RE: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Spam

  • Paul Dunn
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 7, 2002
      Welcome to the group
      We all have had a day where a private posting to certain people has
      gone astray ;) and at least you had said something showing you are not a
      spammer.

      Tiberius

        I wanted to take this chance to apologize for the post. It was I who
        posted it. I had just joined this group yesterday, and I added the
        email list to my list of contacts in my hotmail address book. I was
        not intending on posting this message to all of you. I am sorry. When
        I went to forward this email to my friends and family, I had
        forgotten that I had added this email to the address book, and chose
        to pick send to all. I am deeply sorry for this. It will not happen
        again. If you want to, you can take me out of the group, if that is
        what needs to be done. I am truely sorry for any harm done.

        Phoenniix

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "njal_tjorkilsson
        <njal_tjorkilsson@y...>" <njal_tjorkilsson@y...> wrote:
        > Last nite there was a message that came through here that was in
        > essence a chain letter. I have removed the message from the
        database,
        > but this doesn't retrieve the spam (as much as I wish it could).
        >
        > I apologise for the intrusion. We try and keep spam to an absolute
        > minimum. If this starts happening again, i'll shift to a "new
        members
        > must be moderated" like we had early this last year. This is mostly
        > seamless for you, but quite a pain for the moderators who have to
        > personally approve or disapprove each message from new members.
        > Existing memnbers wouldn't be moderated.
        >
        > Hopefully it was a simple error and no changed will have to be
        made.
        > If anyone has any questions or comments please email the Founders/
        > Moderators. This is your club, speak up!
        >
        > Our goal is to have a fun place and discuss and learn about
        medieval
        > history and specifically the SCA without bias. Any messages even
        > remotely related to this are welcome.
        >
        > In Omnia Veritas,
        > Njall Tjorkilsson, KSCA

      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 7, 2002
          On Saturday 07 December 2002 15:14, rod lindsey wrote:
          > Hello everyone, I'm Rod Lindsey's dad and am trying to locate him. I
          > haven't seen or heard from him in nearly a week, I'm beginning to be
          > concerned. If anyone has seen him or knows where he is, please cintact him
          > and tell him to call home. Thanks and sorry for the intrusion.

          Gentlefolk,

          I apologize in advance for the tone of the message I am sending here, because
          it will sound really terrible in light of the above.

          First, let me cut to the chase: If you know Rod Lindsey, feel free to follow
          the instructions above and contact *him* to ask him to call home. But do not
          provide Rod's contact information to this person who says he is Rod's dad.

          Now, before you decide I am a cold-hearted bastard, please let me explain.
          A few months ago, there was a situation in which someone (NOT the person
          posting this time!) posted a very similar message to a list, asking help
          in contacting his son. It turned out that the father was abusive and there
          was actually a court restraining order out against the father, who was
          stalking him. The son was over 18 and lived away from home, and had chosen
          not to disclose his location to his estranged father.

          There is nothing proving that Mr. Dunn even *is* Rod Lindsey's father, so
          it could be a total stranger.

          Mr. Dunn, please know that I am not in *ANY* way
          insinuating that this applies to you. In all likelihood you are a loving
          father genuinely concerned about his son. I hope you will understand that
          I post this message out of concern, and to *protect* Rod from anyone
          who seeks to do him harm, as was the situation with this other family.

          To other members of the list: Giving Mr. Dunn's e-mail address *to* Rod
          Lindsey is fine. If you know Rod, give him a printed copy of the message
          and let him decide what to do. Or, if you are deeply concerned about
          Rod's welfare (e.g., if Rod has mentioned harming himself but is not
          willing to contact his family), contact modern-world (not SCA!) authorities.
          But do not give out Rod's contact information, nor send an e-mail to Rod
          and to this list, because either of those actions could potentially
          expose Rod's identity.

          Again, I sincerely believe it is very likely that this message is genuine,
          but because I have personally seen one case in which such a message was
          *not* genuine, I must urge caution.

          Kind regards,

          Justin...
          Who encountered this situation in an official capacity some months ago,
          and found it extremely disquieting -- so please pardon me if I'm overly
          paranoid now.

          Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        • Paul Dunn
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 7, 2002
            Salve Justin but was not me asking to find this person, All I did was
            welcome somebody.

