Re: [SCA Newcomers] Period fabrics and colors

  • Lilith2592@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 18, 2002
      i am aware that royalty may have had cloth of silver and cloth of gold, which
      would have been cloth made from finely made strands of actual gold and
      silver, or would have been regular cloth with strands of gold or silver woven
      in. as for the satin, i'm not sure. i want to say that they would have made
      it out of silk and that it would have had less of a sheen to it than it does
      today. but i'm not sure about that exacatly.

      ~Erin
    • lady_dobrova
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 18, 2002
        The more I think about it the more I suspect that I don't know what I
        am talking about. :)

        My descriptions of "gold" and "silver" are probably not accurate. I
        think I called them by those names because of the shiny texture of
        satin. They would probably be more accurately called "yellow"
        and "gray." I did not mean a *true* metallic.

        Forgive my bad description. I have been fighting a cold for three
        weeks now. My brain has sublet part of its cavity to my sinuses so
        they can carry on business as usual. As a result, my thought
        processes have become unreliable at best.

        Dobrova

      • Lilith2592@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 19, 2002
          yellow and grey would both be period. the deepest Yellows would have been made from saffron most likely. I'm not sure what dye would have been used to make grey but i know they had it.

          ~Erin