Finding a time and place

  • Courtney Ramirez
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
      Hi all!

      I am brand brand new to SCA�.our first meeting in on Saturday. I have been doing a lot of research online and have been tossing around persona ideas. I do like certain names and certain types of dress, but I soon realized that it would be absurd to choose a persona just based on these small things. So I was wondering if I could get the lists help. Maybe if I shared what I was interested in, someone might be able to guide me in a cultural direction. What time period and place would fit for me? I am interested in participating in drama, beadwork, baking/cooking, sewing and candlemaking. My husband is primarily interested in the fighting and the brewing. Where and when would we fit together?

      Thank you so much!
      Courtney

    • lady_dobrova
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
        Welcome, Courtney!

        I am something of a newcomer myself, but I think I can put in my
        tuppence on this one. I believe most of your interests would fit
        into any given time period. After all, there has always been
        fighting, and I think everything else you mentioned was going on
        throughout the time period the SCA uses. Food preparation and
        clothing construction are timeless. Drama has been with us since
        long before our period and I believe the ancient Eqyptians were
        already brewing when my ancestors were "plowing up the earth with the
        arse bone of a giraffe." I'm not sure when candles and beadwork hit
        the scene, but I wouldn't base my persona on these things.

        I think you should go with whatever culture and time period interest
        you and then get involved in any crafts and activities that strike
        your fancy. I don't think anyone will say "Uh, 12th century Russian
        women didn't *do* that!"

        Good luck!

        Dobrova

        PS Don't rule out basing your persona on clothing you like. After
        all - you're the one who will be wearing it! Same for your name.
        Don't choose a name you won't like hearing every day.

        --- In scanewcomers@y..., Courtney Ramirez <courtneyhooligan@y...>
        wrote:

        > Hi all!
        >

        > I am brand brand new to SCA….our first meeting in on Saturday. I
        have been doing a lot of research online and have been tossing around
        persona ideas. I do like certain names and certain types of dress,
        but I soon realized that it would be absurd to choose a persona just
        based on these small things. So I was wondering if I could get the
        lists help. Maybe if I shared what I was interested in, someone
        might be able to guide me in a cultural direction. What time period
        and place would fit for me? I am interested in participating in
        drama, beadwork, baking/cooking, sewing and candlemaking. My husband
        is primarily interested in the fighting and the brewing. Where and
        when would we fit together?

        > Thank you so much!
        > Courtney

      • Courtney Ramirez
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
          Thank you dobrova! I really appreciate your input! I guess I just was afraid of someone saying exactly that (someone in such and such time period wouldn't do that). So I'm free to be Isabetta Bancozi! (my trial name!)
          Courtney
          lady_dobrova <allestra@...> wrote:Welcome, Courtney!

          wrote:

          > Hi all!
          >

          > I am brand brand new to SCA�.our first meeting in on Saturday. I
          have been doing a lot of research online and have been tossing around
          persona ideas. I do like certain names and certain types of dress,
          but I soon realized that it would be absurd to choose a persona just
          based on these small things. So I was wondering if I could get the
          lists help. Maybe if I shared what I was interested in, someone
          might be able to guide me in a cultural direction. What time period
          and place would fit for me? I am interested in participating in
          drama, beadwork, baking/cooking, sewing and candlemaking. My husband
          is primarily interested in the fighting and the brewing. Where and
          when would we fit together?

          > Thank you so much!
          > Courtney

        • Tina Paxton
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
            If someone is so discourtesy to say such a thing, I
            believe a proper reply would be, "I am bewildered by
            your words, Mi'lord/lady. The kind stranger from a
            far land taught me this wonderous craft."

            In the Current Middle Ages, we do not understand
            time-travel, so those who are dressed differently or
            engaged in unfamiliar activities are from a foreign
            land as far as we can figure. What a wonderful
            opportunity to learn of these distance lands!

            wrote:

> [...]
            > >
            > > Hi all!
            > >

            > > I am brand brand new to SCA�.our first meeting in
            > on Saturday. I
            > have been doing a lot of research online and have
            > been tossing around
            > persona ideas. I do like certain names and certain
            > types of dress,
            > but I soon realized that it would be absurd to
            > choose a persona just
            > based on these small things. So I was wondering if
            > I could get the
            > lists help. Maybe if I shared what I was interested
            > in, someone
            > might be able to guide me in a cultural direction.
            > What time period
            > and place would fit for me? I am interested in
            > participating in
            > drama, beadwork, baking/cooking, sewing and
            > candlemaking. My husband
            > is primarily interested in the fighting and the

            =====
            Tina (read my blog: http://tinasfiberadventures.blogspot.com/)

            "She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight. She considers a field and buys it; From her earnings she plants a vineyard. She stretches out her hands to the distaff, And her hands grasp the spindle. She extends her hand to the poor, And she stretches out her hands to the needy. She looks well to the ways of her household, And does not eat the bread of idleness.

            HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
            http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
              On Friday 01 November 2002 23:24, lady_dobrova wrote:
              > I think you should go with whatever culture and time period interest
              > you and then get involved in any crafts and activities that strike
              > your fancy. I don't think anyone will say "Uh, 12th century Russian
              > women didn't *do* that!"

              Definitely true. Take, for example, the notion of women being warriors
              and even Knights. In the Middle Ages, in many cultures, this was rather
              a rare or even non-existent thing. In the SCA, we consciously make a
              decision to forego authenticity of gender roles in the name of letting
              everyone have an equal chance to have fun.

              A woman who wants to fight in the SCA can either:

              1. Pick a persona for which this would be reasonable,
              2. Create an alternative persona who is a male,
              or
              3. Simply declare that she wishes to fight, and not worry about it.

              In twelve years, I've met a handful of women who chose #1, exactly two who
              chose #2, and the rest of the female fighters have chosen #3 for simplicity.

              We often say that we do the Middle Ages as they should have been. This means
              sexism and racism are left behind in the so-called "modern" world. :-)

              The nice thing about this, from my perspective as a male, is that the same
              policy works in reverse. I am free to choose to learn and practice arts and
              sciences that were traditionally female, and no one says, "A man would never
              have done such things!" Liberation works for everyone. :-)

              Do what you like to do, share it with others of like interest, and have fun.

              Maistor Iustinos Tekton called Justin, Publisher and Webmaster
              SCAtoday.net -- Your independent source for news of the Current Middle Ages

              justin@... http://scatoday.net/
            • chemistbb3
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2002
                "Not as it was, but as it should have been."

                From 10 years ago, a quote from the items made for the 20th
                anniversary of the Barony of Stargate.

                William
                (What do you me I can't jump him, knock him to the ground, and stab
                him through the eye slit in a melee? It's period! LOL)

                --- In scanewcomers@y..., Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@4...>