Re: [SCA Newcomers] Garb from website

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
      On Friday 01 November 2002 13:56, lady_dobrova wrote:
      > I would like to purchase one decent period gown to wear
      > until my sewing skills improve to the point where I am stitching more
      > fabric than flesh.

      "You see stitching flesh as a...a *problem*?" asked the Chirurgeon, an innocent
      smile on his face. "How odd, indeed." ;-)

      Deputy War Chirurgeon -- Pennsic XXXII

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • lady_dobrova
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
        Thank you, Lisabetta, for your input. Could you expand on that a
        bit? When you say they are not good for normal wear, do you mean
        they are inappropriate or do you mean they are not well made for a
        good rugby match?

        Thanks,

        Dobrova the underdressed

        --- In scanewcomers@y..., Lisabetta mka Kimberly
        <lisabetta_micola_damonte@y...> wrote:
        > a wonderful person to order from is my seamtress daisy
        > with outlandish threads.. their website is
        > www.outlandishthreads.com
        >
        > as far as http://www.medievalclothes.com/
        >
        > I was in their booth last weekend, they are okay but
        > a little pricey.. and not good for normal wear, but
        > okay for court garb
        >

        > hugs bett

      • lady_dobrova
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
          Stitching flesh is not a problem. Stitching fabric is not a
          problem. Stitching the two together is both uncomfortable and
          unfashionable. :)

          Dobrova
          whose left index finger is now part of an oversized sideless surcoat

          http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          > PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey
        • Lisabetta mka Kimberly
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
            They use lots of velvet, which just doesn't hold up
            wear, to wear as daytime garb at most events.

            --- lady_dobrova <allestra@...> wrote:
            > Thank you, Lisabetta, for your input. Could you
            > expand on that a
            > bit? When you say they are not good for normal
            > wear, do you mean
            > they are inappropriate or do you mean they are not
            > well made for a
            > good rugby match?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Dobrova the underdressed
            >

            > --- In scanewcomers@y..., Lisabetta mka Kimberly
            > <lisabetta_micola_damonte@y...> wrote:
            > > a wonderful person to order from is my seamtress
            > daisy
            > > with outlandish threads.. their website is
            > > www.outlandishthreads.com
            > >
            > > as far as http://www.medievalclothes.com/
            > >
            > > I was in their booth last weekend, they are okay
            > but
            > > a little pricey.. and not good for normal wear,
            > but
            > > okay for court garb
            > >

            > > hugs bett

            HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
            http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
          • lady_dobrova
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
              So, if I bought one of their dresses, I would have to be very careful
              with it. But no one would look oddly at me for being inappropriately
              dressed? I am looking for a quick fix here, I guess.

              Wanted: One dress - NOW!

              Thanks,

              Dobrova - who really should be working right now!

              --- In scanewcomers@y..., Lisabetta mka Kimberly
              <lisabetta_micola_damonte@y...> wrote:
              > They use lots of velvet, which just doesn't hold up
              > wear, to wear as daytime garb at most events.
              >
              > --- lady_dobrova <allestra@s...> wrote:
              > > Thank you, Lisabetta, for your input. Could you
              > > expand on that a
              > > bit? When you say they are not good for normal
              > > wear, do you mean
              > > they are inappropriate or do you mean they are not
              > > well made for a
              > > good rugby match?
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > Dobrova the underdressed
            • Lisabetta mka Kimberly
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
                quicker cheaper fix.. go vist swan lace, at trf get an
                over dress and underdress from them. Will cost you
                about 200 total.. they are next to indesturable.. if
                you there on sunday I will prolly be wearing one... i
                own two..

                --- lady_dobrova <allestra@...> wrote:
                > So, if I bought one of their dresses, I would have
                > to be very careful
                > with it. But no one would look oddly at me for
                > being inappropriately
                > dressed? I am looking for a quick fix here, I
                > guess.
                >
                > Wanted: One dress - NOW!
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Dobrova - who really should be working right now!
                >

                > --- In scanewcomers@y..., Lisabetta mka Kimberly
                > <lisabetta_micola_damonte@y...> wrote:
                > > They use lots of velvet, which just doesn't hold
                > up
                > > wear, to wear as daytime garb at most events.
                > >
                > > --- lady_dobrova <allestra@s...> wrote:
                > > > Thank you, Lisabetta, for your input. Could you
                > > > expand on that a
                > > > bit? When you say they are not good for normal
                > > > wear, do you mean
                > > > they are inappropriate or do you mean they are
                > not
                > > > well made for a
                > > > good rugby match?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks,
                > > >
                > > > Dobrova the underdressed

                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
                http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
              • potwhole
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
                  Does swan lace have a website? Thanks, Karen
                  who has garb from Ophelia's, and loves it. www.fairewear.com
                  but note that the website does not have all of her items on it

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
                    not to my knowledge, but if i get a few minute on
                    sunday i will try to go ask them

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 2, 2002
                      In a message dated 11/2/2002 11:32:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

                      > I would like to get the opinion of an
                      > experienced SCAdian (or two or twenty) before I spent a few hundred
                      > dollars on a dress. Could you tell me if any of the gowns they sell
                      > are truly period?

                      Well, I looked at three of the items - the hosen, the Celtic Dress, and the
                      Journe dress.

                      The hosen are totally modern tights except for the fact that they have a
                      drawstring waist (and I'm not aware of any period hosen with drawstring waist
                      either). They are cotton spandex, and as such, fit nothing like period
                      hosen.

                      The so-called Celtic dress is known to be a RenFaire invention, especially
                      the chemise with the gathered sleeves with tthe trim running up them.
                      Calling anything "Celtic" in the Middle Ages and Renaissance is about as
                      meaningless as calling something "European".

                      The Journe dress initially looks good, since they even give you the picture
                      they took it from. But there's no date on the picture, and if you enlarge
                      it, you see that it differs in many ways form the dress they claim to have
                      recreated from it. For example, the picture shows a little shoulder cape or
                      partlet, and the top of the overgown is decidely square, with shoulder straps
                      which appear to be tied on. You can't see the sides of the dress in the
                      picture at all. But their gown has no partlet, a rounded neckline, and no
                      straps, and has clearly visible side lacing.

                      That said, you will see things like these at any SCA event, and they are far
                      better than some attempts. If you want something that's decent enough to
                      start off with, and it's within your price range, you could do worse than
                      their clothes.