Re: [SCA Newcomers] Garb from website

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2002
      In a message dated 11/2/2002 11:32:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > I would like to get the opinion of an
      > experienced SCAdian (or two or twenty) before I spent a few hundred
      > dollars on a dress. Could you tell me if any of the gowns they sell
      > are truly period?

      Well, I looked at three of the items - the hosen, the Celtic Dress, and the
      Journe dress.

      The hosen are totally modern tights except for the fact that they have a
      drawstring waist (and I'm not aware of any period hosen with drawstring waist
      either). They are cotton spandex, and as such, fit nothing like period
      hosen.

      The so-called Celtic dress is known to be a RenFaire invention, especially
      the chemise with the gathered sleeves with tthe trim running up them.
      Calling anything "Celtic" in the Middle Ages and Renaissance is about as
      meaningless as calling something "European".

      The Journe dress initially looks good, since they even give you the picture
      they took it from. But there's no date on the picture, and if you enlarge
      it, you see that it differs in many ways form the dress they claim to have
      recreated from it. For example, the picture shows a little shoulder cape or
      partlet, and the top of the overgown is decidely square, with shoulder straps
      which appear to be tied on. You can't see the sides of the dress in the
      picture at all. But their gown has no partlet, a rounded neckline, and no
      straps, and has clearly visible side lacing.

      That said, you will see things like these at any SCA event, and they are far
      better than some attempts. If you want something that's decent enough to
      start off with, and it's within your price range, you could do worse than
      their clothes.