Re: [SCA Newcomers] watch out!

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2002
      On Monday 18 November 2002 00:12, Just call me 'Shadow.. wrote:
      > > **Hi All! I saw this posted and thought I'd post it
      > > here too.
      > > Someone has been joining communities with the
      > > nickname YAHOO
      > > COMMUNITY
      > > MONITOR, and then posting the following:

      Important safety tip:

      Any time someone claiming to be a system administrator or otherwise a person
      in authority for an online service that you use, asks you to do something "for"
      them that involves use of your password....be immediately suspicious.

      I am a system administrator of a number of web sites, several co-located
      servers, an e-mail system, and am the site administrator over about 18 email
      lists. I can tell you with absolute certainty that there is *nothing* that I
      would need to ask a user to do "for" me with their password. As site
      administrator, I have master passwords that let me do anything I need to do.

      If a self-proclaimed sysadmin asks for your password, they are not a sysadmin,
      or they are so grossly incompetent that they *shouldn't* be one. Asking for
      a user's password is extremely poor security practice, and any competent
      sysadmin knows this. At worst case, if they *really* need to login as "you"
      rather than under their administrative account, they can change your
      password to something of their choice, do what needs to be done, then tell
      you the new password and let you change it back on your own. They should never
      ask you to tell them your password or to give them administrative access to
      resources you control, because if they are who they claim, they don't need
      to do so.

      In short...the advice posted in the email I have quoted above is sound. If you
      administer other YahooGroups lists, don't be fooled by this imposter claiming
      to be a moderator administrator for Yahoo. It's a blatant lie.

      Kind regards,

      Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/