Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Spam

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 7 3:15 PM
      On Saturday 07 December 2002 15:14, rod lindsey wrote:
      > Hello everyone, I'm Rod Lindsey's dad and am trying to locate him. I
      > haven't seen or heard from him in nearly a week, I'm beginning to be
      > concerned. If anyone has seen him or knows where he is, please cintact him
      > and tell him to call home. Thanks and sorry for the intrusion.

      Gentlefolk,

      I apologize in advance for the tone of the message I am sending here, because
      it will sound really terrible in light of the above.

      First, let me cut to the chase: If you know Rod Lindsey, feel free to follow
      the instructions above and contact *him* to ask him to call home. But do not
      provide Rod's contact information to this person who says he is Rod's dad.

      Now, before you decide I am a cold-hearted bastard, please let me explain.
      A few months ago, there was a situation in which someone (NOT the person
      posting this time!) posted a very similar message to a list, asking help
      in contacting his son. It turned out that the father was abusive and there
      was actually a court restraining order out against the father, who was
      stalking him. The son was over 18 and lived away from home, and had chosen
      not to disclose his location to his estranged father.

      There is nothing proving that Mr. Dunn even *is* Rod Lindsey's father, so
      it could be a total stranger.

      Mr. Dunn, please know that I am not in *ANY* way
      insinuating that this applies to you. In all likelihood you are a loving
      father genuinely concerned about his son. I hope you will understand that
      I post this message out of concern, and to *protect* Rod from anyone
      who seeks to do him harm, as was the situation with this other family.

      To other members of the list: Giving Mr. Dunn's e-mail address *to* Rod
      Lindsey is fine. If you know Rod, give him a printed copy of the message
      and let him decide what to do. Or, if you are deeply concerned about
      Rod's welfare (e.g., if Rod has mentioned harming himself but is not
      willing to contact his family), contact modern-world (not SCA!) authorities.
      But do not give out Rod's contact information, nor send an e-mail to Rod
      and to this list, because either of those actions could potentially
      expose Rod's identity.

      Again, I sincerely believe it is very likely that this message is genuine,
      but because I have personally seen one case in which such a message was
      *not* genuine, I must urge caution.

      Kind regards,

      Justin...
      Who encountered this situation in an official capacity some months ago,
      and found it extremely disquieting -- so please pardon me if I'm overly
      paranoid now.

      Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • Paul Dunn
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 7 4:11 PM
        Salve Justin but was not me asking to find this person, All I did was
        welcome somebody.

        Vale Tiberius

        --
        ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
        <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()

      • njal_tjorkilsson <njal_tjorkilsson@yahoo
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 7 6:34 PM
          Hi Phoennix,

          I'm glad it was a simple error, I mean I make em daily so, it's no big
          deal.

          We have had in the past a rash of problems with advertising and
          chainletters being spammed to the group. This was earlier this year.
          We (The founders) decided after members reccomended, to change the
          Moderation guidelines for a while. After several months we went back
          to a wide open policy because basically, it sucks having to approve a
          dozen messages a day.

          No big deal. Nobody is going to "banish" you;)

          Njall

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Welsh <wfa_ffl@h...>"

        • lady_dobrova <allestra@sbcglobal.net>
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 7 7:01 PM
            Hello, Phoeniniix

            At least you get to skip the whole "Hi, my name is so-and-so and I'm
            new" spiel! You already got everyone's attention - what an
            entrance! <snicker>

            Seriously, though, welcome to the group and thanks for admitting your
            oopsy. We all make 'em!

            Dobrova

            Soon to be Kachna (I think)
            Any opinions on the new name?

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 8 8:40 AM
              On Saturday 07 December 2002 22:01, "lady_dobrova wrote:
              > Dobrova
              >
              > Soon to be Kachna (I think)
              > Any opinions on the new name?

              Hmmm... I like Dobrova a lot, but Kachna's pretty, too. If it is pronounced
              the way it would seem to be, it kind of has an exotic feel as it rolls off
              the tongue:

              "Who is that exquisite lady? The one over there by the silk merchant's booth?"

              "Ahhh, my son, that would be Lady Kachna. Let your eye linger, but your eye
              only, for that one has a sharp wit that would skewer a young man like you
              like an olive on a toothpick. Suitors have fought and even died for her
              attentions, and yet she will have none of them. There are rumors that she
              has laid a quest, and promised her hand in marriage to the noble prince who
              fulfills that quest, but an old man, such as I, would have no interest in
              such things. Quests are for young men with hot blood, and I can see that
              Lady Kachna has stirred yours. Be careful, lest you win more than you have
              imagined!"

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 8 8:42 AM
                On Saturday 07 December 2002 19:11, Paul Dunn wrote:
                > Salve Justin but was not me asking to find this person, All I did was
                > welcome somebody.

                My apologies...I didn't realize that I was looking at *two* messages. As
                the message arrived here, they were sort of mingled together with nothing
                obviously separating them. Please forgive the error of mixing your name
                into this. The warning, though, still stands -- just not related to you!

                Kind regards,

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 8 9:44 AM
                  No harm no foul but yes I agree with the warning you gave out. I have
                  been online a long time and have heard of similar stories some yes sadly
                  enough have involved people going missing as a result. The SCA is full
                  of great people but even here you find the odd one or two that can ruin
                  it for all if not careful. I look at it this way if people wish to find
                  me and they know what boards I am on and wish to contact me just send me
                  an email :D or they can visit my Legion's website
                  http://embark.to/LegioXXI/

                  Vale
                  Tiberius

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 8 1:18 PM
                    <laugh> I love the dialogue!

                    I like the name Dobrova, too, but when I went to document it, I
                    discovered that I had misread the reference. The actual name was
                    Dobrava (anglicized) or Dabrowka in the true form. It would be
                    properly pronounced dah-BROOV-kah. Dobrova is currently used as a
                    surname and I believe it is also a town in modern Poland.

                    I found the name Kachna on the website for the Academy of St.
                    Gabriel, so I am fairly certain it is period. The name Kachna would
                    be pronounced KASH-na or KACH-na, depending on the region, or so I am
                    told by speakers of modern Polish. I prefer the former. Of course,
                    since dialects have changed, a few hundred years ago it may have been
                    pronounced differently. For all I know 14th and 15th century Slavs
                    may have pronounced it Casper Weinberger. :)

                    Kachna

                    http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 9 4:43 AM
                      On Sunday 08 December 2002 16:18, "lady_dobrova wrote:
                      > For all I know 14th and 15th century Slavs
                      > may have pronounced it Casper Weinberger. :)

                      Or worse: Zbiegnew Brzezinski !

                      fesswise reversed sable.