Re: [SCA Newcomers] Garb from website

  • potwhole
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
      Does swan lace have a website? Thanks, Karen
      who has garb from Ophelia's, and loves it. www.fairewear.com
      but note that the website does not have all of her items on it

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
        not to my knowledge, but if i get a few minute on
        sunday i will try to go ask them

        HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
        http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2002
          In a message dated 11/2/2002 11:32:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

          > I would like to get the opinion of an
          > experienced SCAdian (or two or twenty) before I spent a few hundred
          > dollars on a dress. Could you tell me if any of the gowns they sell
          > are truly period?

          Well, I looked at three of the items - the hosen, the Celtic Dress, and the
          Journe dress.

          The hosen are totally modern tights except for the fact that they have a
          drawstring waist (and I'm not aware of any period hosen with drawstring waist
          either). They are cotton spandex, and as such, fit nothing like period
          hosen.

          The so-called Celtic dress is known to be a RenFaire invention, especially
          the chemise with the gathered sleeves with tthe trim running up them.
          Calling anything "Celtic" in the Middle Ages and Renaissance is about as
          meaningless as calling something "European".

          The Journe dress initially looks good, since they even give you the picture
          they took it from. But there's no date on the picture, and if you enlarge
          it, you see that it differs in many ways form the dress they claim to have
          recreated from it. For example, the picture shows a little shoulder cape or
          partlet, and the top of the overgown is decidely square, with shoulder straps
          which appear to be tied on. You can't see the sides of the dress in the
          picture at all. But their gown has no partlet, a rounded neckline, and no
          straps, and has clearly visible side lacing.

          That said, you will see things like these at any SCA event, and they are far
          better than some attempts. If you want something that's decent enough to
          start off with, and it's within your price range, you could do worse than
          their clothes.