new member

  • moniqueborda
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 11, 2002
      Ok, it was fate. My mother took me to a faire in PA, and needless to
      say, I was hooked. I'm interested in joining sca. What's the next
      step? Do I need to wear the proper garb? (Yes, I showed up at the
      faire in jeans, left with a dress and cloak!) I'm now looking a
      purchasing another dress from Grey Cat Designs. Any input?? Thanks
      in advance!!

      Monique <--is there a list of "period" names I can search?
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 11, 2002
        On Monday 11 November 2002 18:05, moniqueborda wrote:
        > My mother took me to a faire in PA, and needless to
        > say, I was hooked.

        So, whereabouts do you live in PA? Did someone mention that you are very
        close to the largest SCA event in the whole world, the Pennsic War? Pictures
        abound at http://www.pennsic.net/ or on my own web site at
        http://4th.com/sca/justin/ if you want to check it out. This entire part of
        the country is a good place to live if you're SCAdian, because we have a lot
        of very active groups around here.

        Welcome!!

        Justin
        (Who lives across the border from you in northeastern Ohio)

        Maistor Iustinos Tekton called Justin, Publisher and Webmaster
        SCAtoday.net -- Your independent source for news of the Current Middle Ages

        justin@... http://scatoday.net/
      • Arden and Juliana
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 11, 2002
          Greetings Monique, and welcome!

          That's pretty much how it happened to us too... took the kids to the
          Excalibur Faire in Texas and the rest is history LOL.

          There's a website with lots of information about the SCA at www.sca.org, and
          there's a medieval names archive at http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/.
          You should be able to find links to various interests (fighting, brewing,
          fiber arts, calligraphy and illumination, and so on) from the main SCA web
          page, but if you need help let me know and I'll try to track down some more
          specific sites.

          I don't know what the protocols for the groups are in PA, but here when we
          have our local meetings we wear our garb. If you're ever in doubt, it never
          hurts to ask. With regard to large events, garb is usually expected. There
          are a lot of sewing and how-to sites out there on the web, and I've found it
          easy and economical to throw together t-tunics, shirts and chemises from old
          but good-condition bed sheets that we purchase from thrift stores. I've not
          bought any garb from merchants yet so unfortunately I can't guide you in
          that respect.

          I'm not from PA but grew up near there, in northern WV (Fairmont and
          Morgantown area). We're hoping to make it out to Pennsic one year, probably
          not next year but maybe the year after, depending on how our Mundane
          fortunes go. However if you ever travel out to Calontir (we have a great
          event called Lilies in June of each year - it's a blast!) I'd love to meet
          you in person and show you around a little. You can reach me by either
          responding to this message, or at my e-mail address -
          julianafoxcroft@....

          Again welcome! Hope you find the SCA experience as enlightening and
          fulfilling as my family and I have thus far.

          Lady Juliana Foxcroft
          Barony of Forgotten Sea (Kansas City)
          Kingdom of Calontir

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 15, 2002
            In a message dated 11/12/2002 10:20:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

            > Ok, it was fate. My mother took me to a faire in PA, and needless to
            > say, I was hooked. I'm interested in joining sca. What's the next
            > step? Do I need to wear the proper garb? (Yes, I showed up at the
            > faire in jeans, left with a dress and cloak!) I'm now looking a
            > purchasing another dress from Grey Cat Designs. Any input?? Thanks
            > in advance!!
            >
            > Monique <--is there a list of "period" names I can search?

            Hi, Monique!
            I live near the PA Renfaire; where are you located? Or was this another
            faire that the SCA was involved in?
            Your next step is to locate your local group and get in touch with them, as
            they will be best situated to help you get started. Yes, you will need to
            wear garb for events, but not necessarily for local activities such as
            meetings or practices - that varies from area to area.

            There are a whole bunch of period names here:
            http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/
            but it might be helpful if you have an idea of what country and time period
            you want to be from first...you don't have to pick a name right away.

            Brangwayna
            Chatelaine (newcomer welcome person) of the Shire of Silver Rylle, in which
            the PA Renfaire resides.

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 15, 2002
              In a message dated 11/12/2002 10:20:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

              > With regard to large events, garb is usually expected.

              I find it interesting that people keep saying this.
              SCA rules REQUIRE garb at events, large or small. It's not just expected, or
              suggested.

              What I would say is expected, but not required, is that people provide their
              own garb. Most groups either have a closet of loaner stuff, or people who
              are willing to loan you their spare garb for the day, especially if you are
              either new or not able to be very active. You have to be in garb, but you do
              not necessarily have to provide it yourself.

            • williamn14
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 11, 2002
                Hello and well met. I finally posted my pic in the members folder so
                I hope that was the correct folder. My pic is titled William the
                Rogue. I haven't joined SCA yet but will soon. First I want to
                develop a character from the late 16th or early 17th century. I want
                him to be a rogue/swordsman. Kinda shows I'm new to this. Been
                going to the Michigan Renaissance Festival for years and want to
                expand my experience to this thru SCA and it's events. Any help on
                costuming and character development will be appreciated. Would like
                to keep within the costume rules and keep costs down. Thank you.

                William the Rogue (WilliamN14)