Re: [SCA Newcomers] Dressing above my class

  • njal_tjorkilsson
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 22, 2002
      Sumptuary Laws...ironic that we are in the process of organizing these
      the Known World over right now.

      Essentially there are some basics, certain colors of belts
      specifically, certain types of coronets/ circlets etc. that are
      restricted. Beyond that it is set in kingdom sumptuary law whether
      anything else is restricted. Chains originally for us were part of the
      knighting ceremony, as were spurs. But equestrians and cavaliers use
      them too now. Squires wear chains in some places. So do peers of the
      other orders.
      Right or wrong, it is happening.

      I'll say for the record, that a belt, chain and spurs do not make a
      knight. I can see some limitations in sumptuary laws, but some are
      ridiculous.

      If someone dresses nice in beautiful garb that would be fit for a
      king, cool! Wearing a circlet. Ok.

      The difficult thing is to define where we draw the line. Should we
      just open it up so anyone can wear crowns and white belts? Probably
      not. These are symbols of something.

      To be perfectly honest, i'm not sure where that line should be. I
      don't want to take away from anyone's fun. But wearing regalia beyond
      "our station" takes away too. I can't see changing th rules to take
      away regalia from say...Cavaliers or equestrians. Nor can I see
      allowing people who haven't done the work, service and time to wear
      say, a white belt.

      I don't think we need to alter the rules either way, we just need to
      clarify some definitions in some areas. The "rules" are already there
      if you look.

      This is just my personal view of course.

      Njall Tjorkilsson, KSCA