RE: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Spam

  • rod lindsey
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 7, 2002
      Hello everyone, I'm Rod Lindsey's dad and am trying to locate him. I haven't seen or heard from him in nearly a week, I'm beginning to be concerned. If anyone has seen him or knows where he is, please cintact him and tell him to call home. Thanks and sorry for the intrusion.
      Paul Dunn <Legion_XXI@...> wrote:Welcome to the group
      We all have had a day where a private posting to certain people has
      gone astray ;) and at least you had said something showing you are not a
      spammer.

      Tiberius

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 7, 2002
        On Saturday 07 December 2002 15:14, rod lindsey wrote:
        > Hello everyone, I'm Rod Lindsey's dad and am trying to locate him. I
        > haven't seen or heard from him in nearly a week, I'm beginning to be
        > concerned. If anyone has seen him or knows where he is, please cintact him
        > and tell him to call home. Thanks and sorry for the intrusion.

        Gentlefolk,

        I apologize in advance for the tone of the message I am sending here, because
        it will sound really terrible in light of the above.

        First, let me cut to the chase: If you know Rod Lindsey, feel free to follow
        the instructions above and contact *him* to ask him to call home. But do not
        provide Rod's contact information to this person who says he is Rod's dad.

        Now, before you decide I am a cold-hearted bastard, please let me explain.
        A few months ago, there was a situation in which someone (NOT the person
        posting this time!) posted a very similar message to a list, asking help
        in contacting his son. It turned out that the father was abusive and there
        was actually a court restraining order out against the father, who was
        stalking him. The son was over 18 and lived away from home, and had chosen
        not to disclose his location to his estranged father.

        There is nothing proving that Mr. Dunn even *is* Rod Lindsey's father, so
        it could be a total stranger.

        Mr. Dunn, please know that I am not in *ANY* way
        insinuating that this applies to you. In all likelihood you are a loving
        father genuinely concerned about his son. I hope you will understand that
        I post this message out of concern, and to *protect* Rod from anyone
        who seeks to do him harm, as was the situation with this other family.

        To other members of the list: Giving Mr. Dunn's e-mail address *to* Rod
        Lindsey is fine. If you know Rod, give him a printed copy of the message
        and let him decide what to do. Or, if you are deeply concerned about
        Rod's welfare (e.g., if Rod has mentioned harming himself but is not
        willing to contact his family), contact modern-world (not SCA!) authorities.
        But do not give out Rod's contact information, nor send an e-mail to Rod
        and to this list, because either of those actions could potentially
        expose Rod's identity.

        Again, I sincerely believe it is very likely that this message is genuine,
        but because I have personally seen one case in which such a message was
        *not* genuine, I must urge caution.

        Kind regards,

        Justin...
        Who encountered this situation in an official capacity some months ago,
        and found it extremely disquieting -- so please pardon me if I'm overly
        paranoid now.

        Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • Paul Dunn
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 7, 2002
          Salve Justin but was not me asking to find this person, All I did was
          welcome somebody.

          Vale Tiberius

          --
          ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
          <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()

        • njal_tjorkilsson <njal_tjorkilsson@yahoo
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 7, 2002
            Hi Phoennix,

            I'm glad it was a simple error, I mean I make em daily so, it's no big
            deal.

            We have had in the past a rash of problems with advertising and
            chainletters being spammed to the group. This was earlier this year.
            We (The founders) decided after members reccomended, to change the
            Moderation guidelines for a while. After several months we went back
            to a wide open policy because basically, it sucks having to approve a
            dozen messages a day.

            No big deal. Nobody is going to "banish" you;)

            Njall

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Welsh <wfa_ffl@h...>"

          • lady_dobrova <allestra@sbcglobal.net>
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 7, 2002
              Hello, Phoeniniix

              At least you get to skip the whole "Hi, my name is so-and-so and I'm
              new" spiel! You already got everyone's attention - what an
              entrance! <snicker>

              Seriously, though, welcome to the group and thanks for admitting your
              oopsy. We all make 'em!

              Dobrova

              Soon to be Kachna (I think)
              Any opinions on the new name?

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 8, 2002
                On Saturday 07 December 2002 22:01, "lady_dobrova wrote:
                > Dobrova
                >
                > Soon to be Kachna (I think)
                > Any opinions on the new name?

                Hmmm... I like Dobrova a lot, but Kachna's pretty, too. If it is pronounced
                the way it would seem to be, it kind of has an exotic feel as it rolls off
                the tongue:

                "Who is that exquisite lady? The one over there by the silk merchant's booth?"

                "Ahhh, my son, that would be Lady Kachna. Let your eye linger, but your eye
                only, for that one has a sharp wit that would skewer a young man like you
                like an olive on a toothpick. Suitors have fought and even died for her
                attentions, and yet she will have none of them. There are rumors that she
                has laid a quest, and promised her hand in marriage to the noble prince who
                fulfills that quest, but an old man, such as I, would have no interest in
                such things. Quests are for young men with hot blood, and I can see that
                Lady Kachna has stirred yours. Be careful, lest you win more than you have
                imagined!"

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 8, 2002
                  On Saturday 07 December 2002 19:11, Paul Dunn wrote:
                  > Salve Justin but was not me asking to find this person, All I did was
                  > welcome somebody.

                  My apologies...I didn't realize that I was looking at *two* messages. As
                  the message arrived here, they were sort of mingled together with nothing
                  obviously separating them. Please forgive the error of mixing your name
                  into this. The warning, though, still stands -- just not related to you!

                  Kind regards,

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 8, 2002
                    No harm no foul but yes I agree with the warning you gave out. I have
                    been online a long time and have heard of similar stories some yes sadly
                    enough have involved people going missing as a result. The SCA is full
                    of great people but even here you find the odd one or two that can ruin
                    it for all if not careful. I look at it this way if people wish to find
                    me and they know what boards I am on and wish to contact me just send me
                    an email :D or they can visit my Legion's website
                    http://embark.to/LegioXXI/

                    Vale
                    Tiberius

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 8, 2002
                      <laugh> I love the dialogue!

                      I like the name Dobrova, too, but when I went to document it, I
                      discovered that I had misread the reference. The actual name was
                      Dobrava (anglicized) or Dabrowka in the true form. It would be
                      properly pronounced dah-BROOV-kah. Dobrova is currently used as a
                      surname and I believe it is also a town in modern Poland.

                      I found the name Kachna on the website for the Academy of St.
                      Gabriel, so I am fairly certain it is period. The name Kachna would
                      be pronounced KASH-na or KACH-na, depending on the region, or so I am
                      told by speakers of modern Polish. I prefer the former. Of course,
                      since dialects have changed, a few hundred years ago it may have been
                      pronounced differently. For all I know 14th and 15th century Slavs
                      may have pronounced it Casper Weinberger. :)

                      Kachna

                      http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 9, 2002
                        On Sunday 08 December 2002 16:18, "lady_dobrova wrote:
                        > For all I know 14th and 15th century Slavs
                        > may have pronounced it Casper Weinberger. :)

                        Or worse: Zbiegnew Brzezinski !

                        fesswise reversed sable.