[SCA Newcomers] Re: Spam

  • lady_dobrova <allestra@sbcglobal.net>
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 8, 2002
      <laugh> I love the dialogue!

      I like the name Dobrova, too, but when I went to document it, I
      discovered that I had misread the reference. The actual name was
      Dobrava (anglicized) or Dabrowka in the true form. It would be
      properly pronounced dah-BROOV-kah. Dobrova is currently used as a
      surname and I believe it is also a town in modern Poland.

      I found the name Kachna on the website for the Academy of St.
      Gabriel, so I am fairly certain it is period. The name Kachna would
      be pronounced KASH-na or KACH-na, depending on the region, or so I am
      told by speakers of modern Polish. I prefer the former. Of course,
      since dialects have changed, a few hundred years ago it may have been
      pronounced differently. For all I know 14th and 15th century Slavs
      may have pronounced it Casper Weinberger. :)

      Kachna

      <justin@4...> wrote:
      > On Saturday 07 December 2002 22:01, "lady_dobrova wrote:
      > > Dobrova
      > >
      > > Soon to be Kachna (I think)
      > > Any opinions on the new name?
      >
      > Hmmm... I like Dobrova a lot, but Kachna's pretty, too. If it is
      pronounced
      > the way it would seem to be, it kind of has an exotic feel as it
      rolls off
      > the tongue:
      >
      > "Who is that exquisite lady? The one over there by the silk
      merchant's booth?"

      > "Ahhh, my son, that would be Lady Kachna. Let your eye linger, but
      your eye
      > only, for that one has a sharp wit that would skewer a young man
      like you
      > like an olive on a toothpick. Suitors have fought and even died for
      her
      > attentions, and yet she will have none of them. There are rumors
      that she
      > has laid a quest, and promised her hand in marriage to the noble
      prince who
      > fulfills that quest, but an old man, such as I, would have no
      interest in
      > such things. Quests are for young men with hot blood, and I can see
      that
      > Lady Kachna has stirred yours. Be careful, lest you win more than
      you have
      > imagined!"
      >
      > --
      > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::[]
      xxxx()

      http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      > PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 9, 2002
        On Sunday 08 December 2002 16:18, "lady_dobrova wrote:
        > For all I know 14th and 15th century Slavs
        > may have pronounced it Casper Weinberger. :)

        Or worse: Zbiegnew Brzezinski !

        fesswise reversed sable.