! I play a Scotts!

            :)

            Mary Henline
            Denise R
            US2002106703
            HoCU Ohio #008
            http://home.neo.rr.com/hcu/
            AIM = DeeUS2002106703//Yahoo = GypsyCaine

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 9, 2002
              You are most welcome. So, what part of the Lallans
              are you from, if I may ask!?