couples personas?

  • rws1995
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2002
      My wife and I want to join SCA and are working on trying to find a
      personas from the same time. We have questions I'm hoping someone
      can help us with.

      I hear the terms 'late period'and 'early period' used a lot. Any
      particular centuries to associate...Also what is most prevalent in
      SCA?

      for instance would prior to 1400 be early?

      I've been trying to research, and it looks like plate became very
      popular in 1400's??? I'm assuming at that point Leather armor and
      ChainMail (sp?) became less popular....

      I understand rapier fighting is typically late period. However, how
      early did it start. Any ideas? My wifes interested in rapier, and
      I'm looking potentially at heavy.

      Any insight would be appreciated. In fact if you know of any good
      reference books on armor, and garb that would be so awesome. (Or a
      really good web site, I'm finding conflicting info on the web.)

      Thanks to all,
      Ryan
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2002
        On Friday 01 November 2002 18:46, rws1995 wrote:
        > My wife and I want to join SCA and are working on trying to find a
        > personas from the same time. We have questions I'm hoping someone
        > can help us with.
        >
        > I hear the terms 'late period'and 'early period' used a lot. Any
        > particular centuries to associate...Also what is most prevalent in
        > SCA?

        My lady and I do early 11th Century Byzantine. I am a merchant's son from
        the outskirts of Constantinople, and she is the daughter of a freedman
        (ex-slave) from what is now called Serbia. Originally the Byzantine was
        my idea, and Milica was going to do Germanic, but she saw how comfortable
        the Byzantine ladies' garb could be (the informal stuff, at least) and
        decided to go that way because she could wear cool, loose-fitting things
        at summer events like Pennsic.

        I'm not trying to push you this way, just suggesting that you look at all
        your options, not just Western Europe. You will find most of the SCA are
        Western European personae, but not everyone.

        Good luck with whatever you choose. :-)

        Maistor Iustinos Tekton called Justin, Publisher and Webmaster
        SCAtoday.net -- Your independent source for news of the Current Middle Ages

        justin@... http://scatoday.net/