Re: [SCA Newcomers] Spam

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 7, 2002
      On Saturday 07 December 2002 09:27, "njal_tjorkilsson wrote:
      > Hopefully it was a simple error and no changed will have to be made.
      > If anyone has any questions or comments please email the Founders/
      > Moderators. This is your club, speak up!
      >
      > Our goal is to have a fun place and discuss and learn about medieval
      > history and specifically the SCA without bias. Any messages even
      > remotely related to this are welcome.

      I'm not a newcomer by any means, but this is one of my favorite SCA lists.
      The signal-to-noise ratio is generally much better here than on many other
      lists to which I subscribe. Our Moderators are doing a great job.

      My offer to host this list on my server, ad-free, still stands, should you ever
      want to get away from the YahooGroups pro-spam policies. The existing
      Moderators could continue to do so.

      The chain letter you deleted wasn't one of the more odious ones, in my opinion.
      It was pretty inane, because "trying to fill the days of the year" with a
      birthday on each day is trivially easy on *any* large list. Big deal. But I
      doubt the person posting it had any intent of spamming the list. I've seen this
      kind of chain letter posted by people who are new to the Internet, who mean
      well but just didn't realize how commonplace this kind of thing is.
      Savvy Internet users just discard rather than forwarding these chain letters.

      No harm, no malice, no foul, as I see it. :-) And no complaints at all about
      this list. The Moderators are doing just fine here.

      Kind regards,

      Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • Joseph Welsh <wfa_ffl@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 7, 2002
        I wanted to take this chance to apologize for the post. It was I who
        posted it. I had just joined this group yesterday, and I added the
        email list to my list of contacts in my hotmail address book. I was
        not intending on posting this message to all of you. I am sorry. When
        I went to forward this email to my friends and family, I had
        forgotten that I had added this email to the address book, and chose
        to pick send to all. I am deeply sorry for this. It will not happen
        again. If you want to, you can take me out of the group, if that is
        what needs to be done. I am truely sorry for any harm done.

        Phoenniix

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "njal_tjorkilsson
        <njal_tjorkilsson@y...>" <njal_tjorkilsson@y...> wrote:
        > Last nite there was a message that came through here that was in
        > essence a chain letter. I have removed the message from the
        database,
        > but this doesn't retrieve the spam (as much as I wish it could).
        >
        > I apologise for the intrusion. We try and keep spam to an absolute
        > minimum. If this starts happening again, i'll shift to a "new
        members
        > must be moderated" like we had early this last year. This is mostly
        > seamless for you, but quite a pain for the moderators who have to
        > personally approve or disapprove each message from new members.
        > Existing memnbers wouldn't be moderated.
        >
        > Hopefully it was a simple error and no changed will have to be
        made.
        > If anyone has any questions or comments please email the Founders/
        > Moderators. This is your club, speak up!
        >
        > Our goal is to have a fun place and discuss and learn about
        medieval
        > history and specifically the SCA without bias. Any messages even
        > remotely related to this are welcome.
        >
        > In Omnia Veritas,
        > Njall Tjorkilsson, KSCA
      • Paul Dunn
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 7, 2002
          Welcome to the group
          We all have had a day where a private posting to certain people has
          gone astray ;) and at least you had said something showing you are not a
          spammer.

          Tiberius

          I wanted to take this chance to apologize for the post. It was I who
          posted it. I had just joined this group yesterday, and I added the
          email list to my list of contacts in my hotmail address book. I was
          not intending on posting this message to all of you. I am sorry. When
          I went to forward this email to my friends and family, I had
          forgotten that I had added this email to the address book, and chose
          to pick send to all. I am deeply sorry for this. It will not happen
          again. If you want to, you can take me out of the group, if that is
          what needs to be done. I am truely sorry for any harm done.

          Phoenniix

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "njal_tjorkilsson
          <njal_tjorkilsson@y...>" <njal_tjorkilsson@y...> wrote:
          > Last nite there was a message that came through here that was in
          > essence a chain letter. I have removed the message from the
          database,
          > but this doesn't retrieve the spam (as much as I wish it could).
          >
          > I apologise for the intrusion. We try and keep spam to an absolute
          > minimum. If this starts happening again, i'll shift to a "new
          members
          > must be moderated" like we had early this last year. This is mostly
          > seamless for you, but quite a pain for the moderators who have to
          > personally approve or disapprove each message from new members.
          > Existing memnbers wouldn't be moderated.
          >
          > Hopefully it was a simple error and no changed will have to be
          made.
          > If anyone has any questions or comments please email the Founders/
          > Moderators. This is your club, speak up!
          >
          > Our goal is to have a fun place and discuss and learn about
          medieval
          > history and specifically the SCA without bias. Any messages even
          > remotely related to this are welcome.
          >
          > In Omnia Veritas,
          > Njall Tjorkilsson, KSCA

        • rod lindsey

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 7, 2002
              On Saturday 07 December 2002 15:14, rod lindsey wrote:
              > Hello everyone, I'm Rod Lindsey's dad and am trying to locate him. I
              > haven't seen or heard from him in nearly a week, I'm beginning to be
              > concerned. If anyone has seen him or knows where he is, please cintact him
              > and tell him to call home. Thanks and sorry for the intrusion.

              Gentlefolk,

              I apologize in advance for the tone of the message I am sending here, because
              it will sound really terrible in light of the above.

              First, let me cut to the chase: If you know Rod Lindsey, feel free to follow
              the instructions above and contact *him* to ask him to call home. But do not
              provide Rod's contact information to this person who says he is Rod's dad.

              Now, before you decide I am a cold-hearted bastard, please let me explain.
              A few months ago, there was a situation in which someone (NOT the person
              posting this time!) posted a very similar message to a list, asking help
              in contacting his son. It turned out that the father was abusive and there
              was actually a court restraining order out against the father, who was
              stalking him. The son was over 18 and lived away from home, and had chosen
              not to disclose his location to his estranged father.