            Vale Tiberius

            --
            ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
            <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()

          • njal_tjorkilsson <njal_tjorkilsson@yahoo
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 7, 2002
              Hi Phoennix,

              I'm glad it was a simple error, I mean I make em daily so, it's no big
              deal.

              We have had in the past a rash of problems with advertising and
              chainletters being spammed to the group. This was earlier this year.
              We (The founders) decided after members reccomended, to change the
              Moderation guidelines for a while. After several months we went back
              to a wide open policy because basically, it sucks having to approve a
              dozen messages a day.

              No big deal. Nobody is going to "banish" you;)

              Njall

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Welsh <wfa_ffl@h...>"

            • lady_dobrova <allestra@sbcglobal.net>
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 7, 2002
                Hello, Phoeniniix

                At least you get to skip the whole "Hi, my name is so-and-so and I'm
                new" spiel! You already got everyone's attention - what an
                entrance! <snicker>

                Seriously, though, welcome to the group and thanks for admitting your
                oopsy. We all make 'em!

                Dobrova

                Soon to be Kachna (I think)
                Any opinions on the new name?

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 8, 2002
                  On Saturday 07 December 2002 22:01, "lady_dobrova wrote:
                  > Dobrova
                  >
                  > Soon to be Kachna (I think)
                  > Any opinions on the new name?

                  Hmmm... I like Dobrova a lot, but Kachna's pretty, too. If it is pronounced
                  the way it would seem to be, it kind of has an exotic feel as it rolls off
                  the tongue:

                  "Who is that exquisite lady? The one over there by the silk merchant's booth?"

                  "Ahhh, my son, that would be Lady Kachna. Let your eye linger, but your eye
                  only, for that one has a sharp wit that would skewer a young man like you
                  like an olive on a toothpick. Suitors have fought and even died for her
                  attentions, and yet she will have none of them. There are rumors that she
                  has laid a quest, and promised her hand in marriage to the noble prince who
                  fulfills that quest, but an old man, such as I, would have no interest in
                  such things. Quests are for young men with hot blood, and I can see that
                  Lady Kachna has stirred yours. Be careful, lest you win more than you have
                  imagined!"

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 8, 2002
                    On Saturday 07 December 2002 19:11, Paul Dunn wrote:
                    > Salve Justin but was not me asking to find this person, All I did was
                    > welcome somebody.

                    My apologies...I didn't realize that I was looking at *two* messages. As
                    the message arrived here, they were sort of mingled together with nothing
                    obviously separating them. Please forgive the error of mixing your name
                    into this. The warning, though, still stands -- just not related to you!

                    Kind regards,

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 8, 2002
                      No harm no foul but yes I agree with the warning you gave out. I have
                      been online a long time and have heard of similar stories some yes sadly
                      enough have involved people going missing as a result. The SCA is full
                      of great people but even here you find the odd one or two that can ruin
                      it for all if not careful. I look at it this way if people wish to find
                      me and they know what boards I am on and wish to contact me just send me
                      an email :D or they can visit my Legion's website
                      http://embark.to/LegioXXI/

                      Vale
                      Tiberius

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 8, 2002
                        <laugh> I love the dialogue!

                        I like the name Dobrova, too, but when I went to document it, I
                        discovered that I had misread the reference. The actual name was
                        Dobrava (anglicized) or Dabrowka in the true form. It would be
                        properly pronounced dah-BROOV-kah. Dobrova is currently used as a
                        surname and I believe it is also a town in modern Poland.

                        I found the name Kachna on the website for the Academy of St.
                        Gabriel, so I am fairly certain it is period. The name Kachna would
                        be pronounced KASH-na or KACH-na, depending on the region, or so I am
                        told by speakers of modern Polish. I prefer the former. Of course,
                        since dialects have changed, a few hundred years ago it may have been
                        pronounced differently. For all I know 14th and 15th century Slavs
                        may have pronounced it Casper Weinberger. :)

                        Kachna

                        http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 9, 2002
                          On Sunday 08 December 2002 16:18, "lady_dobrova wrote:
                          > For all I know 14th and 15th century Slavs
                          > may have pronounced it Casper Weinberger. :)

                          Or worse: Zbiegnew Brzezinski !

                          fesswise reversed sable.