RE: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Spam

  • Paul Dunn
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 7, 2002
      Salve Justin but was not me asking to find this person, All I did was
      welcome somebody.

      Vale Tiberius

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 7, 2002
        Hi Phoennix,

        I'm glad it was a simple error, I mean I make em daily so, it's no big
        deal.

        We have had in the past a rash of problems with advertising and
        chainletters being spammed to the group. This was earlier this year.
        We (The founders) decided after members reccomended, to change the
        Moderation guidelines for a while. After several months we went back
        to a wide open policy because basically, it sucks having to approve a
        dozen messages a day.

        No big deal. Nobody is going to "banish" you;)

        Njall

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Welsh <wfa_ffl@h...>"

      • lady_dobrova <allestra@sbcglobal.net>
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 7, 2002
          Hello, Phoeniniix

          At least you get to skip the whole "Hi, my name is so-and-so and I'm
          new" spiel! You already got everyone's attention - what an
          entrance! <snicker>

          Seriously, though, welcome to the group and thanks for admitting your
          oopsy. We all make 'em!

          Dobrova

          Soon to be Kachna (I think)
          Any opinions on the new name?

          <wfa_ffl@h...> wrote:
          > I wanted to take this chance to apologize for the post. It was I
          who
          > posted it. I had just joined this group yesterday, and I added the
          > email list to my list of contacts in my hotmail address book. I was
          > not intending on posting this message to all of you. I am sorry.
          When
          > I went to forward this email to my friends and family, I had
          > forgotten that I had added this email to the address book, and
          chose
          > to pick send to all. I am deeply sorry for this. It will not happen
          > again. If you want to, you can take me out of the group, if that is
          > what needs to be done. I am truely sorry for any harm done.
          >
          > Phoenniix

        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 8, 2002
            On Saturday 07 December 2002 22:01, "lady_dobrova wrote:
            > Dobrova
            >
            > Soon to be Kachna (I think)
            > Any opinions on the new name?

            Hmmm... I like Dobrova a lot, but Kachna's pretty, too. If it is pronounced
            the way it would seem to be, it kind of has an exotic feel as it rolls off
            the tongue:

            "Who is that exquisite lady? The one over there by the silk merchant's booth?"

            "Ahhh, my son, that would be Lady Kachna. Let your eye linger, but your eye
            only, for that one has a sharp wit that would skewer a young man like you
            like an olive on a toothpick. Suitors have fought and even died for her
            attentions, and yet she will have none of them. There are rumors that she
            has laid a quest, and promised her hand in marriage to the noble prince who
            fulfills that quest, but an old man, such as I, would have no interest in
            such things. Quests are for young men with hot blood, and I can see that
            Lady Kachna has stirred yours. Be careful, lest you win more than you have
            imagined!"

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 8, 2002
              On Saturday 07 December 2002 19:11, Paul Dunn wrote:
              > Salve Justin but was not me asking to find this person, All I did was
              > welcome somebody.

              My apologies...I didn't realize that I was looking at *two* messages. As
              the message arrived here, they were sort of mingled together with nothing
              obviously separating them. Please forgive the error of mixing your name
              into this. The warning, though, still stands -- just not related to you!

              Kind regards,

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 8, 2002
                No harm no foul but yes I agree with the warning you gave out. I have
                been online a long time and have heard of similar stories some yes sadly
                enough have involved people going missing as a result. The SCA is full
                of great people but even here you find the odd one or two that can ruin
                it for all if not careful. I look at it this way if people wish to find
                me and they know what boards I am on and wish to contact me just send me
                an email :D or they can visit my Legion's website
                http://embark.to/LegioXXI/

                Vale
                Tiberius

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 8, 2002
                  <laugh> I love the dialogue!

                  I like the name Dobrova, too, but when I went to document it, I
                  discovered that I had misread the reference. The actual name was
                  Dobrava (anglicized) or Dabrowka in the true form. It would be
                  properly pronounced dah-BROOV-kah. Dobrova is currently used as a
                  surname and I believe it is also a town in modern Poland.

                  I found the name Kachna on the website for the Academy of St.
                  Gabriel, so I am fairly certain it is period. The name Kachna would
                  be pronounced KASH-na or KACH-na, depending on the region, or so I am
                  told by speakers of modern Polish. I prefer the former. Of course,
                  since dialects have changed, a few hundred years ago it may have been
                  pronounced differently. For all I know 14th and 15th century Slavs
                  may have pronounced it Casper Weinberger. :)

                  Kachna

                  http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 9, 2002
                    On Sunday 08 December 2002 16:18, "lady_dobrova wrote:
                    > For all I know 14th and 15th century Slavs
                    > may have pronounced it Casper Weinberger. :)

                    Or worse: Zbiegnew Brzezinski !

                    fesswise reversed sable.