              There is nothing proving that Mr. Dunn even *is* Rod Lindsey's father, so
              it could be a total stranger.

              Mr. Dunn, please know that I am not in *ANY* way
              insinuating that this applies to you. In all likelihood you are a loving
              father genuinely concerned about his son. I hope you will understand that
              I post this message out of concern, and to *protect* Rod from anyone
              who seeks to do him harm, as was the situation with this other family.

              To other members of the list: Giving Mr. Dunn's e-mail address *to* Rod
              Lindsey is fine. If you know Rod, give him a printed copy of the message
              and let him decide what to do. Or, if you are deeply concerned about
              Rod's welfare (e.g., if Rod has mentioned harming himself but is not
              willing to contact his family), contact modern-world (not SCA!) authorities.
              But do not give out Rod's contact information, nor send an e-mail to Rod
              and to this list, because either of those actions could potentially
              expose Rod's identity.

              Again, I sincerely believe it is very likely that this message is genuine,
              but because I have personally seen one case in which such a message was
              *not* genuine, I must urge caution.

              Kind regards,

              Justin...
              Who encountered this situation in an official capacity some months ago,
              and found it extremely disquieting -- so please pardon me if I'm overly
              paranoid now.

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 7, 2002
                Salve Justin but was not me asking to find this person, All I did was
                welcome somebody.

                Vale Tiberius

                --
                ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
                <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()

              • njal_tjorkilsson <njal_tjorkilsson@yahoo
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 7, 2002
                  Hi Phoennix,

                  I'm glad it was a simple error, I mean I make em daily so, it's no big
                  deal.

                  We have had in the past a rash of problems with advertising and
                  chainletters being spammed to the group. This was earlier this year.
                  We (The founders) decided after members reccomended, to change the
                  Moderation guidelines for a while. After several months we went back
                  to a wide open policy because basically, it sucks having to approve a
                  dozen messages a day.

                  No big deal. Nobody is going to "banish" you;)

                  Njall

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Welsh <wfa_ffl@h...>"

                • lady_dobrova <allestra@sbcglobal.net>
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 7, 2002
                    Hello, Phoeniniix

                    At least you get to skip the whole "Hi, my name is so-and-so and I'm
                    new" spiel! You already got everyone's attention - what an
                    entrance! <snicker>

                    Seriously, though, welcome to the group and thanks for admitting your
                    oopsy. We all make 'em!

                    Dobrova

                    Soon to be Kachna (I think)
                    Any opinions on the new name?

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 8, 2002
                      On Saturday 07 December 2002 22:01, "lady_dobrova wrote:
                      > Dobrova
                      >
                      > Soon to be Kachna (I think)
                      > Any opinions on the new name?

                      Hmmm... I like Dobrova a lot, but Kachna's pretty, too. If it is pronounced
                      the way it would seem to be, it kind of has an exotic feel as it rolls off
                      the tongue:

                      "Who is that exquisite lady? The one over there by the silk merchant's booth?"

                      "Ahhh, my son, that would be Lady Kachna. Let your eye linger, but your eye
                      only, for that one has a sharp wit that would skewer a young man like you
                      like an olive on a toothpick. Suitors have fought and even died for her
                      attentions, and yet she will have none of them. There are rumors that she
                      has laid a quest, and promised her hand in marriage to the noble prince who
                      fulfills that quest, but an old man, such as I, would have no interest in
                      such things. Quests are for young men with hot blood, and I can see that
                      Lady Kachna has stirred yours. Be careful, lest you win more than you have
                      imagined!"

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 8, 2002
                        On Saturday 07 December 2002 19:11, Paul Dunn wrote:
                        > Salve Justin but was not me asking to find this person, All I did was
                        > welcome somebody.

                        My apologies...I didn't realize that I was looking at *two* messages. As
                        the message arrived here, they were sort of mingled together with nothing
                        obviously separating them. Please forgive the error of mixing your name
                        into this. The warning, though, still stands -- just not related to you!

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 8, 2002
                          No harm no foul but yes I agree with the warning you gave out. I have
                          been online a long time and have heard of similar stories some yes sadly
                          enough have involved people going missing as a result. The SCA is full
                          of great people but even here you find the odd one or two that can ruin
                          it for all if not careful. I look at it this way if people wish to find
                          me and they know what boards I am on and wish to contact me just send me
                          an email :D or they can visit my Legion's website
                          http://embark.to/LegioXXI/

                          Vale
                          Tiberius

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 8, 2002
                            <laugh> I love the dialogue!

                            I like the name Dobrova, too, but when I went to document it, I
                            discovered that I had misread the reference. The actual name was
                            Dobrava (anglicized) or Dabrowka in the true form. It would be
                            properly pronounced dah-BROOV-kah. Dobrova is currently used as a
                            surname and I believe it is also a town in modern Poland.

                            I found the name Kachna on the website for the Academy of St.
                            Gabriel, so I am fairly certain it is period. The name Kachna would
                            be pronounced KASH-na or KACH-na, depending on the region, or so I am
                            told by speakers of modern Polish. I prefer the former. Of course,
                            since dialects have changed, a few hundred years ago it may have been
                            pronounced differently. For all I know 14th and 15th century Slavs
                            may have pronounced it Casper Weinberger. :)

                            Kachna

                            http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 9, 2002
                              On Sunday 08 December 2002 16:18, "lady_dobrova wrote:
                              > For all I know 14th and 15th century Slavs
                              > may have pronounced it Casper Weinberger. :)

                              Or worse: Zbiegnew Brzezinski !

                              fesswise reversed sable.